eBay bans sale of all knives....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Except for 'ordinary household kitchen knives'

That's a direct quote from an eBay UK spokesmen following a Watchdog report into the sale of illegal knives on eBay.

So will this include tools and collectable legal knives...?

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Just heard this too. Not the most well thought out reaction.

Yet again, it will do very little to stop real offenders.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Moor people get killed with the ordinary kitchen knife than any other knife so i cant see the point in ebay baning the sale of outdoor activity knifes thay mite as well ban the sale off all knifes in all the shops or suppliers :aargh4: .

i do agree with rawshak mindlees idiots like the ones that have given knives a bad name just use there mums kitchen knives.The bushcraft knife is a tool not an offensive weapon it is a tool.So because of mindless morons that think it is big and hard to carry a knife to stab another person we will all have to pay for there crimes not happy about this GARY

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
all they have to do is list it as a kitchen knife and they will never know!
they dont expect it to work they just do it to keep people happy. same goes for firearms bans etc. they just do it to shut people up, to make it look like they are doing something to stop crime.

but on the bright side, not more stupid prices on rays mears knives! :)

pete

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
all they have to do is list it as a kitchen knife and they will never know!
they dont expect it to work they just do it to keep people happy. same goes for firearms bans etc. they just do it to shut people up, to make it look like they are doing something to stop crime.

but on the bright side, not more stupid prices on rays mears knives! :)

pete

Here here,........... the chavs wont be able to spend there money on £1200 woodlore lol

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Those awfully clever BBC people have done us proud. Perhaps they think they'll get an OBE or something for services to phonytopia. And Ebay are such chiselling hypocrites. If knives are primarily lethal weapons as BBC and ebay assert, they should ban sales of ALL knives, period. Why does a kitchen knife deserve exepmtions, surely it can be just as lethal, in the wrong hands, as any "illegal" kinfe? Huh?? Baffled. Ah I remembered-because well heeled bijou foodie freaks buy them as collector playthings to use in their designer toy chef kitchens :) I mean what next, ban sales of chisles, saws, axes next? I have a huge framing chisle about 20 inches long 2 inches wide razor edged, its far more of a potential offensive weapon than a four inch fixed blade knife is. And a freshly sharpened Disston saw could rip someones face off in no time, potentially (like 200 or so razor sharp knife tips in a long continuous line). Knife crime will not alter one iota as a result of this stereotypical stigmatisation and criminalisation of the vast majority of law abiding responsible knife owners. It wont change anyones basic outlook or motivations. It wont challenge or get rid of criminal tendencies. It just makes a few BBC researchers and producers look like they are doing something hip and socially relevant, to look good on there CV, thats about it :soapbox:

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
as usual its only ebay uk so wont effect anyone going to the offshore sites. maybe a complain to watchdog about the genuine knife sales. after all its not buying the knife that the crime but sticking it in someone.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Spot the dangerous one:-
bread knife
butchers knife
filleting knife
carving knife
stanley knife
steak knife
freezer knife
2" pocket folder

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Well for me its the stanley knife..lost count of the times ive cut mesellf with one of them!!Anyway,does this ban include stuff like drawknives,leatherwork knives ect..axes even?Good old ebay.Thanks.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I cant believe this - for gods sake if its hard and pointy it can kill someone - suppose the screwdrivers go next? or the kebab skewers? - all been used as weapons at some point..

grrrrr

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
as usual law abiding decent folk are discriminated against with ''blanket bans'' that do nothing to solve the real issue, how about a ''blanket ban'' on the sale of cars because some people steal them and kill others with them, it's pathetic and yet another example of ''appeasement'' at the expense of loss of liberty for decent people.

Cars, toasters, "various household products in the right quantities" and more. All been used as weapons.

Let's start with the really dangerous stuff first. Let's undo the bans on all illegal recreational drugs, guns and so on... then start at the top and ban stairs, cars, fish with bones in and the other really big killers... then we'll move onto banning the less dangerous stuff like screwdrivers and kitchen devils - eventually we will be able to ban the least dangerous things like guns and other knives.
Then we'll move onto blunt objects and eventually regress to some wierd animalistic state where we catch prey bare handed and eat it live and raw.
Tools are ALL dangerous - no exceptions.

Ban it all - give us a government operative in each house to cut everything we need - put us all on public transport and we'll go down to the rec for social time.

Welcome to Airstrip One folks. ;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Here here,........... the chavs wont be able to spend there money on £1200 woodlore lol

Must stop that sort of name calling, y'know..:rant: .:twak: The CPS will be after you otherwise..

CPS: Chav Preservation Society,work closely with the law enforcement bodies:D

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
this really upsets me actually, loads of ebay buisnesses make good money from selling knives on ebay........... but what UPSETS me and ANGERS me is that the knife is now seen as a weapon, yes if you are a moron you can stab someone with it but it is primarily a tool that many people need to use them for their hobbies and work (like us!), it really worries me that the majority of people when they see a knife see a weapon and not the oldest and most versitile piece of equipment we have.........

a sad wilderbeast tuts :(

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
this really upsets me actually, loads of ebay buisnesses make good money from selling knives on ebay........... but what UPSETS me and ANGERS me is that the knife is now seen as a weapon, yes if you are a moron you can stab someone with it but it is primarily a tool that many people need to use them for their hobbies and work (like us!), it really worries me that the majority of people when they see a knife see a weapon and not the oldest and most versitile piece of equipment we have.........

a sad wilderbeast tuts :(

It's quite serious how our liberties as law abiding decent people are being reduced, such is the present fever on knives that it is not impossible for them to be banned altogether or even god forbid be licensed in some way, the same thing happend with guns and look where that ridiculous legislation led, these laws are successful in one thing only, alienating decent harmless people, and should be opposed be everyone lest they be next for sacrifice to political appeasement.

Well having already posted my rant and had time to read through the comments on the 2 threads covering this topic, I think its time we started to look for the opportunities this is presenting in how to find a solution...

1. Would Tony consider creating an market-place auction based or otherwise for bushcraft knives here on BCUK?
  2. Should we (in conjunction with our like-minded friends on other forums such as British Blades) find a work round, which both buyers & sellers can use on ebay (eg. all knives listed on ebay.com, or sold as Kitchen Knives for indoor or OUTDOOR KITCHENS (multifunctional, suitable for filleting, peeling, carving (unspecified food / wood), whittling, batoning, etc)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE