Fire & Uninterested Police

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Down here, the policy is to call the emergency number (our 999 equivalent) if you want the police to "attend".
Calling the local cop shop is just to follow up paperwork or report some non-urgent matter etc – a lost and found was my last visit there !
By calling the emergency number your call will be logged in a database and tracked and they should assign a priority to it (no way of telling what priority that may be), and it means that you can follow up more easily !

Presumable the presence of the fire tender suggests that someone did call 999 ? (Here we use "000" for Fire, Ambulance or Police) It may be interesting to know who called and when if you’re putting a case together.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
+1 Wayne, nail on the head.

As for the Dixon of Dock Green policing being a myth, erm, not in my village it wasnt, i can still remember the village bobby in fact two of them and even down town we have bobbys on the beat to this day, I can even go as far as saying my Dad can remember seeing Jack Warner (Dixon) around as well, as he used to visit his sisters who lived in the village on a fairly regular basis:cool:

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Good point Gary, Im seeing the woodyard owner and farmer later this morning, it's going to be up to them to take it further if they want to, the wood yard owner more than certainly will because it's arson

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Seems to be a wide spread problem, I live in the north East and the police have lost the community spirit. They drive around in cars and have no contact with people unless there has been a crime committed. I could go on forever about this..........................................................................................................................................................

Write to your MP and ask them to support 'EDM (early day motion) 1604'.
It, "calls for a Royal Commission on policing to establish precisely what is required by the British Police to ensure that it continues to deliver a service to the public that is fit for purpose." (The last Royal commission was back in 1964 IIRC).
http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-11/1604

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
I had a similar problem with herberts on my own wood (see here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72915). My experience of the police has been great though. I reported it, they came and looked, I had a second incident a couple of days later and they came out again. They are driving past on a regular basis and next weekend one of the officers is coming out to meet me again and walk around the wood. This is up in the North East (Loftus/Easington). Also some locals are keeping an eye out too - someone who works for the Police (as a civilian) and a Game Keeper. Went there this weekend and no more further incidents - Unfortunately, I have had to put up "Private Land No Access" signs.

I'd get that letter in the mail to your local inspector Mark, at least maybe in the future the stupid woman in charge of taking the "non emergency" calls might be more inclined to pass it on to someone to make a more informed decision.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'd get that letter in the mail to your local inspector Mark, at least maybe in the future the stupid woman in charge of taking the "non emergency" calls might be more inclined to pass it on to someone to make a more informed decision.

Tis already done, sent it off this morning:D:D:D:D:D

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Don't get me strted on the police! Back home my friends had a gig in a church hall, when we refused a bunch of drunk chavs admittance so they could "sort out dave" they started trouble, assaulted me, smashed a window and broke down the door - TO A CHURCH HALL!!! police Were called whilst they were actuvly kicking the Door in, took them 30 mins to attend even though I could have walked to the station and back twice in that time. They knew all culprits on 1st name terms, gave them a tut tut, didn't take any statements and kindly suggested we tape the latch back in the Door they kicked down.
To add insult to injury I recieved a formal caution from
same officers on another occasion for urinating in an alley.
It's rediculous I get my record tarnished and have to declare this emabarasing mistake in my youth and these violent yobs get there records scrubbed when they reach 16!!!
Saying that the only police I've met down in London have been decent.
Hope the yard wasn't too badly damaged. I agree that you should complain, but it's probably better if signed by several people (yourself, neighbours, yard owner etc) and copy your MP in.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Few photo's of the damage in the copse, makes my blood boil, ive copied these and a lot more to CD for the farmer, so he has photo evidence of the damage caused to his property, unfortunately, it's not my land, so all i can do is keep an eye on things and help out where i can.

DSCF2090.jpg

DSCF2097.jpg

DSCF2099.jpg

DSCF2095.jpg

Im going back up there later in the week with a saw to clean all the trees up where they ripped branches off and in some cases snapped saplings in half, at least that way they might stand half a chance of some sort of recovery over time.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
junior bushcrafters get everywhere nowadays dont they, all these adults leading them astray. I blame rampant immigration and claim my free Daily Mail subscription.

the more you ring the more they have to log it in as an incident which can then be reported to your local councillor bod, you can ring for everything however small and they have to log it. ideally take some pics if your sneaky beaky skills are up to it and send to the local papers to embarrass the plod into responding.

the main problem is they pull the country and road officers back into the cities at night but even then you might be lucky to have 2 actual coppers on duty for a large town.

if they persist in lighting fires in the same spot then bury a gas can under the fire circle as they vent before they explode which I guarantee will sh$t anyone up.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its annoying to us that woods are treated this way but lets be honest, in the scheme of things its nothing. The police are thin on the ground these days, Aberdare some nights has two PC's and a Special, thats it! and not much more in the day sometimes. A few weeks ago a mate of my lad who's a special was on duty with a PC on a Thurday day...that was the total police presence in town. Given current staffing levels I suppose your call was just not important :( Sad bloody sign of the times.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
Bloody hell Mark, thats a real shame! I must say though around me on the Lincolnshire/Rutland/Leicestershire borders the coppers are pretty good. I was working late one night and the dog was barking his nuts off over the road at the woodyard. I stuck my head out and realised someone was trying to get out the gates with a box van, so called the local police (not 999) and I'm not kidding you whilst I was still on the phone 3!!!! Yes 3 cars pulled up and caught them red handed! Later turned out it was a mate who had borrowed the van to move house (he wasn't best pleased as they didn't bel;ive him at the time). Never the less I was very impressed, especially as we are right in the sticks.

ATB

Adam

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
Just thought id throw this into the mix, officers responed to calls and complaints passed to them by empolyed call takers. They are not police officers.

but if you didn't get the response you expected make a complaint and insist on an answer.

regards

chinook220

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
The police have slowly been manipulated (deliberately, I might add) into an inefficient and fascist force of power for the past 15 years or so, then in 2005 when parliament enacted the revocation of police discretionary power they have turned in to a robotic abomination ontop of being a bunch of inefficient fascists. I personally know a detective constable who has served in Nottingham police for 25 years and agrees with my thoughts and always moans how he can't do the job he used to do... he says the force is completely different to what it was when he first joined and not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE