35 litres how to pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
now then gnag
i am getting the 35 litre karrimor sf for chrimbo and i am struggling to see how i am going to pack it for anything more than a day in wniter. Now summer might be a possiblity cos i can use a poncho liner instead of my snugpact antarctic re but i am still struggleing. help

kit list
dd travel hammock (getting for crimbo)
true north outdoors tarp
underblanket or roll mat (if it makes more room cos then i could go on the floor if nessacery but perfer underblanket plus can strap this to the outside if nessacery)
poncho liner
first aid kit
head torch
knife (go on belt)
laplander (go on belt)
water proof trousers
gaters
water proof jacket
underwear
socks
tshirt
ktichen
crusader set using folding hexi stove
mess tin
billy can
kfs
flask
food and 2litre bottle of water
books
food for free
trees
camera nikom dslr d3000 (can be carried on belt if nessecary)
wash kit
tooth brush
paste
universal soap
antibactrial alco hand wash for on the move hand wash a
pillow (blow up so takes very little room)

drew

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I reckon you'll squeeze it in just about Drew, might have to leave the SLR at home and take a compact instead.

I'd maybe think about leaving the UB and taking a mat instead, I carry a similar load in my 35 for summer camps but use a 3/4 Thermarest instead.

Try putting you mat in first on it's end in an open tube, then stuff everything else in after. Can't remember how small the Big Tarp packs down but you want to try and get it in the lid pocket if you can.

35L is easily doable for a couple of nights but you just have to look at your choice of kit a bit more carefully. Do you need all three cooking pots ? Maybe just take the crusader or even drop that and use the billy with a lighter cup.

It is difficult to fit everything in a 35 ltr pack; it can be done but you may have to make sacrifices;
for example you may have to loose to books or change to a 1 ltr water bottle, only have 1 pot which you can drink out of/ eat out of and put all of your kitchen stuff in and any stove you're taking plus fuel.
only take the food and clothes you need. it's especially difficult in winter when you need more stuff to keep warm.

when you get it just keep playing and re-packing to see how much you can get in.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I did a two nighter round Thirlmere back in May, I took the 35L and carried this ..

Nomad Tropical hammock
DD 3x3
3/4 Thermarest
Vango Ultralite 200 doss bag

Micro fleece pullover
Norrona waterproof trew
Goretex pro-shell jacket
spare socks

Knife (on belt)
Laplander
Petzl headtorch + spare batts
Millbank bag
map
compass
GPS
FAK

Snow Peak 900 pot + length of light chain
Ti-Lite mug + brew kit
Orange cordial
4 x dehydrated meal
6pk of sausages

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
you should give the "going lightweight" section under hints and tips on www.backpackinglight.co.uk a read, some good advice on there about packing light weight. it really is about packing the essentials and then having a real good think about luxury items and if you really need them.

Colin

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
unpack it all and go through everything and think each thing should do 2 things ie crusader mug =cook pot and mug , drop the flask and pillow use your jumper etc for a pillow hope that makes sense .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
kit list
true north outdoors tarp
underblanket or roll mat (if it makes more room cos then i could go on the floor if nessacery but perfer underblanket plus can strap this to the outside if nessacery)
poncho liner Ditch and replace with additional warm mid or base layer.
first aid kit Pocket
head torch Ditch and replace with small torch.
knife (go on belt)
laplander (go on belt)
water proof trousers Wear or ditch
gaters Wear
water proof jacket Wear or ditch
underwear Wear
socks Wear
tshirt Ditch.
ktichen Ditch.
mess tin Ditch.
billy can
kfs Ditch all but spoon.
flask Ditch.
food and 2litre bottle of water Only 1 litre needed if also carrying crusader bottle.bottle as well.
books Ditch.
food for free Ditch.
trees Ditch.
camera Nikon dslr d3000 Ditch unless you can use it better than a compact.(can be carried on belt if necessary)
wash kit Ditch.
tooth brush Ditch.
paste Ditch.
universal soap Ditch.
antibactrial alco hand wash for on the move hand wash a Pocket
pillow (blow up so takes very little room) Ditch.

Then look at this thread for an overnight pack.

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
LOL isn't the Snugpak bag 30 litres on it's own ? I'd defiinitely drop all the girly hygiene and washing stuff and the spare undies, no one out there to smell you, except your mates and you don't have to worry about offending them. I have a wash once a month whether I need it or not.

And did I actually see "kitchen" in the list ?? That must take up a fair bit of space!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
With or without the Snugpak sleeping bag it's a lot of kit to be fitting into a 35 ltr daysack...

How far are you planning on walking??

The altered packing list would help immensely a pack with the correct capacity would be better IMHO..

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I don't get the small pack bursting at the seams thing anymore, There is hardly any noticible difference in weight (on my back) between my Karri sabre 30 and Sabre 45.

The 45 holds all my kit and gives me room for anything I pick up along the way. I would much rather have the kit stashed loose rather than have to be craming it all in first thing in the morning with cold tired hands etc.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have used a 32 litre pack for a three day backpacking trip in the autumn with temperatures dipping below freezing at night and found it big enough.

However, I was staying at camp sites so did not carry food or cooking equipment. You won't fit it in unless you ditch things like books, camera (use your phone?), flask (no need if you have stove) and spare clothes (for a short trip in cold weather you don't need spares). Like Wayland advises, wear much of your kit so you don't have to pack it.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I don't get the small pack bursting at the seams thing anymore, There is hardly any noticible difference in weight (on my back) between my Karri sabre 30 and Sabre 45.

The 45 holds all my kit and gives me room for anything I pick up along the way. I would much rather have the kit stashed loose rather than have to be craming it all in first thing in the morning with cold tired hands etc.

That.

Can you get side pockets for the Karrimor 35? If so, I'd invest in a couple of them - gives greater versatility.
It always amuses me to see people who take 'only' a 35L pack, but then strap loads of stuff to the outside. Take a 45L or 60L in the first place and be done with it. It's not a competition, after all. If you can't get it all in a 35L (and still want to take it all) then you need a bigger pack.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Drew you will struggle. :(

That said, I used to have a Berghaus Munro 35 liter pack and managed to pack a fair old load both into and onto it. A sleeping bag doesn't have to packed into rugby ball shape, it can just as easily be a rolled into a long thin tube, waterproofed with a rubble sack and then placed atop the pack and tied down the sides. Some form of side-pack or satchel for your bits and bobs can save space too, however if you plan on a longish walk modify the satchel so that you can attach it to the pack straps and secure it to your chest (much healthier for your back).

Hope this helps.

Edited to add:

Alternatively just bite the bullet and get a larger pack, I use a 47 litre for most of my travels these days.

:)

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I can manage to get this into an old Lowe Alpine Walkabout 30, (admittedly LA are sized generously)

3/4 Thermarest
Softie 6
MOD bivvy bag
Poncho, paracord & plastic pegs
2 Titanium cups & Lexan cutlery
2l Platypus bladder
Gas cooker (non dodgy on Xray shape)
Petzl torch
SW & VHF/UHF radios
Binoculars
Books & nav. kit
Light fleece, hat, spare shirt & socks
Wash kit, towel & TP
Admin. kit (batts, lighter, paper & pen etc.)

This is my fair weather kit cut to a bare minimum for air travel during the summer.
For colder weather if I dumped the radio and bnocs I can pack a fleece pants, Arktis softie jacket and Goretex pants easily into a 35l sack.
Either carry the Thermarest outside the bag or I like to unroll it inside the sack and then pack the rest of the kit inside it.
Water can be filled along the way and extra food bought.
With a 45l I can fit all this stuff in but with a proper 4 season doss bag.
Happy trails...torc.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I can manage to get this into an old Lowe Alpine Walkabout 30, (admittedly LA are sized generously)

3/4 Thermarest
Softie 6
MOD bivvy bag
Poncho, paracord & plastic pegs
2 Titanium cups & Lexan cutlery
2l Platypus bladder
Gas cooker (non dodgy on Xray shape)
Petzl torch
SW & VHF/UHF radios
Binoculars
Books & nav. kit
Light fleece, hat, spare shirt & socks
Wash kit, towel & TP
Admin. kit (batts, lighter, paper & pen etc.)

This is my fair weather kit cut to a bare minimum for air travel during the summer.
For colder weather if I dumped the radio and bnocs I can pack a fleece pants, Arktis softie jacket and Goretex pants easily into a 35l sack.
Either carry the Thermarest outside the bag or I like to unroll it inside the sack and then pack the rest of the kit inside it.
Water can be filled along the way and extra food bought.
With a 45l I can fit all this stuff in but with a proper 4 season doss bag.
Happy trails...torc.

No waterproof jacket??

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
supprised to see that you want to ditch the toothbrush dental hygene should be near the top of anybodys list

kit list
true north outdoors tarp
poncho liner Ditch and replace with additional warm mid or base layer.
first aid kit Pocket
head torch Ditch and replace with small torch.
knife (go on belt)
laplander (go on belt)
water proof trousers Wear or ditch
gaters Wear
water proof jacket Wear or ditch
underwear Wear
socks Wear
tshirt Ditch.
ktichen Ditch.
mess tin Ditch.
billy can
kfs Ditch all but spoon.
flask Ditch.
food and 2litre bottle of water Only 1 litre needed if also carrying crusader bottle.bottle as well.
books Ditch.
food for free Ditch.
trees Ditch.
camera Nikon dslr d3000 Ditch unless you can use it better than a compact.(can be carried on belt if necessary)
wash kit Ditch.
tooth brush Ditch.
paste Ditch.
universal soap Ditch.
antibactrial alco hand wash for on the move hand wash a Pocket
pillow (blow up so takes very little room) Ditch.

Then look at this thread for an overnight pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE