A few days out passing on knowledge(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, for the last couple of years now i,ve been demo-ing bushcraft/primitive living skills for Perth college's uniform preperation course. I got the chance to do this because Craig m9 is a tutor for the college,and he asked me to help introduce bushcraft skills to his students.So 2 weeks ago we had our get together at Wooplaw community woodland in the Scottish borders,well we took a load of pics and i thought you may like a look at what we get up to.

Craig instructs the students over a few weeks prior to their outing,in safe knife handling and basic fire lighting techneques,before they head down to the woods for a couple of days living under the stars.

So once on site they set up their tents,and then up went the parachute.

unicourse3800x600.jpg

The fire lit and settling in.

unicourse5800x600.jpg

So the first evening was spent carving bow drill sets which they tried out the next morning.
A couple of the lads got very,very close to getting an ember,so :35: well done lads.
Next we went on a plant walk collecting foragables as we went.
Back in camp i gave them some Rabbits to prep,cook and eat.
Prepping
unicourse7800x600.jpg

unicourse9800x600.jpg

Once ready they wrapped leg portions into docken parcels,made kebabs,and skewered some to jerk over the fire.
unicourse11800x600.jpg

unicourse13800x600.jpg

Kebabs and skewered strips over the fire to jerk.
unicourse16800x600.jpg

And the parcels going into the embers for cooking.
unicourse15800x600.jpg

Whilst the parcels were cooking,we took the students of to the ranges for a wee bit of target shooting,with our air rifles
unicourse2800x600.jpg

unicourse4800x600.jpg

So after the ranges it was back up to camp for the cooked Rabbit.
Then a little show and tell.
unicourse17800x600.jpg

Students taking it all in.
unicourse18800x600.jpg

Well it was know getting late so they settled in front of the TV,bushcraft style.
unicourse19800x600.jpg

The next day they did some repair work for Wooplaw,they re-felted the roof on one of the composting toilets.
unicourse6800x600.jpg

Well the weather was scorching so it was time for a cool off after all their hard work.
They couldn’t just have all work and no play!
unicourse8800x600.jpg

unicourse10800x600.jpg

So it was back to the fire for drying off.
That night it was chill out time with toasted marsh mallows and a taste of Rabbit jerky.
unicourse800x600.jpg

Next day it was time to head home.
The site cleared,it was time for one last photo.
Perth Uniform prep course 2011.
unicourse14800x600.jpg

Well that was a few days spent out with some great enthusiastic kids.
I hope you get feel through the pics of a braw time had by all.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers Stuart.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I knew it would only be a matter of time before you started teaching some of those skill sets you have Stuart, good to see you passing on all the knowledge you have gained through your own hard work over the years. Well done mate.:D

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Good on you Stuart.

I was lucky enough to listen and watch you sharing your knowledge informally at Comrie Croft last year.

You know your stuff and I was jaw droppingly impressed with the ease at which you passed it on.

I think it was the only time Locum76 saw me quiet.

All the best and thanks for sharing.

Liam

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Which wood were you in? Looks more like Gullett wood rather than Axehead or Big wood.

There's some pretty big leeches in the pond at the bottom of Axehead wood!

Oh, and thanks for re-felting the loo roof.

Cheers

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Great pictures, thank you for sharing and for the education effort!

But you gotta teach your students to keep the finger off the trigger, even if it's only an air rifle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE