Ammo Box/Tent Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
After being inspired by the sheer number of ingenious little stoves around for tent central heating, in particular Addo's brilliant ammo-box or 'AT-AT' stove I've uploaded a couple of photos to show my half-finished attempt at a similar job.

The stove so far has cost me £3.50, the rest of the material has been scrounged from the weld-shop at work but all in all, I reckon you could probably make one from scratch and purchase all the materials for less than £40. Despite the relatively small cost of the parts, I've been at this for the best part of eight hours already, with probably two hours left to complete the flue and paint to a more uniform colour.

img0265pj.jpg

img0261ce.jpg

I'll attempt to talk you through the construction process to the point you see here, but as per usual I was in such an enthusiastic state to get on with things I totally forgot to take photos as I went along.:eek:

Initially I cut and prepared the top plate from 6mm mild steel to fit the bottom of the ammo box (due to be the top of the stove), beveling the edges on the underside to allow for a bit of a filler-weld before welding and grinding back to a flat surface. This stage was followed by welding four bolts to the bottom (one in each corner) to accept the 500mm lengths of threaded bar (which are still not perfectly straight:( )
The door aperture was cut using an angle grinder before a door was fabricated from 6mm steel with a standard door hinge welded on and a thin 16mm x 3mm?? bar added by means of a bolt through a hole in the centre of the door. The door was retained by a catch roughly shaped from 4mm steel which was also welded to the left hand side of the stove, whilst the hinge was welded on the opposite side so that everything fitted smoothly together and worked freely.

The boss for the flue was made from a 50mm diameter x 50mm long piece of pipe, ground along the side and pinched to allow the 50mm internal diameter elbow to fit over. The boss was then welded on to the stove, which leads us to it's current state.

At this juncture, I've drilled a few 10mm holes together underneath the door to increase the draw when closed. I'm going to eventually cut this out fully and add a mesh or gauze and make the whole thing a little neater.

So far, I'm already wishing I'd done several things differently;
1) Used slightly lighter (thinner) steel for the top plate.
2) I'd use 12mm black rolled bar with a thread cut at one end of each length for the legs rather than threaded bar.
3) A flue constructed from steel with a threaded send and a female boss would've made a neater flue and an airtight seal.

Any suggestions would be most welcome for improvements :cool:

Last edited:

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello mate, i like what you've done there, is that a 50 cal box? I too make portable log burners from gas bottles though , i need to become a full member to post photos( after xmas) instead of full threaded bar I use 12" bolts m12 for the legs, they work really well , they cost £ 1.10 each and as they are galvenised they look good too. B&Q sell black stove paint at £8.00 per can 1 is enough, what do you plan to make the flue pipe from, mine are 14" sections 57mm od that are flared one end so they fit one inside the other. hope you post photos of your fineshed product soon

regards

nenook

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Hey Nenook!

Thanks for the positive comments! The tip for the 12" bolts is brilliant as I'm pretty much feeling my way with this one and tips like that make me wonder why I never thought of that. I did think about welding four pieces of 12mm ID tube up the sides with 12mm OD tube fitted within, similar to the principle of fisherman's seat box setups, but this requires more welding and adds more weight to the box already.

The box is actually a smoke grenade box, purchased from Anchor Supplies in Ripley. It's worth a look if you're ever up and over my way, and I see from your location that you're only over the hills in Stafford.
The flue is just 50mm exhaust pipe pinched from the lorry fitters in the yard at work (sneaky sneaky).

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
Hey up I know anchor surplus , the bolts thing is worth a go as they are then transported inside when travelling, I l take you up on your offer as Il be mooching around over christmas, likewise if your over this way. Im planning a weekend meet up at my works , we have 10 hecteres of land with woods a river etc, people cad bivvy, tent camp, hammock it up whatever they want, we have toilets showers etc and loads of parking, would you be intereted? I think offer it out to maybe 20-30 people plus partners if they want to come.
regards

nenook

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
thanks I thought I did Il take some next time I make one and post it , as ive sold all the one's ive made up to now

regards

Nenook

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work dude, looks the business.

Have you a tent in mind for using it in yet? they kick out plenty of heat for the size.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers fella!:)
It's going in a polish poncho-tent, but strictly for use in wintry conditions with a Dutch wool blanket. I don't think I could trust myself with my synthetic sleeping bag, and as per your review last year, I think it's prudent to use it sparingly on account of the intense heat it gives off!

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hey Nenook!

Thanks for the positive comments! The tip for the 12" bolts is brilliant as I'm pretty much feeling my way with this one and tips like that make me wonder why I never thought of that. I did think about welding four pieces of 12mm ID tube up the sides with 12mm OD tube fitted within, similar to the principle of fisherman's seat box setups, but this requires more welding and adds more weight to the box already.

The box is actually a smoke grenade box, purchased from Anchor Supplies in Ripley. It's worth a look if you're ever up and over my way, and I see from your location that you're only over the hills in Stafford.
The flue is just 50mm exhaust pipe pinched from the lorry fitters in the yard at work (sneaky sneaky).

Its a H83 ammo box, it holds a number of different types of ammo and explosive stuff. You can try and get these at car boot sales

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE