2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Arctic_Load.jpg

Well I think I have my kit just about sorted out now.

I'm carrying two packs, the smaller mountain pack attached to the front of the shoulder straps for balance.

This will be split into three bags for flying and some carried in pockets and worn.

Kit list: (Subject to change of course)

Wool Base layers, one worn, one spare. Bamboo boxers and one thin wool mid layer top.
Bison wool shirt and warm thick wool trousers.
Stormy Kromer vest and coat combination.
Canvas and Ventile snow parka and Ventile over trousers.
Down jacket (packed in pillow case) and Paramo Fuera windproof smock (for working in snow holes)
[FONT=&amp]Wool cap, Ne-Suk[/FONT], balaclava + wool headover.
Two pairs thick wool socks, two pairs thin Coolmax socks, one pair Sealskinz socks and one pair squaddie socks.
One pair Baffin Pac boots, one pair Canadian Mukluks, three sets of liners and insoles usable for either.
Two pairs German cold weather mitts + three pairs thin fleece gloves for liners.
Saami style cord belt.
Cotton handkerchiefs and microfibre towel.

[FONT=&amp]Canvas Crusader with Arktis side pockets + Mountain Pack[/FONT]. (All with waterproof liners)
Nanok 10-E and Vango UL900 Sleeping bags.
Brit Army Bivi bag with extra zip fitted.
Exped 9 Pump XL down mat.
ZebraLight and Klill stick with Lithium cells and spares. Betalight. Uco light and two candles.
Primus billy cans, Trangia and Clickstand, Assorted KFS and cooking accessories.
Insulated mug with lid, Kuksa and Bowl
Thermos flask and water bottles.
Trailhawk and pocket knife.
Wash kit, personal first aid and maintenance kits.
Documentation in poly bags.
Sunglasses, goggles and Inuit goggles.
Cameras, tripod adaptor, cards, chargers and batteries. (In micro fibre pouches inside small dry bags)
Snow shovel, Snoclaw, ice claws, (possibly ice axe depending on terrain), snow knife/saw, blow poker, snow brush.
Strong nylon cord on netting needle.
Ice fishing kit and bait.
Waterproof notebook and pencil.
Small reflective plastic tarp.
Pouches for drink mixes and snack foods.
Strong dry bag for food cache (and third bag for flying).
Compass and map in map case.
Snow shoes.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Arctic_Load.jpg

Well I think I have my kit just about sorted out now.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Don't forget that you'll need to be carrying 1 week's supply of food too! Or will that be in the 3rd bag?

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Be carefull of flight weight limits Gary ( we havn't met, hope you do not mind me using your name rather than your forum name ! )
Are you paying for extra allowance ?
What is your carry on, the small pack ?
I am taking my civvy Trangia but have heard worrying things about the burner being 'picked up during scans at the airport and people being pulled off of planes if it even smells of meths !
I am thinking of buying a new, sterile one for the outward trip with a view to ditching it if it looks like causing problems, ridiculous I know but
I do not want any trouble at airports!
I am bringing my snow shovel but will be leaving my ice axe.
Nice set up, I shall post my list if it would help or be of interest.
My best.
Chris.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I can get that within flight limits on one airline but will be paying for an extra bag on the other. Yes the small pack is my carry on.

I wondered about the Trangia burner too but I can always knock out a Photon if I have to when I get there.

(Gary is fine by the way but most people actually call me Wayland.)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Here's my current sleep system

Ridgerest (winter) foam mat, Karrimor X-Lite mat, RAB down smock pillow, PHD Baltoro 800 bag (-21C), PHD Minum 500 bag (-10C), Army bivi bag

IMG_0219.JPG

Ready for packing-

IMG_0220.JPG

And my footwear and hat/balaclava selection including 2 pair of Buffalo mitts and a Paramo balaclava.

IMG_0221.JPG

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Any thoughts are welcomed.

You don't seem to have specifically mentioned fire-making kit, I'm assuming that like me you never go anywhere without it but I'd have it on my list. :)

I'd probably just take a 'phone instead of all the photography kit, a lot lighter and it in a pinch it might be able to call in the rescue services.

Speaking of which, is anything in there dayglo orange?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I go places to take pictures so my cameras are the first thing to get on my packing list.

As it is I'm leaving my heaviest lens but two cameras are a must for me on a trip like this.

I'll have a container of matches in my billy, that should be more than enough and as for dayglow, that's what rucksack liners are for in my opinion.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Don't forget that you'll need to be carrying 1 week's supply of food too! Or will that be in the 3rd bag?

Sorry, missed this earlier.

The dry bag will be my third bag / food cache, I'm buying most of my food locally so I should be able to use the dry bag once I have it's flight contents attached to my bergen.

I have to admit I'll be portaging more than I'd like but I'm don't fancy reducing my sleeping kit or my clothing really.

Of course the easiest thing would be if we could get to an outdoor store in Andselv to pick up some kiddie sledges and rig them up as pulks.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Are there any flight times up yet folks ( I admit to not having looked, realy, realy busy this end! )
Are we being assured of a reasonable 'provisions stop, inc.
food and meths or 'Rodspirit' I think it is called in Norg... )
My best.
Chris

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I got the Ortovox Beast Saw in the end although I'm not very impressed by the saw.I have a couple of wooden ice axes, one is 66cm and the other 70cm (If I take one it'll probably be the shorter one.)

Cannot say I'm a fan of Ortovox shovels they make really good Transcievers and probes...

I'd be inclined depending on the terrain you are heading into to taken the longer axe.. Generally a reasonable rule of thumb with ice axes is the steeper the terrain the shorter the axe needed... As it seems to be a more bush orientated trip than a mountain trip you might find you are on gentle slopes where the axe is acting more as a walking stick and back up in case of a slip or trip. If you use a shorter axe on that sort of terrain ( if you are placing it correctly) you end up stooped over which with a Bergen or day sack on is knackering... Might be worth checking with the organizers to see if an Ice axe is needed..

Any how I'm looking forward to you guys going and reading the trip report. it'll be interesting to see how your home made kit and other kit choices fair.CheersJohn

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE