What do you eat for breakfast?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bacon Grill wraps or Bacon Grill on Biscuits Brown are a staple
4 egg Scramlet - a cross between Scrambled Eggs and an Omelette with a mini bottle of Tabasco - is good
Super Fry-up - Bacon, Egg, Black Pudding etc, with Bannock is fine
but the champion will always be
Fried Tinned Haggis Wraps!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
All the wrong things and plenty of them! Nothing like the smell of seared pork & bacon wafting on an early morning breeze. Of course it helps if you have something level and above ground to cook on.
d07dabc9-9a7f-4892-a2bd-f273075f379c_zps7rgax6rg.jpg

Cheers

K

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Bacon Grill wraps or Bacon Grill on Biscuits Brown are a staple
4 egg Scramlet - a cross between Scrambled Eggs and an Omelette with a mini bottle of Tabasco - is good
Super Fry-up - Bacon, Egg, Black Pudding etc, with Bannock is fine
but the champion will always be
Fried Tinned Haggis Wraps!

now we are talking bacon grill and biscuits brown But please tell where you can still get biscuits brown from:rolleyes:v

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
for me its espresso coffee with either chewy poridge (soon as it boils it's ready) with powdered milk sugar & salt or ziplock scramelt egg & spambacon n beans or home made meusli bar or boiled eggs mashed up in a cup
Anybody else who doesn't know is probably too polite to ask but what is or are "biscuits brown"
Mr Fenna?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
for me its espresso coffee with either chewy poridge (soon as it boils it's ready) with powdered milk sugar & salt or ziplock scramelt egg & spambacon n beans or home made meusli bar or boiled eggs mashed up in a cup
Anybody else who doesn't know is probably too polite to ask but what is or are "biscuits brown"
Mr Fenna?

An old staple of MOD ration packs - basically a plain, very hard biscuit ... that was brown as opposed to "fruit"...

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
An old staple of MOD ration packs - basically a plain, very hard biscuit ... that was brown as opposed to "fruit"...

cheers Mr Fenna I shall sleep better tonight for knowing that, do you ever think about buying some random bit of small kit, but because you have so much kit, later you look for said bit of kit thinking it to be missplaced but in reality you never actualy got around to buying it in the first place? I am like that now I have got a bambo KFS set which is fab. for some time I mulled over buying the same but in green plastic, now I'm thinking I'm looking for something I don't actualy have. Anybody else got so much kit they get swamped with kit in this way? is there a name for it or is it just me?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
For me biscuits brown are a memory food eating them brings back good memories and good camping days of my youth as well. Weren't always to everyone taste but I did enjoy them on there own with cheese or as a thickener for stews.

Thanks John checked website out and sent an email to enquire which ones have them

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
cheers Mr Fenna I shall sleep better tonight for knowing that, do you ever think about buying some random bit of small kit, but because you have so much kit, later you look for said bit of kit thinking it to be missplaced but in reality you never actualy got around to buying it in the first place? I am like that now I have got a bambo KFS set which is fab. for some time I mulled over buying the same but in green plastic, now I'm thinking I'm looking for something I don't actualy have. Anybody else got so much kit they get swamped with kit in this way? is there a name for it or is it just me?

I rarely buy kit - I make it or get it for review for my magazine column (not always what I would choose to buy!) get given it etc but sometimes buy replacements for review kit that I either want more of or to replace it when it wears out :)
I am frantically organised (the old joke "I do not have OCD - I have CDO ... similar - but all the letters have to be in alphabetical order..." is hauntingly familiar)
And
I flog on so much kit that I find that I am not using (made, bought, given, swiped etc) that if I do not find a bit of kit I was looking for , well, I just assume that it either went back after reviewing, got sold or was not replaced after it wore out...
I have been in the outdoor game for so long that I have worn out more kit than I can remember :)
It could just be you of course :)
Old favourites (like Biscuits Brown) are sometimes difficult to replace even when massive personal stocks are originally stockpiled!

Last edited:

acheter

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2016
Poland
www.pishop.de
Breakfast is always my problem as I find most trad breakfast foods problematic - bread & milk, however instant porridge (not sure what the diff is to US oatmeal) with lactose free milk, that you do in the microwave (and therefore could do at work if one is there and colleagues don't mind the smell) is possible. Gather oats on an empty stomach can be beneficial for the system, so have been doing this workdays since new year and so far so good!

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wasa Sourdough crackerbreads, maybe 3 slices, with whatever is in the fridge. Cheese, or ham or butter.
Never a combination though.

When out in Nature, a couple of cups of coffee.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hot fruit granola with either honey or milk powder.
Cubed bacon grill and cubed chorizo fried together, throw a couple of eggs in and mix together. Drop it all in a warm pitta with brown sauce. Add mushrooms if you have them.
All can be prepared at home and easily cooked in a crusader mug.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
For me biscuits brown are a memory food eating them brings back good memories and good camping days of my youth as well. Weren't always to everyone taste but I did enjoy them on there own with cheese or as a thickener for stews.

Thanks John checked website out and sent an email to enquire which ones have them

Great way to stop the runs or to stop you going in a NBC environment, but I love them.:eek:

Joey

Mar 9, 2017
UK
When you are in the forest or wherever you bivvy out, what do you eat for breakfast? I find this a pain of a meal to plan when I am out, main meals are easy, but breakfast seems so uninspiring. Ideas please.

My favourite at the moment is smoked salmon, avocado and scrambled egg in a tortilla wrap. Bit posh but so yum! But if you want something more lightweight then of course you can't beat good old porridge. Try this Peshwari Porridge recipe - makes it way more yummy than plain porridge, and the fat and protein in it will help sustain you for longer too.
HTML:
https://coolofthewild.com/camping/healthy-backpacking-recipes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE