cycle bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Nope. But tomorrow I set off on the 400 miles from home to Paris via London and Portsmouth. Will let you know if anything bushcrafty happens but the odds are against it

:)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Did a fair bit when i was young, but called it wild camping, as i still do with my camping, thats not on sites.

Been thinking about getting some panniers and doing some again.

Rob

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Never been to the UK; can't resist a cycling thread:rolleyes: .

I've always wanted to travel the Rocky Mountains by horseback, maybe someday. Bicycles have just been a more practical way for me to get around. From basic transportation to the rides that have shaped my life,,, eh, I guess I've spent a few (too many) hours in the saddle.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures of pictures, a photojournalist I am not.
A couple of bikes form a couple of long rides....

Took the train from Santa Fe, NM up to the Montana/Canada border one spring and rode through the rockies back to Santa Fe. I was out for over three mounths, had a hard time re-entering civilization:eek: . I prefer the road less traveled and so my bicycles are of the fat tire variety.
0000011h.jpg

A desert trip from southern New Mexico, across Arizona to Moab, Utah where I bailed out, met up with some friends and caught a (car)ride home.
Showing off above the Colorado river at journey's end and the rig (plus up to 6 liters h2o not shown) :

0000003q.jpg

Best of luck to you tobes01, :) mountains, deserts, jungles, the streets of Paris, it's as "bushcrafty" as you make it.
ATB,
B4

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I am amazed no one has come up with a Recliner trike, for offroad/traveling.

You should be able to take a bike anywhere something else has gone before you. A mountain bike should be able to go anywhere a horse, or 4X4 can with no problems.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yes!
Like many, I'm a keen mountain-biker. Go everywhere on that little fella.
What do you mean by 'bushcraft trips'? I have been on over-nighters with it - cycle out to somewhere, enjoying the countryside as I go, find somewhere to pitch camp for the night, then a lovely ride home the next day. Done that kind of thing a few times. Nothing more extensive though. Weight is the main consideration, which is why single night trips tend to be easiest. I'm a lazy rider - just as likely to push the bike up a hill as ride it. I do it more for a ride along the country lanes than exercise.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Just love the RPG mounted on it. Wonder if there's time to fit one to my bike this morning before I head off to Paris?

Been thinking about it but haven't had time for any bike trips in the UK this year unfortunately. However in 2007 my brother and I did a trip in Australia that probably counts. Bruv has some shots here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/colossusnz/CapeYorkJune07

Hennessey (sp?) hammock is surprisingly good for cycling; it really lets you minimise the weight without losing out on the total flexibility of stopping where you like.

s.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I find it really easy to spot wild food when cycling. I am lucky where I am the canal network is really exstensive and a joy to cycle on. I even have the british waterways pass. I am planning an overnighter with the kids on bikes. My bike won't fit a panier so I'll have to use rucksaks.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Been thinking about it but haven't had time for any bike trips in the UK this year unfortunately. However in 2007 my brother and I did a trip in Australia that probably counts. Bruv has some shots here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/colossusnz/CapeYorkJune07

Hennessey (sp?) hammock is surprisingly good for cycling; it really lets you minimise the weight without losing out on the total flexibility of stopping where you like.

s.

Excellent trip. I did that ride in 1991 on a Scott Windriver the frame of which still hangs in the shed awaiting it's rebirth!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE