hurricane lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hi was after some retro camping lighting and was looking at the cheap hurricane lanterns anyone got any experience with them do they throw out enough light to read by or should i look at something bigger?

also has anyone ever tried running one off meths? or do they need a parafin in an ideal world i would like a light source that runs off meths but dont recall one ?

so come on show us your lanterns and before anyone dives at the chance i dont wont candles in milk cartons :-D

i like and use the UCO candle lanterns but i want something with a bit more umph

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
They are brilliant, simple lanterns. The light output isn't massive, but with some crafty pie dish or tin foil action you can reflect a lot back at you.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I like them for atmosphere and have two, they are ok for reading close but not bright. DO NOT USE METHS. Kaboom.

Picked another up at the garden centre at the weekend for £6.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Yep. got 3 on board for emergency lighting if required (battery failure)..:rolleyes:

Living as they do in a salt air environment I found the best way with the cheap hurricane lamps is when they're brand new unused, take the glass and burner assembly out, stuff the holes with tissue and spray them with Hammerite.

That keeps them happy and they become long-life non rusty lamps..:lmao:
If necessary one makes a reading lamp with a shaving mirror rigged behind it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good little lamps, frugal on fuel too. Paraffin ONLY.

I've got or had expensive Dietz and feuerhand lanterns, English Chalwyn and £1 specials from poundland and in terms of output they are all the same. I've a couple hanging outdoors exposed to all the weather, been there years and still work but could do with another coat of plastti-kote to get another decade out of them.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got a couple of the Feuerhand ones from ebay last year. They cast a nice light over the camp and are a bit easier on the eye than the full on LED equivalents.
I've had a couple of the Blackspur ones too but they're pretty nasty quality in comparison.
Nice to pack for canoe and car camping but I wouldn't want to carry one on a trek.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i might get a couple then they are for car camping with family as tabletop lights

on my own i use a headlight / uco candle lantern

just wanted some nice lanterns for ambience and a spot of reading when the little ones in bed and im star gazing

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i might get a couple then they are for car camping with family as tabletop lights

on my own i use a headlight / uco candle lantern

just wanted some nice lanterns for ambience and a spot of reading when the little ones in bed and im star gazing

Yeah they'd be perfect for that spiritwalker

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
When I need big light I pull out the Coleman ( field dressing, cooking in the tent in winter etc,...) but for a nice gentle light around the fire, worth the few bucks!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'd advocate paying a bit more and getting a good one. Although the light is the same, the Dietz and Feuerhand models don't leak so easily and can even survive being knocked over. The cheap ones have to be kept carefully upright and emptied for transportation

They throw a great atmospheric light when you don't want the roar and dazzle of a pressure lantern. I used one all the time on my Cale Canal trip last year. I discovered they fit perfectly in those old BDH screw-top containers that many 80s kayakers have lying around and can thereby be transported full without making a smelly mess.

NS

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
The Blackspur jobs are made from some thin sheet monkey metal and far from the quality of older models, but they work just as well. Keep an eye out at car boot sales, they turn up in their hundreds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE