a kuksa for mrs fish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
and yep its gonna be a kuksa! this one will be a christmas prezzy for mrs fish. the grain and spalting on this piece is really fine ,for the handle i will carve a beech leaf,i saw a birch burl kuksa on my kuksa flikr group with a birch leaf for a handle,and was very impressed by it!

DSC00650-1.jpg

thanks for looking.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
That will be Mr Mac, a very nice spoon carver from Devon and he is from this Parish as well. Very nice work Mr fish and a lovely pressie for the Lovely Mrs fish, nice one .
Cheers the interceptor boy.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I'm exceedingly jealous (in a good way!).
I tried to start my very first kuksa today, having found a nice bit of birch log yesterday morning whilst out with the dogs before work. I couldn't find a suitable bit of oak to make a splitting wedge without lopping off a biggish branch from a tree and I didn't want to do that, so I opted for a bit of holly as I read somewhere that that is hard - hard to chop into a workable wedge maybe!
Anyway, the upshot of it all is that I eventually did my log splitting with a bolster and chisel; now I have to smooth out the workable face (do I have to get rid of all the middle bit - may be a small kuksa, this one!) and chop it round.
Lessons learnt so far; try and find a nice stable platform for chopping on, and try and cut your logs square ended so they balance easier.
Not everything is as easy as it looks on Youtube.
It really is worth taking the time to choose the right bit of log for any given project...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE