3rd Group Buy for Coccoon Hammock Sleeping Bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I thought I would now try another GB if anyone is interested. Snugpak assure me that the snagging zip problem will be resolved by sewing some thin webbing down either side of the zip.So this will be on the MK3 models, along with the internal mesh pocket (the right way up this time). They will have the BCUK/Snugpak logos on the wide end, as per the other ones. They will be olive green on the outside and black on the inside.
Sadly the modifications have resulted in a slight price increase. The all in price now, including Special Delivery postage, and Paypal fees is £93.66.
As with the previous group buys I will start the list, when it gets to 25 I will ask for confirmation of order with your name and address. I will then send you the Paypal details. When all monies are collected I will place the order. Delivery is usually 3-4 weeks after that.
So if we get the numbers and including build time they should be available end of October.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Thanks Greeneggcat, thats a fair name. Have just heard back from PP re their charges. Seems I allowed too much for their charges. So revised price is now £93.05. Not a great reduction I know, but pennies are better......................

Greeneggcat 1

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Have just heard back from PP re their charges. Seems I allowed too much for their charges. So revised price is now £93.05. Not a great reduction I know, but pennies are better......................

Greeneggcat 1
Cliv 1

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi - Some people report a problem with ?condensation with DD travel hammocks. I have a DD travel hammock and have been very pleased with it and not experienced this problem.

But does the enclosed nature of the coccoon mean this is a problem for this type of hammock?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
(Yes it is the one with the waterproof sheet - I don't think using a ridgeline is relevant because when used without the coccoon the air flow would presumably be much greater than with a coccoon.)

I have now had a better look for what I was going on about:

From http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=567849#post567849

Hangman said:

"....... when used as a hammock the waterproofing doesn't breathe and it allows water vapour to condense - the half dozeb times I've used it I've ended up waking up with a damp sleeping bag."

Wildthing said:

"I agree with Hangman
I have had the same trouble with condensation in my travel hammock.
I did advise DD and shortly after they announced the release of the new frontline hammock.
So I definitely wouldn't go for the travel hammock.
Just my opinion, from waking up with a damp sleeping bag as well."

and he later added:

"However, I seem to be in the minority as most other people don't seem to have this problem."

Early riser said:

"I have two travel hammocks from DD which I've used twice along with my son who is 10.
On both occasions his sleeping bag was a little damp on the outside from condensation whereas mine was absolutely dry.
I suspect it may be down to sleeping position; if you lie with you're head to the side facing the fabric then chances are you're going to get condensation if it's cool enough."

So I suppose the qustion is ...... has anyone who uses a DD Travel Hammock had a problem with condesation/damp when using a coccoon that they didn't have when not using it? :confused:

I ask because I currently do not have a problem with the DD hammock - but I use the underblanket and quilt approach and might want to get a coccoon for very cold weather.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well, it is not looking good for this Group Buy. I had a nagging doubt about it taking off due to the price increase, which was inevitable i'm afraid. I will give this another couple of weeks and then pull the plug. Sorry to the couple of people who have said they want one.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
the internal mesh pocket

The coccoon does not need an internal pocket - hammocks probably need one!

The coccoon is not there as a weight bearing structure - it is there to insulate. If people ask for a pocket, they should be asked where they were putting stuff before they used the coccoon. Many hammocks have a pocket. Indeed, the pocket is often the sack into which the hammock is packed.

With regard to condensation, I have had no experience of this.

The coccoon, like tarps and hammocks, is a very flexible piece of kit - the way it can be set up can vary quite a bit. The zip can be on the left side, the right side or above (or even below). You can set it up taught or slack. You can sleep with the zip open or closed and have the zip open where ever you want it along the zip. The openings at the end can be wide or narrow depending on how you have attached the coccoon and according to how the hammock is set up: with the ends of the hammock drawn tightly together or with the ends wide.

That is the way I look at the coccoon: as a very flexible piece of kit.

Which brings me back to the remark I made to Ian earlier. It would be great if there was a bivi sack for the coccoon when the coccoon was used on the ground. The coccoon would definitely (I guess) be 4/5 seasons standard when used together with a sleeping bag which itself could be just 3 season standard.

The question is: although the lofting underneath would be crushed, just as the bottom of a sleeping bag is crushed when slept upon, but would it be damaged in any way? In other words, could it raise itself afterwards or would it have lost its lofting?

In anycase - the coccoon is a great piece of kit.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
This is not looking too good. 5 orders so far. I will give this to the end of the month. Depending on how many orders there are, I will contact Snugpak and see what they say. If Snugpak say not enough, then that's that.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I will give this till the end of October. Then whatever numbers there are i will ask Snugpak whether the order is viable for them. This WILL be the last Group Buy for this item. So if your thinking about one............

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Bum!
Just as I 'got off the ground'! (as it were!)
after 25years a ground dweller! (Thanks Ash!)
Now were can I get one from,any ideas folks?
Cheers.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE