water filter recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hello folks . My 70 odd year old aunty Fran is going backpacking in India. I want to get her a water filter, ideally one with a drinking bottle attached. Dont know anything about them or life straws etc but I do know that you lot on here know tons. Thanks in advance. dale x

Reactions: QT0

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Simplest to operate would be the Grayl water filter.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Would the Grayl be easy for a 70 year old lady to press? I've had a couple and they take a fair bit of force to press.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
that looks good but too expensive. Its £70. I suppose I could just give her some money for bottled water.

Even then I would be wary. Sometimes less scrupulous individuals will reuse old empty bottles by refilling with any old water that comes to hand. Make sure she checks the seals are intact.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If need something to filter viruses there's not many options.

Would definitely take some water purification tablets, if needed to refill from taps.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
yes. someone tried that with me x
would one of those hand pump ones be good enuf???? (i could forgo the bottle), ive got a brand new one i never bothered with.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Ok, but water isn't the only problem. One of the biggest causes of gastric upset is milk - as in milk in coffee or tea. Tell her to get used to drinking black tea and coffee or stick to Coke. then, of course, there's washed salad - only eat raw food you've washed yourself or freshly cooked food. Simple precautions reduce the risk dramatically.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
yes you are correct. she is pretty savvy and will learn all that i reckon. do you think that filter i posted would be useful . d x

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry, but no. I wouldn't risk my own health on an unbranded cheap water filter system let alone someone else's. Research some well known makes such as Sawyer (the one I use) or google 'portable water filter reviews' and find one by an independent outdoor magazine or travel blog.

However, to be honest, I never rely on filtration alone in arid countries anyway.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Sorry, but no. I wouldn't risk my own health on an unbranded cheap water filter system let alone someone else's. Research some well known makes such as Sawyer (the one I use) or google 'portable water filter reviews' and find one by an independent outdoor magazine or travel blog.

However, to be honest, I never rely on filtration alone in arid countries anyway.
thanks. acknowledged and looking elsewhere

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

broch hello and thanks. ive done as you said and looked at sawyer filters. the mini ones come in orange blue and black. aaside from the colours is there a difference? i looked and cant see any.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
All the Sawyer Mini systems are the same - I have no idea at all why they produce them in such a range of colours :)

One thing that is worth noting is that the Platipus water bottles and bags have the same thread as the Sawyer Mini filters and, when I bought mine, were cheaper - if you decide you need a larger one.

Reactions: LtDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
All the Sawyer Mini systems are the same - I have no idea at all why they produce them in such a range of colours :)

One thing that is worth noting is that the Platipus water bottles and bags have the same thread as the Sawyer Mini filters and, when I bought mine, were cheaper - if you decide you need a larger one.
Looks like a great option, cheap and cheerful. Shame that that it doesn't filter viruses, wondering if its worth forking out for a purifier, if I'll mostly be using it in the UK? If so, are there any decent options under £200? Don't really want to expend loads of fuel boiling water, and have heard purification tablets can affect gut bacteria.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE