ammo box forge.....DONE!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it works from the gas pressure drawing air down the pipe, you would need a welder to do it the way i did though.....

1. get 2 pipes 1 small about 1 cm wide and 1 about 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide...... the small pipe only needs to be 5-6 inches long but would be better if it was longer....... the large pipe is about 2 foot long.........other things you need are a nut and bolt and a small piece of sheet steel (just enough to cover the large pipe top + a little bit....

2. brill a hole in the large pipe half way up big enough to fit the small pipe into it.......check for fitting...

3. take the small pipe and weld the end shut.......measure the length from the end so the mark will be in the middle of the large pipe (roughly)...... so 2 inch large pipe would be 1 inch from the end of the small pipe.(hope this makes sence)

4. on the mark that you made drill a 1mm hole into the small pipe (be really carefull they break, if needs be start it of by fileing flat and use a nail or small punch to start it DONT MAKE THE HOLE TO BIG or you will have to start again)

5. weld the small pipe into the big pipe.....weld your bolt onto the top of the big pipe with the thread sticking out (protect the thread from flux).........drill a hole in your piece of plate steel for the bolt (any flat metal will do).......place the sheet steel on the bolt then put the nut on....... the steel should be flush with the pipe......this will be the air inlet hole which can now be changed to suit how you want it to burn....

6. now all you need to do is cut a hole into your box / container and fit the burner unit, and for the metal to go into.......

7. line the burner case with refactory matting of your choice, this would depend on the size of your container, a 6kg gas bottle would work well it would also take 1/3 of the matting i used...

remember gas is exsplocive and dangerous, so use with caution, if unsure get another person to make the forge for you, you only live once, also use the correct personal protection etc.....

hope this makes sence, any probs give me a pm....

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Ammmaaaaazzzing :35: Fantastic day, brilliant bit of kit! learned loads as always when out with Chris, cheers so much for sharing mate, always so generous! A few more Lannymans and the world wouldn't be in the state its in now!! :notworthy:notworthy
Although I do have to say the highlight was Shaza's bacon butties ;) Tell her thanks for that and if she doesnt mind i'll bring the car over tomorrow for her to finnish washing :lmao:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
your welcome mate, shazza said you looked bored to tears though.........lol......

as long as you had a good day mate, looking forward to the next propper meet.......

as for the car.....hhhmmmmmmmmmm i think you know the answer to that.....lol....

thanks for coming over and hope to see you soon dude.......

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
slammer187, no i did not want to have to use any form of electric or pump, this means i can take the forge any place i like to use it and not have to worry about batteries or electric hook up......

its the pressure of the gas shooting out of the 1mm hole that causes a vacume drawing air in from the top, this can be ajusted by the sheet metal thats on the top.......

if i wanted i could add a hair dryer aswell and increase the temp of the forge by loads........

hope this helps.

chris...

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks gents, the ceramic matting was from the "evil bay" jamesc76, it was the only place i could find it at a good price......

mrcharly, thank you very much, need to keep going and find my own style of blade etc, going to try damascus next month when the steel gets here......

thanks.

chris....................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE