Greeting from Vilnius, Lithuania!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cordage

Dec 28, 2023
Vilnius
Howdy all,

I'm a Canadian now living in Vilnius, Lithuania, teaching English and running a small, Jungian, psychotherapy practice. In my former life, I was in the Canadian infantry, and did a proper battlegroup tour in Afghanistan back in 2009, with R22R.

Under the same name, I'm on the BushcraftUSA forums, but I decided I wanted to have some more European conversation, and especially when looking for products, European shops to buy from.

Presently, I'm looking for some recommendations for long-distance, wet-cold, marching boots for the winter--I planned a 5 day trek recently, but had to cut it short after 3 days because my old NEO overshoes failed.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Spectemur agendo,

=-C-=

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello and welcome to the forum.:beerchug:

If you want the best chance of info on boots, might I suggest creating a dedicated thread here:
You might get some advice here, but no one seeing the title in the Introductions area will know you are looking for boot info.

If money is no object :rolleyes3:, I can recommend this brand, Lundhags. I have a pair of their Synchro boots and have been happy with comfort, support, waterproofness, weight and so on. My only problem with them is that I don't get out in rough or wet enough conditions to make them worth while most of the time! There are threads here with posts from folk who have used them harder in worse places and they are generally positive. They are definitely designed for wet cold. Have a search and read :)

All the best

Chris

Last edited:

Cordage

Dec 28, 2023
Vilnius
If money is no object :rolleyes3:, I can recommend this brand, Lundhags.

Wow! These are incredible! Although in theory, they also make me think that the Swedish M59 boot with a replaceable insole and a few pairs of wool socks could also do the trick, for a 10th of the cost?

Amazing response to my first post, on we go!

=-C-=

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Welcome! To Goretex or not to Goretex, that is the question. It’s a double edged sword that’s for sure when it’s really lashing it down.

I’m a Meindl fan, but if you want something with a more military feel then check out Altberg. There are lots of other great boot makers out there - Lowa, Lundhags, Haix, Scarpa to name a few.

For me the game changer was switching to wearing only thin merino wool socks and rotating through them a few times a day so you can get a dry pair on when you stop for a break. But as an infantryman I’m sure you’re all over your admin anyway.

All the best,
Andy

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Welcome!

I think that the closest military surplus shops from you are located in Poland an Finland.

Unsure if it will really matter regarding the prices if compared to often cheaper German shops.

Here you have a list of Italian, French, Austrian and German boot makers who offer boots that are sewn together and not glued as nowadays usual.

Last edited:

Cordage

Dec 28, 2023
Vilnius
Hello and welcome to the forum.:beerchug:

If you want the best chance of info on boots, might I suggest creating a dedicated thread here:
You might get some advice here, but no one seeing the title in the Introductions area will know you are looking for boot info.

If money is no object :rolleyes3:, I can recommend this brand, Lundhags. I have a pair of their Synchro boots and have been happy with comfort, support, waterproofness, weight and so on. My only problem with them is that I don't get out in rough or wet enough conditions to make them worth while most of the time! There are threads here with posts from folk who have used them harder in worse places and they are generally positive. They are definitely designed for wet cold. Have a search and read :)

All the best

Chris
So, join the forum, bought a pair of Lunhags on sale today :D Will report back once i've given then a proper walk through over a few weekends!

Cheers all,

=-C-=

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE