What do you eat for breakfast?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anvik

Dec 4, 2016
denmark
When you are in the forest or wherever you bivvy out, what do you eat for breakfast? I find this a pain of a meal to plan when I am out, main meals are easy, but breakfast seems so uninspiring. Ideas please.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The usual fruit and nut muesli I have at home, just add hot water rather than milk, sets you up nicely. Sometimes the instant porridge, again with hot water, sometimes bag it up at home and add dried milk powder, dried fruit and nuts and a bit of sugar if feeling extravagant ! :)

Usually too hungry in the morning to wait for a fire and cooking bacon, sausages, mushrooms, black pudding, onions etc, so tend to do that at lunchtime instead if not moving around during the day much.

Strong black coffee a must regardless :)

anvik

Dec 4, 2016
denmark
You see this is where the problem lies for me, porridge and cereals is so dull to me, and bacon and all that is a bit of a hassle. What a quandry/first world problem

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Home Bargins sell large chocolate coated oat flapjacks, these can be eaten as is or sometimes i add them to hot water and a bit of milk powder to make sweet porridge. Bacon grill is great too, along with a small tin of beans. Pitta breads with the small packs of jam you can get is a good option for a light meal.

All washed down with tea or coffee, with condensed milk in it.

Tonyuk

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Boil enough water for porridge, coffee and a cup extra with an egg in the pot. Add water to the porridge and Nido milk mix, make a brew and scoff the hard boiled egg and porridge. Use the remaining and now warm water to wash up - Job jobbed. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Easier to think after one cup of coffee, work on the second.
I'm always after some sort of bready thing, toasted. So puff up the fire is next.
Strawberry or raspberry jam always tastes better outdoors.
Use the toasted bready thing for a plate if I do bacon/eggs

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've gone a wide range of menus to be honest:
-Instant oatmeal or grits if I want to keep it quick and simple.
-Full bacon (or sausage, or fried spam, etc) and eggs with toast breakfast
-Fried catfish if the trot lines were good
-MREs on occassion

Skipping breakfast just isn't an option, especially when I'm out in the woods.

You can actually cheat and do scrambled eggs quite easily and cleanly. Just crack them into a ziploc bag, seal it, knead the bag to scramble the eggs, and drop it in boiling water until done.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
My favorite meal for eating in the woods at morning is Musli
You can find many sorts of them in almost any shop , I prefer tropical fruits with honey , thats the best from all of them :)
Easy to prepare and very tasty

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't be bothered cooking breakfast usually, but I'm happy with oatcakes and marmite, or honey, spread on them, with a mug of tea :D Some dried fruit, mango is brilliant, and I'm pretty full until lunchtime :D

I bought some brilliant wee refillable tubes not long since, and they're excellent to fill with marmite, honey, jam, etc.,
They don't hold a lot, but they do hold enough, and they're tidy to pack away or just stow in a pocket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291816999...49&var=590825524067&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

M

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
After a bit of experimenting, I managed to perfect freezer bag porridge.
Really nice way to start the day. And with planning, no hassle at all.

Probably teaching grandmothers about egg sucking here, but for anyone interested.....
A pre-measured bag of normal (not instant) rolled oats, powdered milk, sugar, raisins etc. Gauged to match the size of my mug.
One measure of meths in the beer can burner and boil some water. Chuck it into the bag and into the pot cosy. A damn good shake up (otherwise you get hard lumps) and leave it for 20mins. The off extra shake for luck.
If your cosy is good, you get perfect porridge that is still too hot to eat. Unwrap and eat out of the bag in the cosy.

I usually double bag the mix. Tie sandwich bags are not that sturdy and the Tesco ones I use have print on the side, which melts and glues the bag to the cosy. So double bagging, with the outer one inside out, helps. With care, you only have one of the bags mucky. So not much to burn off/bring home.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
There is something about the smell of bacon cooking while the first brew is drunk, then served on a buttered bun with brown sauce. It is not, of course, necessary, but it is delicious. Food cooked outdoors.......

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Either muesli hot water with milk powder Or beans and bacon or sausages and always with a crusader mug of tea or hot chocolate

Kiwi Tim

Oct 24, 2014
Taranaki
Can't beat bacon, cheese, tomatoe sauce , between 2 slabs of home made bread toast.
Really good marching tucker. Keeps you going all day. Really good to stave off hypothermia to have plenty of fuel in the motor ahead of a big tramp in cold wet bush.
Every thing cooked on the one frying pan including the toast!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@Gonzo - pretty much how I do it, but with quite a lot of etc. more dried fruit (apricots chopped and cranberries) plus some spices (cinnamon, ginger and a tiny pinch of cloves) plus a protein boost with whey powder. Boil extra water and make coffee to drink while the oats are in the cosy. also some ground/sliced nuts. I suppose it is a sort of hot meusli, but it is tasty and sets one up for a days hiking. Plus, all the prep work is done at home before you set out. I do think, that even on a summer's morning, a hot meal is more satisfying. In the same way, a freezer bag, home made,dehydrated meal in the evening is more satisfying than a couple of Cliff's bars and a piece of jerky. Again, all the prep done at home during the off season when you are overhauling your gear and prepping for next season. Sometimes I do Ramen noodles with a shot of peanut butter and hot sauce for variety

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There is something about the smell of bacon cooking while the first brew is drunk, then served on a buttered bun with brown sauce. It is not, of course, necessary, but it is delicious. Food cooked outdoors.......

Yep, that's my kind of brekkie. But I cook on a gas stove, it makes life much easier to get the kettle off the heat and into the Aeropress while the bacon is starting to sizzle.

I have been known to eat pain au chocolat x 2 with strong black coffee. Can't be doing with muesli or porridge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE