2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
It is now 22.10 hours. I just put a bottle of water 97.5 C in the parka and put it in the freezer. I will check again tomorrow morning. If it is not frozen solid, it should serve me well on our trip, agreed? ;)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
It is now 22.10 hours. I just put a bottle of water 97.5 C in the parka and put it in the freezer. I will check again tomorrow morning. If it is not frozen solid, it should serve me well on our trip, agreed? ;)
No. it's your body heat that stops the water freezing...

you'll have to put the parka on and sleep in the freezer tonight :)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
No. it's your body heat that stops the water freezing...

you'll have to put the parka on and sleep in the freezer tonight :)

I just tried, I can only get a couple of fingers in the OR bottle parka ;)

No way I am going to fit in there, and even then I would still need to fit in the freezer....maybe as another test.....

bikething

May 31, 2005
No way I am going to fit in there, and even then I would still need to fit in the freezer....maybe as another test.....
Not much of a test.. Freezers generally run at -18 degrees.

If you want to be sure of liquid water in the morning, a tried and tested (by me) method is to fill a nalgene bottle with hot water and throw it in your sleeping bag about 10 mins before bed time. You get a pre-heated bag, a hot water bottle to keep you warm as you fall asleep (i suffer with cold feet) and it'll still be liquid in the morning :)

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
thats a good tip same as in the norge manual

here is another one

Once you have water, keep it next to you to prevent refreezing. Also, donot fill your canteen completely. Allowing the water to slosh around willhelp keep it from freezing.​

bikething

May 31, 2005
thats a good tip same as in the norge manual
I've not seen that manual before - cheers for the link :)

here is another one

Once you have water, keep it next to you to prevent refreezing. Also, donot fill your canteen completely. Allowing the water to slosh around willhelp keep it from freezing.​
If there is a risk of freezing, then turn your water bottle upside-down. that way, any ice that forms on top of the water will be underneath it when you turn the bottle the right way up and you can get at any liquid water that remains in the bottle.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I was thinking of bringing my North Face base camp duffle as my main bagm I huge advantage over a ruck sack is the ease with which one can get to the contents of the pack without having to pull everything out.( used this on the last arctic trip.)
I guess it depends on how far I would have to yomp with it to get to our base site.
It does have straps so I can wear it on my back, but I am not sure that I would like to carry it for more than about a km!
30 day pack for our daily trips out of base.
I shall ring Becky and see what I can find out.
Chris.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Not much of a test.. Freezers generally run at -18 degrees.

If you want to be sure of liquid water in the morning, a tried and tested (by me) method is to fill a nalgene bottle with hot water and throw it in your sleeping bag about 10 mins before bed time. You get a pre-heated bag, a hot water bottle to keep you warm as you fall asleep (i suffer with cold feet) and it'll still be liquid in the morning :)

This morning at 6:30 the water was still liquid and 11.3 C.
Make of the test what you will, but if the pot parka keeps water from freezing for more than 8 hours at -19C I think it will do nicely for our course. The general idea is to drink the water and if I haven't drunk it for 8 hours I must be dehydrating ;)
I know people keep the parka in their sleeping bag too, as it leaks just enough warmth to be cosy.

As long as we are in our sleepings bags, we can all keep our bottles from freezing, but at some point we have to get up and do something :D

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
By George, I think I've done it :rolleyes:

If mister postman does his job, I should have a schnozzle and connector in a couple of days. Should give me time enough to try it out and see if it works.

Yep, just got the schnozzle in the mailbox with the all important valve connector. We should be able to pump up any exped mat with a 22 or 32 mm valve. Only takes about a minute and Bob's your uncle ;)
It can't weigh more than a couple of grams and doesn't take up any space so no reason not to bring it.

Just did the final shopping. Candles are on the kitlist and I didn't have any in the house other than waxine lights (don't know if you call them that in English).
My beard is coming along nicely, I am starting to scare the neighbourhood children :D

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Just finished making my axe, it's rough but it certainly splits wood OK.

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE