4 Places for Fishing in Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Pretty excited! Been trying to get as much casting in as possible to blow away four years of cobwebs, and off to the Woodsmoke Woodlander course this weekend to learn a little more about our favourite hobby of rubbing sticks together and the like!

Did you guys get your flight sorted? Which one did you get in the end?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Got the flights sorted:
From London Stansted(STN) to Torp Oslo(TRF)
Fri, 30Jun06 Flight FR036 Depart STN at 10:50 and arrive TRF at 13:45

From Torp Oslo(TRF) to London Stansted(STN)
Tue, 11Jul06 Flight FR037 Depart TRF at 14:10 and arrive STN at 15:05

I am slowly working my way through what stuff I have, and what odd bits I need to get before departure. I have my maps on order, eventually.

Hehe, I haven't cast in a long while, and don't really have anywhere to practice, so that is going to have to take care of itself!

What are you guys planning to do for food? While we are going on a fishing trip, every single source I have consulted, human, printed, or electronic, reckons that you are asking for trouble if you count on catching stuff as part of your food plan.

Wish I could come!
Unfortunately could'nt make this year although I'd be interested in future trips.
Anyone who still needs a fly rod may like to look at the one linked below,

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/catalog/...<>ast_id=1408474395181399&bmUID=1150537472927

I bought one last year for a trip to Canada & I found it to be great. An8.5ft #6 river rod + a 9.5ft #7 stillwater rod what more could you ask for, & it casts really well!
Tight lines & have a great time,

:beerchug:

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Well boys, it seems that it's only a couple of weeks until we head off!
So, I beginning to focus on what to bring…
I reckon it's worthwhile to put up a kit list here for scrutiny and peer review. So, here is my planned list in all its glory. Please feel free to suggest improvements.
I thought I'd break it down into the main requirements:

Shelter/sleeping:
Sleeping Bag
Thermarest
(Does the Lavvu have a ground sheet or should I think about something to protect me and my sleeping bag from the crud on the ground like a bivvy bag?)
Wooly night cap

Fire:
Lighters and Matches
Fire steel

Water

2x water bottles

Eating:
Steel cup and bowl
Cutlery
Swedish trangia pans (coz I haven't got a zebra billy)
Powdered sauces
Home made camp bread mix
Cured meats
Rice, pulses
Pasta
Dried fruit
Tea Bags
Powdered milk.
Porridge
Pan scourer

Clothing:
Shorts
Waterproof trousers
Merino wool sweater
T shirts
Socks and Undies
Spare lightweight shoes
Waterproof jacket

Fishing:
Telescopic spinner rod and reel
Fly rod, reel, floating & sinking lines, tippet
Lures for both
Blank hooks, split shot and floats for bait fishing

Tools:
Folding saw
Swiss army Knife (for the bottle opener ;))
Fixed blade knife
Sharpening stone

On me:
Sturdy trousers
Hiking boots
Lightweight shirt
Wicking t-shirt
Hat

Other
Spare plastic bags for rubbish etc.
Wash kit & towel
Sun cream
Loo Roll (just in case…)
Cord
Goodies from Duty Free (we're allowed up to 2 litres of spirits, aren't we?)
PASSPORT!!!!

I offered to bring a large rectangular cooking pot with a lid that can be used as a frying pan. Do we need it?
What other "Group Kit" might we find useful?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You pretty much beat me to this. I have been wondering about this kind of thing for the last couple of days!
Since we are down to four, I think that we could probably manage with one small pot each, and not worry about your big rectangular job. It would undoubtedly still be efficient, but with an even number the smaller pots will work. A 12cm Zebra holds enough of whatever for two.

Other group kit that comes to mind would be axe and saw. I think that Torjus said he has an axe, Elma has his GB Hunters axe, and I have a GB SFA. The latter two probably work out as weighing about 1kg (my SFA comes in at 2.25lb). I am pretty comfortable using the SFA, have had it for a few years now and reckon it’s a better wood tool than the Hunter Axe, from the handle design. If the SFA is a lighter option than the axe Torjus had in mind, I will bring it, that is, as long as Elma doesn’t desperately want to try his out ;) Certainly if Elma takes his I won’t take mine, there is no need for more than two axes, and no need at all for them both to get flown in :D

A folding bow saw would be good, but failing that, I have my little Bahco Laplander. I think a couple of saws would be good, but I am not worried if it is mine, or someone elses.

Here is my list. I have nearly everything weighed, which is as much for my own information as it is for keeping weight down on this trip. I still have a few bits to sort out, like I haven’t got a rod tube yet, and am not 100% sure of the food I am bringing. I am going shopping tonight, so should have some things sorted by tomorrow.

Sabre 60-100
Pockets and yoke - day sack/carry on
Sleeping bag Softie 6
Stuff sack
Hammock,
Tent pegs 4, steel
Hex Fly
Under quilt - something to try
Ridgerest
Plastic ground sheet (black polythene)
Plastic bags
Bag liners 3 off

Paramo coat
Kiwi trousers
Other kiwi trousers (travel pair)
Rain trousers
Paramo Pull-on
Paramo Shirt
Merrino blend shirt
T-shirts- Merrino
T-shirts- Peter Storm coolmax

Boots
Socks Bridgedale
Socks HZ
Socks liners x 3 pair
Belt

Guide hat - wide brim
Fleece Hat

Silk longs
Underwear 3 pairs - not sure yet…
Midge head net

Saw - laplander??
RSKMk1
SAK
Belt knife
SFA - ??
Paracord + string
Fire kit
Compass - small
Maps
Head lamp - tikka XP
spare batteries
Note book+pencil
Sharpening kit
Packs of tissue 10 off - don't trust moss.
First aid kit
DEET
Pyrethrum - been asked to try this stuff :rolleyes:
Sun block
Sun glasses
Shamag
Wash kit pouch
Wash kit

Camera Mu2
Gloves???

Billy can
Large steel bowl

Steel spoon,
Stainless mug
Drom-lite - 2ltre
Aquapure filter bottle

Fishing reel
Fishing lures
Fishing rod
rod tube

Food
Oat cereal
cous cous
instant tea
seasonings
dry meat
powdered soup
stock cubes

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
ilovemybed said:
Well boys, it seems that it's only a couple of weeks until we head off!
So, I beginning to focus on what to bring…
I reckon it's worthwhile to put up a kit list here for scrutiny and peer review. So, here is my planned list in all its glory. Please feel free to suggest improvements.
I thought I'd break it down into the main requirements:

Shelter/sleeping:
Sleeping Bag
Thermarest
(Does the Lavvu have a ground sheet or should I think about something to protect me and my sleeping bag from the crud on the ground like a bivvy bag?)
Wooly night cap

Fire:
Lighters and Matches
Fire steel

Water

2x water bottles

Eating:
Steel cup and bowl
Cutlery
Swedish trangia pans (coz I haven't got a zebra billy)
Powdered sauces
Home made camp bread mix
Cured meats
Rice, pulses
Pasta
Dried fruit
Tea Bags
Powdered milk.
Porridge
Pan scourer

Clothing:
Shorts
Waterproof trousers
Merino wool sweater
T shirts
Socks and Undies
Spare lightweight shoes
Waterproof jacket

Fishing:
Telescopic spinner rod and reel
Fly rod, reel, floating & sinking lines, tippet
Lures for both
Blank hooks, split shot and floats for bait fishing

Tools:
Folding saw
Swiss army Knife (for the bottle opener ;))
Fixed blade knife
Sharpening stone

On me:
Sturdy trousers
Hiking boots
Lightweight shirt
Wicking t-shirt
Hat

Other
Spare plastic bags for rubbish etc.
Wash kit & towel
Sun cream
Loo Roll (just in case…)
Cord
Goodies from Duty Free (we're allowed up to 2 litres of spirits, aren't we?)
PASSPORT!!!!

I offered to bring a large rectangular cooking pot with a lid that can be used as a frying pan. Do we need it?
What other "Group Kit" might we find useful?

Seems good, but I have done a few adjustments:
- The lavvo doesn't have a ground sheet, but I will only use branches. The choice is yours :)
- I would make that water bottle number 1 as safe water is found everywhere.
- I am not sure about the spirits, but I think the new regulations say 2 litres yes (the old one said 1).

C_Claycomb said:
You pretty much beat me to this. I have been wondering about this kind of thing for the last couple of days!
Since we are down to four, I think that we could probably manage with one small pot each, and not worry about your big rectangular job. It would undoubtedly still be efficient, but with an even number the smaller pots will work. A 12cm Zebra holds enough of whatever for two.

Other group kit that comes to mind would be axe and saw. I think that Torjus said he has an axe, Elma has his GB Hunters axe, and I have a GB SFA. The latter two probably work out as weighing about 1kg (my SFA comes in at 2.25lb). I am pretty comfortable using the SFA, have had it for a few years now and reckon it’s a better wood tool than the Hunter Axe, from the handle design. If the SFA is a lighter option than the axe Torjus had in mind, I will bring it, that is, as long as Elma doesn’t desperately want to try his out ;) Certainly if Elma takes his I won’t take mine, there is no need for more than two axes, and no need at all for them both to get flown in :D

A folding bow saw would be good, but failing that, I have my little Bahco Laplander. I think a couple of saws would be good, but I am not worried if it is mine, or someone elses.

Here is my list. I have nearly everything weighed, which is as much for my own information as it is for keeping weight down on this trip. I still have a few bits to sort out, like I haven’t got a rod tube yet, and am not 100% sure of the food I am bringing. I am going shopping tonight, so should have some things sorted by tomorrow.

Sabre 60-100
Pockets and yoke - day sack/carry on
Sleeping bag Softie 6
Stuff sack
Hammock,
Tent pegs 4, steel
Hex Fly
Under quilt - something to try
Ridgerest
Plastic ground sheet (black polythene)
Plastic bags
Bag liners 3 off

Paramo coat
Kiwi trousers
Other kiwi trousers (travel pair)
Rain trousers
Paramo Pull-on
Paramo Shirt
Merrino blend shirt
T-shirts- Merrino
T-shirts- Peter Storm coolmax

Boots
Socks Bridgedale
Socks HZ
Socks liners x 3 pair
Belt

Guide hat - wide brim
Fleece Hat

Silk longs
Underwear 3 pairs - not sure yet…
Midge head net

Saw - laplander??
RSKMk1
SAK
Belt knife
SFA - ??
Paracord + string
Fire kit
Compass - small
Maps
Head lamp - tikka XP
spare batteries
Note book+pencil
Sharpening kit
Packs of tissue 10 off - don't trust moss.
First aid kit
DEET
Pyrethrum - been asked to try this stuff :rolleyes:
Sun block
Sun glasses
Shamag
Wash kit pouch
Wash kit

Camera Mu2
Gloves???

Billy can
Large steel bowl

Steel spoon,
Stainless mug
Drom-lite - 2ltre
Aquapure filter bottle

Fishing reel
Fishing lures
Fishing rod
rod tube

Food
Oat cereal
cous cous
instant tea
seasonings
dry meat
powdered soup
stock cubes

Your kit seems a little bit on the large side and there is a number of things there I would have removed. But otherwise ok.

I was planning that we take a sauna at least one day (make one quickly with the lavvo tarp) to get a little dirt off. In regards to that I will at least be taking with me one towel for drying after the plunge in the lake. :D

Torjus Gaaren

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hey, Torjus, Do you think you could give us an idea of what you think the weather will be like?
What are the normal extremes for this time of year?

Cheers,
Neil

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
ilovemybed said:
Hey, Torjus, Do you think you could give us an idea of what you think the weather will be like?
What are the normal extremes for this time of year?

Cheers,
Neil

Hmmm.... It can snow and quite often do around 1st of July (on the peaks that is). It can be frost over 1000m altitude, but it is not every day. In the terrain we will spend most time in I will assume a low of 3C and a likely high of let's say 22C.

The weather has been very good for quite a while now, so it wouldn' surprise me if it starts raining when we are going. :rolleyes:

Torjus Gaaren

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
torjusg said:
Hmmm.... It can snow and quite often do around 1st of July (on the peaks that is). It can be frost over 1000m altitude, but it is not every day. In the terrain we will spend most time in I will assume a low of 3C and a likely high of let's say 22C.

Snow in july
:rolleyes: a picture of me on roycroft snow shoes in july now thats something to show the boys in work :D

Ian

hardyferret

Nov 21, 2006
Dorset
So I now get crowned king of the muppets....

thought the date said 2007....

sorry hope you all had a good time any stories etc

DEAD JEALOUS

Jerry :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE