13,000 Year old temple,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Abiogenesis as used in this case is the "mechanism" by which life comes into existance begins without life to spawn it.

It is the opposite of "biogenesis" which suggests that life only comes from other life.
Francesco Redi, Lazzaro Spallanzani, Louis Pasteur and others disproved the general theory of abiogenesis with their experiments, showing that life does not come from non-life.

Abiogenesis (both in the use of the word relating to modern organisms or the origin of life itself) does not have the experimental basis that the law of biogenesis has, while some have been able to produce amino acids in an ideal environment (I'm not aware of any evidence that such an environment existed but there may well be some), the question of how they then form protocells and eventually life is unanswered.
Extra-terrestrial hypothoses have the exact same problems, moving the origin off-world does not solve the problem, it just relocates it.

I find it interesting how some people involved in the debate (generally, not just on this forum) want to claim all the evidence for their own side of the argument and claim the other side has little or nothing but faith.
The reality is, things are as they are and fossils exist.
Since it is impossible to test hypothoses about what DID happen (as opposed to "could have" happened) with the scientific method - both sides must share the evidence (as both sides live on the same planet where 'things are as they are') neither one has all the evidence and neither one has none.
Either side's argument necessarily involves some faith in something, be it an unprovable hypothesis or an unprovable deity or otherwise.

Both sides of the argument are interpretation of the facts, not facts themselves.

The usual way for these debates is to descend into accusations of fallacy (which I see this one has already done) and misuse of Ockham's Razor and so on.
One side necessarily requires the addition of an extra "entium", the other side necessarily requires the non-existance (or at least, non-involvement) thereof.
Both sides require the unprovable to be postulated in order to get anywhere, so writing either side off due to the unprovable is inadequate...
...that, of course, means neither side can prove their argument beyond internal logical consistency... but that either side can be hampered by inconsistency.

At some point both sides require someone to make a leap of faith. Either you're saying "abiogenesis then evolutuion" or you're saying "supernatural origin (with or without evolution)" and if you believe in one or the other there is faith involved as the very foundation of your chosen belief is basically unprovable.

For either side to claim greater intellectual integrity due to the lack of faith involved in their system is intellecutally dishonest (or at best, mistaken).

The most robust argument in this whole debate is the "we don't know for sure". That's never going to be enough for most people though. Whatever side you're on is your own choice, you've not been forced into it and shouldn't force others into it, nor should you ridicule either side for the side they are on or the process that led them to that side.
Just as one side can show "bad examples" of "creationists" believeing because the alternative horrifies/scares/unsettles/confuses them, the other side can show "bad examples" of "evolutionists" believing because the alternative is undesirable/distasteful/unsettling to them, be it for any one of a number of reasons, most of which are personal to the individual "evolutionist" and based on no hard fact or evidence.

And that's me done.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You are trying to force some kind of admittance that one must have faith to `believe` in something and therfore all faith precedes logic, therefor all logic is faith and all faith is logic. but again as pointed out, you are putting aside types of evidence and attempting to generalise into one big catagory.

Faith in the dictionary

1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
4. often Faith Christianity The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
yes good post Bigshot.
Ill point out though Im accusing Red of fallicious arguements because he is actually using them!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hoaxes have been perpetated. This is a matter of record.
It is not logical to sugest that because a hoax has been perpetrated in the past that all evidence may be a hoax and must be treated as such. this is a fallicious arguement that comes under many names and you'd be chucked out of any debating society by imagining this to be a sophisticated style of debate.

Yes, it is precisely and absolutely logical.

Please explain the fallacy in the argument.

If hoaxes have been perpetrated in the past and have been presented as facts, by scientists it is absolutely logical to acknowledge that a fact presented by a scientist has the possibility (however remote) of being a hoax.

Calling something a fallacy does not make it one. (I was never "chucked out" of the debating society btw ;))

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
actually big shot, some of your post doesnt add up. You claim Abiogenesis has been disproved yet the scientists you list,are from hundreds of years ago. Francesco Redi 1626-, 1697 Lazzaro Spallanzani , from the 1700,s and Louis Pasteu from the 1800`s. Science has moved on considerably from these times, you might want to read a modern science book.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
duty_calls_1.png

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I don't really want to wade back into the debate strictly because of the fact that it's getting a bit unpleasant, but surely if we're going to accept that because hoaxes have been organised, that belief in anything you haven't directly observed is faith, then we must also accept that because people have hallucinations, dreams etc that observing something is no proof of its existance, either, and we are placing faith in the suggestion that:
A) We do, in fact, exist, we are not figments of our own or someone else's imagination, and the physical world as we know it is ACTUALLY the physical world
B) Our senses are accurate
C) Our brains are functioning correctly, if there is such a thing

So you can't really believe anything at all without having faith...

Pete

Guys maybe I can jump in...
...I'm not getting involved, as I officially retired from this debate some time ago (and semi-retired "in real life" too), but I believe I might be able to help at this point in the discussion, as an outsider.

BritishRed is correct to say that until a person has seen with his (non-gender specific) own eyes there's an element of faith in his belief in the existance of some creature or another.
That's partly why I always get excited the first time I see something in the flesh as it somehow *feels* more real to me.

Firecrest is correct to say there is a fundamental difference between a creature a person has not seen, and a deity they can not see.

I think you're arguing about two ever so slightly different things.

While faith in a corporal being is one that can be confirmed with nothing more than a change in the viewer's location (and possibly a device for magnification)...
...there is an analogous faith on both sides, you've already read what I have to say on that point though.

Come to think about it - the arguing about slightly different things issue was one of the main reasons I stopped getting into this debate so much. :p
One person making one point and another person defending against something else - it's like a cacophony of straw men all falling at once. Haha.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
actually big shot, some of your post doesnt add up. You claim Abiogenesis has been disproved yet the scientists you list,are from hundreds of years ago. Francesco Redi 1626-, 1697 Lazzaro Spallanzani , from the 1700,s and Louis Pasteu from the 1800`s. Science has moved on considerably from these times, you might want to read a modern science book.

http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-definition/Abiogenesis/

It is still disproved. Well the part about life from non life anyway

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yes, it is precisely and absolutely logical.

Please explain the fallacy in the argument.

If hoaxes have been perpetrated in the past and have been presented as facts, by scientists it is absolutely logical to acknowledge that a fact presented by a scientist has the possibility (however remote) of being a hoax.

Calling something a fallacy does not make it one. (I was never "chucked out" of the debating society btw ;))

Red

What you are asking me to do is to assume all knowledge that comes to me is possibly a hoax because piltdown man was. Of course its possible for some things to be hoaxes but that is true in all areas of life. It doesnt follow I need to be suspicious that a living creature does not exist. And, please dont bring out the example of the haggis!....

Firecrest...
...science hasn't "moved on" with regards to biogenesis.

Those were mentioned because that was the most relevant work on the point, and since then they have not been disproven. 100+ years and still going strong.
Nothing in modern science has changed their findings, just added a lot of hypotheses about origins to the mix.

I've read more on this subject (both modern and ancient [if 150 years or so is ancient]) than I care to think about right now. My earlier post still stands up in light of modern science. ;)
EDIT: Note that I made veilled references to the work of people like Oparin, Haldane, Miller and Urey and more recent attempts at proof-of-concept.

Oh, and on the topic of cartoons... I've always liked this one...
math.gif

I think that applies to lots of people arguing on both sides of the debate.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-definition/Abiogenesis/

It is still disproved. Well the part about life from non life anyway, Or more precisely they can not prove it

From that page:

The modern definition of abiogenesis is concerned with the formation of the simplest forms of life from primordial chemicals. This is a significantly different thing from the concept of Aristotelian abiogenesis, which postulated the formation of complex organisms. Different hypotheses for modern abiogenetic processes are currently under debate; see, for example, RNA world hypothesis, proteinoid, Miller experiment.

The bit at the top was talking about the original theory, not modern adaptations.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Fair point, they have not managed to support their new theory yet though.

I almost hope they don't, the debates to be had are far too enjoyable :p

Out of curiosity, what would happen if we did find out the origin of it all? As in, we received irrefutable proof, how would it effect us and how would we react? Unlikely (or impossible) but still, the question stands.

I can't think of more of a response than "Oh... alright, then" before moving on and never thinking about it again. Unless it was aliens, of course.

Pete

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
all elements apart from hydrogen and helium were created within the nuclear fusion of stars, including carbon and oxygen (and therefor water)- that which our bodies are made up of.
At some point all elements in the universe were inorganic, but we seperate ourselves from this and call ourselves organic. as our bodies had to have been made by inorganic process abiogenesis is not disproven.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I almost hope they don't, the debates to be had are far too enjoyable :p

Out of curiosity, what would happen if we did find out the origin of it all? As in, we received irrefutable proof, how would it effect us and how would we react? Unlikely (or impossible) but still, the question stands.

I can't think of more of a response than "Oh... alright, then" before moving on and never thinking about it again. Unless it was aliens, of course.

Pete

I think that about sums it up for everyone bar the people who were involved in proving it, and the opposition :)

I was going to make this post as an edit to my previous one to say just "and now i'm really, really done" but figured I might as well chuck one more thing into the mix as I think Draven's post is a good one.

Draven...
What would happen?
That would depend on what the origin was.
Either way would be a very similar pattern though.

If we found indisputable proof of theistic creationism (be that judeo-christian or more general) most of the comitted atheists would ignore it or find a reason to disbelieve and the debate would take on a new angle. (Probably with greater use of the mocking "FSM" arguments - which I've always found infantile to say the least)
We'd then be into things like comparitive theology.

If we found indisputable proof of atheistic origins (abiogenesis) most of the comitted theists would ignore it or find a reason to disbelieve (or simply argue that was the means of theistic creation).

The agnostics would be unchanged in either case as "we can never truly know" - and of course, they'd be right.

All we could ever actually find would be proof of concept. Whether we prove that abiogenesis (in the modern use of the word) was possible, or impossible, we could not prove which one did happen, just that it is possible under specific conditions. Since we can't prove what conditions were there at that time (if there was a there and a that time - let's not forget that isn't established by either side yet either) The debate would continue, as ever.

If it was aliens nothing would change - "where did they come from though?" and there we go again.

Either way there'll be a debate to be had if you want one, and either way neither side can prove their side beyond any doubt, as that is beyond the reach of the scientific method. :)

Have fun kids - I'm now happily going back into retirement from the debate. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE