4 Places for Fishing in Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
C_Claycomb said:
Well, I am not exactly close, Stansted is about 47 miles away, but I do have somewhere pretty safe to leave a car, and a spare room that while not the Ritz, will do for a night if anyone wants to break their journey in Hemel.

I was thinking that Ian might consider joining forces and for us to go in one car then split the costs?

That early departure is pretty brutal. I don't know how long the bus ride is after we get to Torp. Torjus made it sound like it was l...o...n...g, but the map makes it look like only 350-400km? I was wondering if it might be possible to catch the slightly later flight from Stansted at 10:50, arriving Torp 13:45?
no problem there Chris we will have to coordinate flights etc, also what kind of fishing do we intend doing as weight is a problem for both the flight and we have to carry it when we get there it is pointless doubling up on kit :rolleyes:

Ian. :D

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Tony said:
You not got any Mates that can drop you off? A few quid to one of them would be a lot cheaper...
Tony may be right, if you know of someone who could drop us off and pick us up I'd gladly compensate them for their time and fuel

H

halo

aaaaarrrrrgh :banghead: :banghead: too late, hope you guys have a great time!
torgus if you do organise another on next year could i baggsies a place please
fishing in norway has always been a dream of mine,to say i'm gutted to have mist this one would be an understatment :sadwavey:

cheers,halo
(paul)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
halo said:
aaaaarrrrrgh :banghead: :banghead: too late, hope you guys have a great time!
torgus if you do organise another on next year could i baggsies a place please
fishing in norway has always been a dream of mine,to say i'm gutted to have mist this one would be an understatment :sadwavey:

cheers,halo
(paul)

Sorry about that Paul. If I have the time I will organise another trip next year.

Torjus Gaaren

H

halo

torjusg said:
Sorry about that Paul. If I have the time I will organise another trip next year.

Torjus Gaaren

torjus,there's no need to appolagise i should log on more often,and maybe i would'nt missout. :rolleyes:

as for the guys going wondering about what tackle to take,my choice would be
a #7 fly rod and a small spining outfit these would see you right for most situations.imho

anyway guys have fun and be safe

halo

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
C_Claycomb said:
Well, I am not exactly close, Stansted is about 47 miles away, but I do have somewhere pretty safe to leave a car, and a spare room that while not the Ritz, will do for a night if anyone wants to break their journey in Hemel.

I was thinking that Ian might consider joining forces and for us to go in one car then split the costs?

That early departure is pretty brutal. I don't know how long the bus ride is after we get to Torp. Torjus made it sound like it was l...o...n...g, but the map makes it look like only 350-400km? I was wondering if it might be possible to catch the slightly later flight from Stansted at 10:50, arriving Torp 13:45?

Hi Guys,
I wasn't sure about timings but like Torjus said it was a long bus journey and I thought some extra time in Norway and increased chance of catching the bus was worth more than extra time in bed. I know that might be considered heresy, esp. considering my username, but me and the bed have spent enough quality time together.... Also, it doesn't feel like a holiday if you can just crawl out the pit and saunter to the airport - it has to involve panicking and early morning taxi rides to make it feel genuine. I live 20 miles from Stansted so it's not too difficult to get there for that time.
I do know somewhere you can park near Stansted long term for free - it will involve a taxi ride of about £7 to the terminal. It's not 100% guaranteed but PM me if you're interested and I'll give you details.

Fishing kit wise I've got a #7-8 fly rod and was going to scrounge a telescopic spinner from somewhere. I was thinking about how to carry such a gawky item as a fishing rod on the hike- perhaps find a hollow pole which could store the rod and double as a walking stick - any ideas?

Also, I was asking Torjus about taking sharps (eg. axe/knife) over on the flight. He was fairly sure that it wouldn't be a problem. Anyone got any experience doing that from before? Do we need to register that kind of thing? (Bet Ryanair would find a way of charging for it...) If it's a problem I figure we could just each throw some money into a pot and get a communal axe and any other bits and pieces once we're over there. What do you all think?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
ilovemybed said:
Hi Guys,
I wasn't sure about timings but like Torjus said it was a long bus journey and I thought some extra time in Norway and increased chance of catching the bus was worth more than extra time in bed. I know that might be considered heresy, esp. considering my username, but me and the bed have spent enough quality time together.... Also, it doesn't feel like a holiday if you can just crawl out the pit and saunter to the airport - it has to involve panicking and early morning taxi rides to make it feel genuine. I live 20 miles from Stansted so it's not too difficult to get there for that time.
I do know somewhere you can park near Stansted long term for free - it will involve a taxi ride of about £7 to the terminal. It's not 100% guaranteed but PM me if you're interested and I'll give you details.

Fishing kit wise I've got a #7-8 fly rod and was going to scrounge a telescopic spinner from somewhere. I was thinking about how to carry such a gawky item as a fishing rod on the hike- perhaps find a hollow pole which could store the rod and double as a walking stick - any ideas?

Also, I was asking Torjus about taking sharps (eg. axe/knife) over on the flight. He was fairly sure that it wouldn't be a problem. Anyone got any experience doing that from before? Do we need to register that kind of thing? (Bet Ryanair would find a way of charging for it...) If it's a problem I figure we could just each throw some money into a pot and get a communal axe and any other bits and pieces once we're over there. What do you all think?

I was thinking, maybe I should see if my father can spare an axe. I am pretty sure he has one extra we could bring along.

About summer tables, I have checked. There is no change. Give me your time of arrival at Torp and I'll check bustimes, correspondance and time of travelling.

And the buses stop 10kms from where we will spend the first night so you will have to walk a little................. :)

Just kidding, we will pick you up as you arrive, even if it isn't at the same time.

Torjus Gaaren

H

halo

hi guys,ilovemybed how many sections does your fly rod have and how long is it?
might have a solution for you!

halo

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hi Halo,
It's 2 section rod, 4 or 5 feet long each. (can't remember if it's a 9.5 or 10 footer)

What do you have in mind?

I was thinking it might be a good excuse to buy a 5 or 6 section poacher's rod but I've never used one before so don't know if I'd have to really fork out for a good one. Also, the rod I've got doesn't get used enough so buying another seems a bit excessive!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
About the axe. I asked my father, he can lend us an extra one. So unless any of you are planning on doing a lot of chopping, two axes should be enough for our every day purposes. Better to share than for everyone to carry everything around.

When it comes to knives, I have this idea that I'll try not use any metal knives during this trip. Only carry it with me just in case. I am playing with the thought of only using my currently unfinished antler axe. :cool:

By the way, you shouldn't have any extra of that fine English flint laying around do you? :naughty:

Torjus Gaaren

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Soooo...If we have any spare baggage weight left, you want us to bring you some rocks? :rolleyes: :D :lmao:

Great link Halo! :You_Rock_ Very tempted by some of that gear.

Gravo

Apr 5, 2006
Oslo, Norway
I realise that my post is of no use to you now but I would be very interested if you plan a similar trip next year...

I was at a place called Herrefoss last year in Bø i Telemark and it was superb. Those people going are in for a good time, that's for sure. The scenery and fishing possibilities there are excellent, mix in some bushcraft and it sounds perfect!

This year I'm off for a bit of sea fishing in Bergen so that's my fishing holiday for this year.

So, hope to hear from you next year...

Skitt fiske!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Hei Gravo

I have something in mind for next year as well. It will be very different and much longer (about a month in the autumn). This year, we will mainly do fishing and be a little more comfy. I am thinking of a hunting/trapping/fishing/foraging expedition next year with more participants.

It will be a primitive living expedition, with selfreliance as the main idea. Of course, because of legalities involved, we will use guns for hunting.

That will be a far more ambitious project, but I think I will pull it together. It is not guaranteed at this point though.

If this sounds interesting, I can tell you right now that any participants this year will have priority next year. :naughty:

Torjus Gaaren

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I am probably pushing it marketing wise here, but this is a good one. :D

A bear has been seen in an area we will be passing through on our trip. I will of course neither guarantee nor do I believe that we will see it. Still, I bet not too many of you have been in an area where there is a (slim) chance of seeing a bear.

For all of those interested in predators, did I mention that lynxes are also quite common. Not commonly seen though.

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE