A different direction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
That first photo is not sea defences, it's a lost generation, deprived of their computers, prematurely grey, stooped and faceless marching into the icy waters, like Lemmings.

All excellent photos though. :35:

It's like 10,000 naked people sitting on the beach waiting to jump in the water (at least the top part of the structure).

More morbidly, the first word that popped in to my head was 'holocaust', as in mass graves. :(

I will book an appointment with a shrink in the morning. :nana:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'll be driving past on Wednesday, I'll have a look. Have you put your camera in for repair yet?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
It's an infrared filter on an unconverted Canon 5D. It works well but the exposures are long, about 10 minutes for that one.
missed this comment the first time around... interesting..

From what I remember reading on the POTN forums, the earlier Canon DSLRs couldn't do IR as there was an optical low-pass filter fitted in front of the CCD. Back then the options were 1) have the LP filter removed (and void the warranty) or 2) take a normal shot and manipulate it in software to mimic a similar effect.. Have they got rid of the LP filter on the newer models? or is it still there and thus the reason for the long exposure times?

bikething

May 31, 2005
From what I've read on the subject, the long exposue times will lead to a lot of pixel noise on the 10D... the newer cameras (bearing in mind the 10D is something like 8 years old now) have better noise reduction capability

bikething

May 31, 2005
Well I was very impressed with the noise handling for the Aurora shots...
Really? I was a bit concerned that the noise handling might not have been up to the job with it being an older camera..

Would be interesting to know what software you use to convert from (I assume) Raw, and what techniques you use to deal with noise... but that's probably a thread in itself...:eek:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Northern_lights_Norway_5-3-2012.jpg

Noise-sample-10D.jpg
100%

Shot at f4 15 seconds on iso.800 Processed through Lightroom 2

Yes there is noise but it's not unsightly. In fact it's more like film grain than some of the noise I see on underexposed shots from my 5D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE