Zip up combat style boots recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
As above, I'm looking for a pointer to decent zip up combat style boots

Any recommendations gratefully receives along with links as I'm lazy.

Many thanks

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have a look at the Bates range. I’m very nearly about to buy some of these in tan because I’m not a fan of black.

More of their side zippers here, my black GX8 are nearly 10yrs old now. Only done winter dog walking in them each year, but even so they’ve been impressive, light, and waterproof.

Search for Side Zip and you’ll find a good selection.

Reactions: Robbi

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Evening Rich, how do these boots come up size wise.? I prefer a wider fitting shoe

Robbi
Hard to say Robbi, my feet are narrow to the point I use Orthaheel insoles. There’s a bit of the site called Extended Sizing, listing wide fit. I’d link but I’m running an iPhone as a 4G hotspot and it’s hard to get stuff to load.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A few years ago, when in the market for new boots, I tried some of these zip-up boots on.
Dreadful, absolutely dreadful.
I can't remember which brands I tried, so can't talk about the brand specifically mentioned above, but I did try a few different brands.
They were ALL very narrow fitting.
Admittedly, I have wide feet, but even so.
I had to go two (in one case FOUR!!!) sizes up to find one that fit. Like I say, I have wide feet but they're not that wide (usually go 1/2 or 1 size up). So I'd say they are narrow fitting, full stop. Again, this was across all brands I tried.
It was more than enough to make me discount ever buying zip up boots.
I would very strongly urge you to try before you buy. VERY strongly. And if you can't then avoid like the plague. Ultimately, it's your money, but...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ha :). Thanks matey, lots to look at in the morning, I was beginning to think I was the only one who wanted zip up boots. :)
To be honest, I bought laced Bates boots. The side zip appeals for ease of use, but laces are better. It looks like the Bates have both on their boots, but how functional the laces are I don’t know.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

Anyone got opinions on these boots.? Sizing looks a bit weird

Well, despite the weird sizing ( according to the size chart I'm a size 7.!! I normally take a size 9.!! )
Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
We call them Müll-Tec.
Try them and you will understand why.

Müll translates to garbage, by the way.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I mean... at least he was honest in his opinion...
You can still give them a go and you might be alright and pleasantly surprised, but it's good to not have elevated expectations and then be woefully disappointed only to have someone say their point after the fact.

I'd like some side zip boots though, so interesting to read the thread.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do not like side zip boots as I have always found that the fit is not so good as laced only boots - but I know that others love em ....
As to Mil - tec - I have and use various bits of Mil-tec kit, shirts, hats and some boots - and find them all very reasonable value for money .... but then none of it costs a lot compared to the top military style boots on the market :)

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I too have used mil-tec with no problems in the past, you know what you're going to get.
I have some Cat steely toes zip up boots and they are fantastic just a bit too clumpy for what I want.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There used to be sort of zip converters you could lace into position.
One of my mates used em when he was in a situation where he needed to don boots fast in the army.
Dunno how good they were cos I never used em.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
They broke easy as well lasted a short time once in field conditions wet and mud. Bought a pair of zips from survival aids. Yep that long ago

Reactions: ESpy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
They broke easy as well lasted a short time once in field conditions wet and mud. Bought a pair of zips from survival aids. Yep that long ago
Aye, must admit they looked like absolute tat to me.
Mind, I've not had a problem with normal speedlacing systems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE