A bit OT.... I have a pillar drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

A kind freecycler gave me a pillar drill, my daughter wants me to drill lots of small holes in some wood to hold ear rings.
But I have never used a pillar drill...

The drill has a lift off top and inside is a band and a choice of ways of setting up a band, I wondered what the different setting are for? I will be drilling small holes for the first task. Any one know how this drill works?

conv__MG_9832.jpg

conv__MG_9834.jpg

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
Yes, it is the same as bike gears. In the picture, the belt is on the top groove, which is the fastest drill speed. As you move the belt down, the speed drops. Just make sure you keep the belt running between the right grooves! (parallel ones)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Please be careful. That is not a tool to be played with carelessly, it can tear off fingers or scalp very easily.

Basic workshop training is essential. No loose hair and clothing, equipment and workpiece firmly fixed (for example -- I can't do a course here).

Biker

To change the belt from one groove to another you'll need to slacken off the motor side of the tensioner. See that knob type thing at the back of the motor housing? Well once you've got the belt in the deisred groove you grip and push that knob back and tighten up the nut to fix the motro in the tight position, if not the belt will slip off and possibly fly off. Make you you put the screw back in that old that lid down too.

if possible make sure the work you're drilling into is fixed, or at least resting against something solid such as the piller. Better yet clamp it into postition.

be careful and take it nice and easy

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Get your self one of these
$(KGrHqNHJEgE8oY,psQNBP(nNyzOr!~~60_1.JPG
cheap and designed for piller drills
Remember safety first safety second

Jason

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Get some safety goggles/specs. I've got the same drill, they're not difficult to use but if the drill catches it can spin the workpiece & cut your hands so clamp it firmly & wear gloves

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
If you are going to be drilling wood its probably better to use a higher speed setting and a wood bit.Your drill has an adjustable table so you can bring the work closer to the bit.Have a practice setting the bit in the chuck correctly centered and nice and tight.Thats an important point.Sleeves rolled up, safety goggles on, overalls, flouresent jacket, banksman in place, full risk assessment, switch on and go!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Pretty much any drill bits for wood (apart from auger bits) will be fine on the fastest speed.
if the wood is long enough then I wouldn't bother with a drill vice either. If you put the bit of wood so its touching the pillar and if the bit catches it just presses harder against the pillar you should be fine.

Make sure the hole in the drill table is aligned with the bit as it comes down.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you lucky Baggy you...;)

im after just such an item, cant afford a new 1 though, your very lucky old son...:nofeed:

good luck with the work mate, you will be fine with wood, its easy enough to use with wood, steel is a bit more difficult....

regards.

chris.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I may be wrong but it doesn't look like it has a cut off switch for when the top is open (it may just be in a different position to mine)

If it doesn't have one, make sure you switch the drill off at the mains, or unplug it. Trapped fingers if it accidently turns on......

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I have one of these and I think that maybe you are overstating the power of it. I fitted a v belt which was slightly the wrong size and the motor doesn't have enough torque to start, have to give it a spin by hand.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have one of these and I think that maybe you are overstating the power of it. I fitted a v belt which was slightly the wrong size and the motor doesn't have enough torque to start, have to give it a spin by hand.

Pretty much that^ I have one and although its OK it couldn't pull the noddy off a soft c***. Still, it could maybe grab metal and whip it around so its worth taking precautions.
If the bit of wood is six inches long or more I'd be surprised if it whips around.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Please be careful. That is not a tool to be played with carelessly, it can tear off fingers or scalp very easily.

Basic workshop training is essential. No loose hair and clothing, equipment and workpiece firmly fixed (for example -- I can't do a course here).
Totally agree. Seen many a mangled hand from a distracted user..... ouch!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE