Genuine surplus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Exterior markings. Quality of the seals (dark orange colored seals). If they are the latest type they have an NBC attachment on the lid (pull on the loop that holds the cap to the bottle to find out). Copies are unlikley to have this on them.

They are unlikly to be copies ... I've never seen copies of the brit army bottle ... there's so many of them about and they are cheap!

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Mine are genuine and have these markings on them:

On the front it has

KEEP AWAY FROM
HEAT OR FLAME
(arrow pointing up)
STOCK No973-6665

OSPREY

On the cap it has

OSPREY
(arrow)CATNo973-6908

On the bottom it has

ENGLAND
CM/02

Hope that helps :)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Not that is probably worries you but the cap with the CATNo973-6908 number isn't the NBC cap ... just in case you are wondering. :-D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:shock:
i remember trying to replace a 58 waterbottle to replace a lost one to the army.

all i could find was copies, the thing that warned me was the fact they look and feel different, more shiney, lighter in weight all of the printed warning stuff was on it!

but because i had been using a real one the fakes jump out at you, the fakes also don't have the NBC top.

a good point to note is that Genuine US bottles also have an NBC top some with a pop of plastic tab.

the US version has a rubber valve rather than the british plastic one.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
All geniune british army surplus will have the nato crows foot (arrow pointing up) upon them.

However I have 4 x 58 bottles which where issued to me and only one has the NBC top - replacemeent tops were issued and soldiers were expected to change them I only bothered to do it on one bottle (pre-1999) - so that isnt a good indicator of genuine military issue. Further to this I also only have two with orange rubber seals, one has black and one has a white coloured one so again you cant be sure - they seemed to change from batch to batch. I also know that the makers of the 58 bottle make and sell to the civilian market and these they mark similar but instead of NSN they put a cat. no. and as far as I can tell these bottles are just as good as the issue ones but not second hand.

At the end of the day i would say only the crows foot and the NSN will be correct to issue gear.

US army gear is similar - the NBC seal is more common as is the 'burner plate' message (idiots guide) however the US government use so many suppliers this cannot always be a good guide line. Added to this most of the companies who make US issue gear also sell their wares on the civi market and of course dont bother with NBC or other mili spec add ons.

I am a great fan of the 1 qrt canteen preferring it to the 58 bottle and have several different models which I use all the time. The issue bottle has a white plastic inner 'O' ring seal in the lid while the 'improved' army 2000 model has a white foam type disk - both are made by the same company and both are issued to the troops, swat teams etc.

Question is at the end of the day does it matter if its surplus? Price wise maybe, although surplus being second hand should be cheaper I know a few companies who actually bump up the price for surplus!

Surely quality of product is more important as at the end of the day we wont what is best for us. With this in mind I suggest forgetting about NSN's ect and instead recommending you should look for a tough plastic bottle that you can not squeeze out of shape further to this it should be of a dark (non dee through) plastic so as not to allow our water treatement to be halted by UV and finally (a personal preference) a bottle of litre capacity so by carrying two we know we are maintaining correct hydration, we can pack them for balance of weight and in a worse case scenerio if we lose or damage one we still have a serviable container we can use in the other.

One question I have however - what does the Swedish army get issued Viking?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I guess as long as it holds water OK then it does its job!

However, I wonder if there are copies about with the NATO crowsfoot on it ... probably not worth copying considering the price.

I've used all sorts to carry water ... Sigg, Platypus, 58 Patt, 1 qrt but now favor the 58 patt ... it's robust and fits in nice with my hexy stove and mug. Never broken one orhad a problem with it. I've got about six here and 2 have the NBC top, five have the orange seal and one a black one. Seems like there are variations ... but they all carry water OK!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Gary said:
One question I have however - what does the Swedish army get issued Viking?

There is the old one made of aluminium (not being used nymore)

DSC00160.jpg

Then there is a newer model made of plastic (both bottles contains 0.7 litre)

DSC00159.jpg

There is 1 litre bottle that are being issued with the new combat vest that contains 1 litre and with a wider opening. The people that have used it says it´s better then the old one.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Looks ok - is the metal strap part of it? Whats it for?

Sorry about all the questions!!! :oops:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Gary said:
Looks ok - is the metal strap part of it? Whats it for?

Sorry about all the questions!!! :oops:

It´s only the crook that is metal the rest is leather. Most people use it when not carrying combat vest/belt and then attach it to a their pants. I have seen people attach it inside their jackets when it´s really cold and you dont want the water to freeze. The shape of the bottle is´about the same as the americans so it rides pretty comfortably.

Mar 2, 2004
i bought one from mill*ts the other week ......it leaked from the cap. what a p.o.s !left me thirsty and unable to cook my rice.
there should have been a picture of mickey mouse on it to warn me!!!
bloody plastic effort ..talk about false economy!!!
oh well all my own fault for being cheap...although "it" wasnt! :rant:

Mar 2, 2004
look at this madness!!!
a tilley lantern for under a tenner? gadzooks!
check out the 66 pattern trousers too..fully lined these are the beas trousers i have ever been in.wear them all the time in the woods.cause of the lining.
salubrification indeed :wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
the naughty boy said:
look at this madness!!!
a tilley lantern for under a tenner? gadzooks!
check out the 66 pattern trousers too..fully lined these are the beas trousers i have ever been in.wear them all the time in the woods.cause of the lining.
salubrification indeed :wink:

Is that a pump up pressureized lantern or the type with a wick? Either way a good deal but a MUCH better one if it is pressureized! :-D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
the fake 58 bottles have exactly the same markings including the arrow!

best advice from me is to borrow a real one and use it to compare!

the argument pro or anti surplus will continue, i use 3 58 bottles for bushcraft stuff and for hiking a platypus and a 1L nalgene bottle!

to me genuine surplus gear always seems far stronger/harder wearing (another way to find the fakes!)than it's civilian counterpart, but civilian gear on the whole seems to be lighter and more comfortable!

you pay's yer money and makes yer choice! :wink:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
RAPPLEBY's correct the crow’s foot is no indication of whether it’s a fake or not as it is replicated on many copies

check the seal to make sure that it wont leak and examine the seam on the bottom, fakes often have a more prominent seam which is prone to splitting when put under pressure.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
SquirrelBoy said:
Mine are genuine and have these markings on them:

On the front it has

KEEP AWAY FROM
HEAT OR FLAME
(arrow pointing up)
STOCK No973-6665

OSPREY

On the cap it has

OSPREY
(arrow)CATNo973-6908

On the bottom it has

ENGLAND
CM/02

Hope that helps :)

Just got one ,markings much the same but not quite.

The mug is marked
KEEP AWAY FROM
HEAT OR FLAME
(arrow pointing up)
CAT.NO973-6904

On the front it has

KEEP AWAY FROM
HEAT OR FLAME
(arrow pointing up)
CAT NO973-6665

On the cap it has

(arrow)CAT.NO.973-6908

On the bottom it has no markings

The seller described it as
(New) Water Bottle & Cup British Army Issue. Cat No: 973-6904 -- 2003 -- Brand New Condition
Dont know where the 2003 came from.

Does it sound like a fake?
The seal is white foam not rubber.
Also no OSPREY or date.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Like all things the military are always changing supplier - they dont say 'remember your kit is provided by the lowest bidder' for nothing.

The 2003 in your sellers describtion probably comes from the fact that these are the newest batch of waterbottles made for the forces.

Remember the markings described above in this thread are the old markings and as such are found on either old war stocks or second hand bottles.

Ultimately you should be more worried about the following - does it hold water without leaking? Is it tough enough not to break easily? Did you get value for money?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE