Poor Mans Fire Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Treat myself to a few blank Ferro rods and knock up 3 for the grandkids.
First is a simple stick with a grove in the top half, which I drilled a few holes into. Cut some notches in the ferro rod and used milliput as the glue.
HolesAndNotches.jpg

Steel2.jpg
Also made a "standard" one (Yes it moved while the araldite set!) and one based on a "tripod" . The tripod was a bracket I had made to hold the poles of my Lavvu but was unhappy with the angles, so it was just hanging around. The tripod one is for a 5 year old.

All3.jpg

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Wow i have found an idea off here already that will help my wife , she has arthritus and raynard in her hand and holding small stuff is not easy , i put rubber and foam bands on most stuff but the long handle paddle type i like the idea of but the bracket idea is so much better as she can put it downb and rest her hand on the top and then just rub the steel down thanks great idea

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It can also be draged along a blade edge. Place a knife, blade upper most, near your tinder bundle. Hold the steel handle and place your finger along the length of wood, ferro rod below. Drag the steel over the blade at 90 degrees and the sparks fall onto the tinder. The wood keeps the finger safe.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE