A different direction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been playing around with this one a bit.

Colwyn-Bay.jpg

It's a bit different from the kind of shots I normally show here, more like my earlier work on film I guess.

Just wondering what you think?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
if i'm completely honest i don't know whether or not i like that wayland. i think that it's a superb piece of art 'cos it does what art should do, it evokes a feeling, i'm just not sure whether or not i like the feeling it evokes. i agree that it looks somewhat alien, and also that it's reminiscent of penguins or similar crowding a beach, and i'm wondering if it's the idea of "alien penguins" that's slightly unnerving me.

i can see myself looking at this photo again and again, i'll let you know if ever i make my mind up about it!

stuart

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
if i'm completely honest i don't know whether or not i like that wayland. i think that it's a superb piece of art 'cos it does what art should do, it evokes a feeling, i'm just not sure whether or not i like the feeling it evokes. i agree that it looks somewhat alien, and also that it's reminiscent of penguins or similar crowding a beach, and i'm wondering if it's the idea of "alien penguins" that's slightly unnerving me.

i can see myself looking at this photo again and again, i'll let you know if ever i make my mind up about it!

stuart

I think it would be great to see it alongside a picture of gulls or penguins in a similar composition. The contrast and comparison would be very interesting.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I think it would be great to see it alongside a picture of gulls or penguins in a similar composition. The contrast and comparison would be very interesting.

i think you're probably right.

any chance you could nip down south and get us a nice shot of a few penguins to compare it to wayland?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Colwyn Bay it is and they are concrete sea defence units. They reminded me of "Jacks" but they must have been thrown by gods or trolls.

I have been seriously looking at them for a picture for a couple of years and this is not quite what I had in mind but the composition is close.

The alien feeling might be because they are captured in infrared rather than our visual spectrum. I used to shoot infrared monochrome film a lot but I don't do it so much in digital.

It's a bit more arty than my usual images but I'm glad you seem to like it.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Gary
That first shot is great I was thinking it was B&W HDR. IR makes sense though the lack of organic material maybe why it not obvious.

What are shooting IR with a converted camera or filters?

Of the others I like the Menai bridge is my favourite because of the tones of the grave stones. The star trail is nic as usual.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Some nice photos as usual
I particularly like the Menai bridge one that's the kind of thing I try and do with my point and shoot and fail miserably

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Gary
That first shot is great I was thinking it was B&W HDR. IR makes sense though the lack of organic material maybe why it not obvious.

What are shooting IR with a converted camera or filters?

Of the others I like the Menai bridge is my favourite because of the tones of the grave stones. The star trail is nic as usual.

It's an infrared filter on an unconverted Canon 5D. It works well but the exposures are long, about 10 minutes for that one.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
stunning mate i love that grave yard one the most, would love to be able to take pics like that bud.
maybe one day.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I kinda like it Gary, although more for the skill in its composition than in what you might call the subject matter.

It kinda reminds me of some of the stuff I used to look at in the British Journal of Photography. (Is that still going?)

I have to say though that it doesn't give me the creeps or anything, like it apparently does to some others. I just find it interesting. It would be too, well, 'arty' for me to want to hang up at home somewhere but I would think it wouldn't look out of place in some well-appointed City office.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE