a 20 year old chestnut fence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I built this fence 20 years ago whilst working for the National Trust at Ide Hill in Kent, we used storm blown sweet chestnut which came from the wood a few yards away. I visited the property for the first time again last weekend and was pleased to see the fence is holding up well.

IMG_9523.jpg

IMG_9524.jpg

Sweet chestnut has a high tanin content which means that it is naturally durable and does not rot, it also grows a new crop of poles quickly from a felled stump. This picture shows a trunk lying unrotted on the floor from the 87 storm and 20 year old regrowth, just ready to make a new fence.

IMG_9530.jpg

I was lucky when I worked there to be taught by an old chap close to retirement who believed in making use of the wood on the property to make fences, already at that time then most people were using bought in tanalised fence posts. This is a horse barrier made at the same time.

IMG_9506.jpg

And this is how horse barriers are made today on the same property, not the two young straight oaks, just the perfect diameter for making a horse barrier and posts yet the tanalised posts have been brought in from some distance and to my eye look suburban.

IMG_9485.jpg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
That's very nice work, it must have been rewarding to go back and see it functioning as it was when you made it. The ethics you discuss are a big problem in design at present I try to teach the local/sustainable materials choices as often as I can

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice post Robin

sorry I'll get me coat

OH Deary deary me:slap:

It's funny (well not really:rolleyes: ) but I proposed using 'in house' coppiced chestnut, to fence off the training area we used for our carving course with Robin last September.

It was decided by a group of people who, while claiming to be 'friends' of the wood, have absolutely no idea of what sort of resources are available on the doorstep and worse; refuse to listen to those who do!:AR15firin

they decided that it would make sound economical sense, to buy in, live willow and use that, instead of coppicing chestnut poles from trees which have subsequently been destroyed by NEDL contractors.

The blxxdy willow has almost all died, due to lack of sufficient moisture. I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of this type of ignorance among people who should know better.:confused:

Anyway, another very nice piece of work Robin.:D

atb

Steve

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice looking old fence Robin.

Is the difference in craftmanship between your fence and what is put up nowadays due to people now believing that cutting and using local trees is vandalism, or is it that it's just easier/quicker/cheaper in time to use the stuff on the shelf, or the people doing it don't have the same level of skills and knowledge than they use to have?

Or are we obsessed that everything must be in straight lines..:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE