Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
LITTLE ABINGTON BUSHCRAFT MOOT
PROPOSED DATE: Sat 27th-Sun 28th MARCH 2010

BUSHCRAFTER MEET LIST:
Dates Submitted:
  • Badgeringtim --- Sat-Overnight-Sun (Tent) :cool:
  • Claws6 --- Visit Sat :D
  • Crowe --- Sat-Overnight-Sun (Hammock/Tarp) :cool:
  • Eel28 --- Sat-Overnight-Sun (Tent) :cool:
  • Whittler Kev --- Visit Sat-Visit Sun :D
  • Rickyamos --- Sat-Overnight-Sun (Hammock/Tarp) :cool:
  • WolfCrafter --- Sat-Overnight-Sun (Hammock/Tarp) :cool:

Possibly Interested:
  • Chinook220 :rolleyes:
  • Craeg :rolleyes:
  • GearGuru :rolleyes:
  • invisible :rolleyes:
  • Leigh Robinson :rolleyes:
  • MikeS :rolleyes:
  • sam_acw :rolleyes:
  • Wallenstein :rolleyes:
  • weekender :rolleyes:

Cannot Make It This Time:
  • man_of_tanith :(
  • shep :(

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hi guys, Tims Internet might be down for a week, and my main lap top has a fatal error!! So this is from my iPhone!.. Blooming technology aye!!

To Kev, drippy cord is a good idea for the hammocks, as sugested by many places, but UK rain being as it is, it finds a way past! Even though it's there, you still have the fabric of the hammock webbing for it to soak along, so as rickyamos has done, biners are the best way forward, or an 'O' ring! (depending on you webbing setup) (No rain, even UK rain, ant gona get past that metal bugger!)

Rickyamos, as with all things Bushy, there are so many ways of doing things, I'll show you my webbing, hammock side of the biners, Its not perfect, there are superior mods, but it easily allows for conversion to the bivi again, and I am confident it will take the strain of my weight! (not that Im fat.. Just big boned.. And Carry hibernation storage just in case!) (would post a pic but on phone at mo, maybe later!) it's not the best mod I've come across, but as I'd already started the mod, I thought I'd finish it! A mod on a mod for another time!!
Get a 12"-18" piece of webbing, stitch two small loops at each end by folding over, (just large enough to pass through eachother!)..rather than one big loop!.. After you've fed one loop end through the hammock, pass one loop through the other, pull tight and attach biner to free loop! This way you can undo the structure for bivi setup, rather than creating a single stiched loop that is permanently attached to the hammock end!.. (hope it makes sence!.. As i squint on my iPhone)
Hope this helps.
WolfCrafter.
Hi WolfCrafter

Sounds like a good Mod. with the straps and the rings. One thing I would say is that, I would be very causious about using the setup as a bivvi as I would be very worried about the hammock being punched or ripped from objects on the ground. Still an option though.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
joining instructions!

Right Folks
Can those coming please PM me with an email addy and i will send out the joining packs to you.

My appologies for them being later than i had hoped, but please remember we do need these back to confirm attendance and to be able to let you onto the site.

Several bits to read about the site, location etc and the 'rules' and one decleration form to be sent back to me with some details filled in.

:)

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Great to hear this is all going ahead, thanks for the form Tim.

Has anyone had any luck with a fire bow drill, and if so, any chance you could bring it along so I can have a try?

What sort of time is everyone planning on arriving?

Looking forward to it now

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I second the bow drill idea - would love to try that!
Will be there from around 10:00 maybe slightly earlier wether dependent.

Will send out more joining forms later today.

Oh and our area does have a fire pit so no need for secondary cooking sources unles you really want them
:)

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
10 o'clock-ish sounds like a good time to me, so will also be there around then.

Would love to at least watch a bow drill working, and if i get a chance to use one then that would be fun too :)

I should be there around lunch time. That reminds me, what grub will you be taking? Just thinking about what to take along!:spam:

Arr, spam, do they still sell the kids 'smiley face' ones, with eggs for eyes! (or was that lunchon meat?) I Used to love that in my school pack lunch!!

I've never stuck to one thing personally, even though it's on a camp site (not far to walk!) I still like to try and stick to items I might take on a long lost treck in the wilds! Ie lightweight but full of energy stuffs!

Rice is a good lightweight food stuff, easily cooked, and with a sprinkling of various spices can be very versatile! Those big German peppered meat saussages (can't remember exact name, there's so many to choose from, you know, the ones like a bear sized pepperarmi, availible on any deli counter!!) They add vercitility too, as a snack or meal!.. full of protein, can be sliced and eaten cold for a munchy snack, fried and diced, then added to rice to buff up, or cooked on a stick over an open fire! Heavenly taste!

At the last Rough Close meet I took a whole trout to cook on the open fire (ok, it was brought at Sainsburys, and transported in my car in a electric cooler box, but I wanted to get into the fresh out doors grove as much as I could.. Anyway.. They had no fishing lake, and even if they did, I probably wouldnt have caught a thing and gone hungry!) .. Added some spices with lemon slices.. The best fish I've ever had!

look at it this way, do what you feel you might be into, you may want to practice survivalism, minimal weight, maximum sell by date!

You might want to try an out doors angle, ie cooking on an open fire with raw ingredences, meets, vegatables, spices!

You might want to just eat what your not allowed to eat at home! Now maybe not a Chinese take-a-way, but what about kebabs on a stick over an open fire! Meat or veg! Yum!

On a personal note, I've tried all the survival meal packs you can get, but I find them pricey for what you get! They have there place, and are convenient buys, with a good eat by date, but after all, they are only food, just in a sealed foil bag! For £4-5, you could make a whole pot of stew, and get about 10 containers worth for that amount!

Harking on about Rough Close meet again (to spark some ideas!).. Twodogs had a large Dutch oven pot and cooked up a communial chilli-con-carni for all to share!.. (I think they split some costs involved though!)

I think you've started a topic to ponder here!.. So let's all have some 'Feed back' guys..

..Get it? .. 'Feed' back?!! :eek:

On a personal note, I'll be clicking away with my camera for stills and HD video here and there to put on my blog and YouTube! To let others see what we get up to, so if you don't like the camera pointed at you for these purposes, just have a quiet word in my ear at some point, and I'll delete the footage your uncomfortable with!.. Cheers Guys! (don't worry about makeup and brushed hairlines though.. Were suposed to be 'Rustic' ya know!

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hi All

badgeringtim did you get the form back that I emailed you with a scanned image of my driving licence? Just wanted to know you got it okay.

Cheers

Rick

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Rick,
Received thank you, only have a few to date though.. hint hint..to anyone else interesting in coming ;-)

Food wise i would imagine cous cous to be very easy as you only need to make the water boil then pour it on, already have a mix of herbs dates and meat (jerky maybe)? in there. everything a growing bushy needs!

Im planning on having a bit of 'Vildspekpolse' roughly; wild meat sausage, which is like the continental cured sos but not spicy and really rather good!

Im thinking along the lines of a stew - or soup or both, easy to sling together and can just bubble away so long as i dont burn it to the base (only got thin pan set).

Ive seen the banock being made which sounds interesting but never tried, flatbreads should be easy, ive heard of the dough being wrapped around a stick and cooked holding over he fire, that and a meaty kebab and what more could you want..? and no washing up!
Actually it will be interesting to see what people bring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE