16cm Zebra and thermette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The 16 cm Zebra a mate sent from Oz has finally arrived and the Thermette slots neatly inside and the whole lot inside a PLCE side pocket.

16cm01.jpg

The pail handle is a bit bulky, as is the lid, any sugesttions on replacements, ideally with pics for me to copy?

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Brake cable sounds the job. Since I've not been in a bike shop for a loooong time, do they sell it by the yard? 'held on with a pair of these sort of things?

http://www.cablejoints.co.uk/upload/Cembre_Crimp_Lug___Cembre_Contained_Palm_Lug___ring_tongue.pdf

Excellent!

Thanks folks!

Tom

Actually a long time ago I picked up a hank of that armored braided wire sheath stuff, I think the forces use it over wiring to make it cut resistant (pause while I dig it out), yeah here it is, 5.5 metres of 6145 99 640 4068 BRAID. it's like steel wire para cord with the inside pulled out. Would that do?

As has been said, take the handle off.

I replaced mine with cycle brake cable held in place with an electrical connector strip (with the insulation taken off).

Simon

Don't bother buying cable, nip into your local bicycle shop and ask if they have any old brake / gear cable which they have replaced.

As far as connectors, rather than the crimped type, you can use the electrical 'chocolate block' type of connectors. Just cut the plastic away & you're left with the metal connector with a screw at each end. A little threadlock / superglue on the threads will ensure it stays firm.

Slightly off-topic, but whilst you're at the cycle shop, ask them if they've got any old inner-tube as well as its great for lighting fires (even in the wet) and you'll probably get it all for free as it'd only be going in the bin otherwise.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi Tom, I can't agree more that the pail handle is bulky.
I like it though because it makes handling/ pouring/ eating from easy. No need a pot handle.
But I dislike packing it. The handle seems to be in the way.

I recently did some experimenting. Made a handle from some aluminum pieces.

IMG_3595.jpg

The handle can now be folded under the pail.

IMG_3600.jpg

I think I have effectively moved my 'problem' from the side to the bottom...he...he.... :p

IMG_3597.jpg

But at least it packs easier into my pack now.

Cheers

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Until I can get some materials I've bodged together a handle from the wire braid and a couple of wiring terminal thingies hammered on, then pop rivetet in place with washers..

16cmNewHandle01.JPG

It's not very elegant but is strong and will do until I can fashion a long rigid handle that I can lock in the upright position when required.

16cmNewHandle02.JPG

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE