15 minute framesaw tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I needed to cut some logs today but did not have my bow saw or my properly made framesaw with me. So I quickly knocked up a framesaw. Its not a work of art but it does the job and it only took 15 mins to make. Saved alot of time with the timber I had to cut.

Finished saw.
00.jpg

Three random, but straight greenwood sticks - hazel and sycamore.
04.jpg

De-barked.
05.jpg

Holes marked half way up the uprights for the holes to take the cross-brace.
06.jpg

Cross-brace pointed and popped into the shallow holes made in the uprights.
07.jpg

Notches for the tensioning cord and the tensioning stick.
08.jpg

Slits for the blade and holes (I screwed the screws in but I expect holes could me made with a drill).
09.jpg

Finished saw with the tools used to make it.
10.jpg

Cutting some 5 inch hardwood limbs for testing before I started on the really big stuff.
11.jpg

Collapsed and packed away after use.
12.jpg

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Ok everyone gather round, now form a circle, pick up those big stones on the ground and your feet. Now on my command hurl them at Littlebiglane for being just too b****y handy and clever by half!

It just ain't fair :(

Nice job, ya git! :eek:

:You_Rock_

Okay...it may have been 17 minutes to make :D
:theyareon

Seriously though. This is very straight forward to make. The only real tricky bit to get right is making sure the cross-brace and the matching holes are in line with the slits to hold your sawblade. If they are out then the frame has a habit of twisting on its axis as it saws under tension.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Okay...it may have been 17 minutes to make :D
:theyareon

Yeah thought so. 15mins! Pah! My dimpled ar$e!

I see what you mean about it tending to twist about the horizontal bar. That's where the tenons come into their own. Still a blinding bit of kit though, I'm well impressed. It's just a case of having the confidence to have a go and see if the results are up to expectations.

Me? I'd still be whittling my first mortice while you'll be busy sawing your way through your fourth log. :eek:

Well done. Images saved for a future campfire project one evening. :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice work and a very well-done tutorial! :beerchug: Thanks for posting it.

I usually fit my crossbrace with a square notch. It stops the wiggle and is easy to make. It just has to be a snug fit.

bucksaw1c.jpg

bucksaw1b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE