Pear spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Finally finished this off. It's taken countless mini sessions, but the wood had such a nice grain. It did start off quite a bright orange/peach colour but it has matured and toned down quite a bit, it was lovely to carve.

The kolrosing is a bit basic and rough but it's my second attempt so I'll try and do something a bit smoother and complex on the next one, I also burnished this spoon which I've never done before, I'm quite impressed with the finish from it. The handle is a bit chunky for my liking but again the next spoon will hopefully iron that out.

20220203_111111.jpg20220203_111156.jpg20220203_111121.jpg20220203_111106.jpg20220203_111128.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You are so absolutely right about the grain. That was truly something to work for. We get so much conifer soft wood here, any fruit wood (apple, pear, etc) is a very rare and expensive commodity.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m in agreement with my fellow Bognor born man above, it looks excellent and well worth the effort.

When I worked as a tree surgeon at SSE, we formed a lunchtime collective Spoon Carving Society that sat in the woods and carved spoons, pointy sticks, long forks etc. Didn’t matter how long it took, or whether you bunged it in the fire in a mood because it had gone wrong (to the cry of “Wilson!”). The one rule was no power tools.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you all for the kind comments :)

@Nice65 spoon club sounds quality!
It was good fun, had to be hand made, sandpaper for the smoothing, and there were some mega (cauldron stirrer) and mini spoons (tea spoons) created. Only rule of spoon club, no powertools. Sandpaper certainly, lots of grades.

The whole rise in fuel and energy costs is because us lot couldn’t drag ourselves back to work when at a crucial or emotional part of the process of carving spoons. Ah, the irony. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE