Car Boot hoard for my forging intentions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
As you may of seen on this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109184 I intend to try my hand at forging. Still not got an anvil but still looking, and going somewhere tomorrow to look at one.

Anyway I got up early this morning and went to a car boot to see what tools I could get, and came away with the following which should be of use.

DSCN3026.jpg

Record No2 vice £15. I wanted another vice anyway, but will have this mounted so I can take it outside when needed.
Ball Pein Hammer & Lump hammer with tapered ends ,both for £3. (shown with handles but will be replaced).
Six handles @£1 each.
Sledge hammer £2.50
Ballpein hammer head, large file & flat chisel £1 the lot.
Largest tin snips & small monkey wrench £1 for both.
Smaller tin snips, Tap wrench & 2 round chisels £4 the lot. Chisels have flutes so assume some kind of rock drilling things.

All for a total cost of £32.50. which I am happy with. It has been a few years since I have visited a car boot, but will definitely go again soon.

The lump hammer with the tapered ends I will probably modify to have a larger flat area on one side, and a cross peen or straight peen on the other.
The Monkey wrench & tap wrench I thought could be useful if I want to twist anything.
The 3 chisels I hope to forge in to other tools to use with the anvil, e.g. Punch.
The tin snips I hope to be able to flatten the blades and turn them in to tongs, if it doesn't work then nothing lost. I realise they are short but may be able to weld an extension to the handles. They also may be too weak.

The one thing I am kicking myself about is a small axe that I hesitated about. It had J & S Made in England on it, obviously old but in pristine condition (needed no work to it). The Head was not punched, the eye had been flattened then bent to shape and welded on one side. The head itself was quite thin so would not of been a great splitting axe but would of been a great carver.
The guy wanted £6 so I said I would think about it ? Went back about 2 mins later and there was someone giving him a fiver for it. He who hesitates and all that ! What an idiot !

Thanks for looking.
Eifion

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Yes of sorts ! But one way of screwing the vice up is to start bashing it with a hammer. It is only a hollow 'u' section that protects the screw for opening and closing the vice, and keep the jaws in line.
I know I only paid £15 for it but a new Record equivalent is over £100. And I want it as a vice.

the back of your vice is a anvil of sort mate

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Could you post a clearer picture of the 'chisels'.... I've been looking for a smaller Shaker (rock drill thingee) as they're a PITA to forge
Willing to swap tongs or other tools (I trained as a smith many years ago)

Go to PM if you like

BTW. Don't make your hammer faces too flat, they'll mark the work

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Some better pictures of the chisels for you Forgecorvus.
The large one is 22mm dia x 12" long made by J W Ward Sheffield, and the smaller is 19mm dia x 11" long made by Rawplug.
I would be happy to swap them both for a pair of tongs. I don't have any tongs yet so whatever you recon would be most useful.

Please send PM if still interested.
Thanks
Eifion

P.s. thanks for the tip on the hammer faces.

DSCN3030.jpgDSCN3031.jpgDSCN3032.jpgDSCN3033.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE