Yurt - so far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
outside4.jpg

Doing the roof this weekend, we added the blue waterproof plastic strip to the wall.
It tucks under the wall frame, and got 4 of the 6 strips of canvas sewn together for the roof. The other 2 bits are cut and should get attached this week.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
raining on and off, but we finally finished off the roof and central wheel "cap"

yurtjuly1.jpg

The roof has a series of grommets round the edge with a rope strung between them that draws the bottom of the roof in...

yurtjuly4.jpg

The roof cap (the 4 pointed star bit on the top) can be removed for ventilation and a bit of light. We kept it on today for the rain.

yurtjuly2.jpg

Inside looking up, the green is pretty restful inside....

yurtjuly3.jpg

From the door, we were hanging some midge nets for size and had rolled up the ground sheet. We'll have some garden camping, and I'd like to see how it does it heavy rain (not long to wait for that I guess) then we're off for a week in it later next month.

Its been a fun project (so far) I think, looking at the notes I made, it took, spread over the last 6 months or so, about 2 weeks of work. But its been the odd hour here and there in evenings, waiting for funds to buy the next bit of wood or canvas etc. Than:) ks for the comments and suggestions folk have made, its helped a great deal, and influenced some of the work as it went along...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I hope to get away without it in good weather, but the backup plan is some old wool army blankets between the lattice and the canvas. I'dalso wondered about those sheets of cheap wool stuff that removal vans use...

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I hope to get away without it in good weather, but the backup plan is some old wool army blankets between the lattice and the canvas. I'dalso wondered about those sheets of cheap wool stuff that removal vans use...

Very very nice John. On the subject of insulation, I've heard of some folks using carpet underfelt (the proper stuff) as it is treated as fire retardant and it comes on a big roll already.

A light dust sheet next the khana, then the underfelt, then the outer wall. That'll give you a white inner wall and no dust problems from the felt. Only if you're going winter camping mind you. You won't need it otherwise.

Eric

Bob_about

May 9, 2008
Warwickshire
That looks absolutely fantastic

Really excellent project, you must be incredibly proud of what you have achieved.

We spent a short holiday in a Yurt in October a few years ago, wonderfully warm with the wood burner on tick over all the time. Unfortunately it rained most of the time so we had to keep the door shut - the only thing we really wished our Yurt had was a window in the door so we could see out?

Best wishes with all your finishing touches..

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That's brilliant! Really coming together.

I know you likely have all sorts of work and refining ahead but there's something about just seeing the full shell for the first time.:D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Wow, how did I miss this. That is a fantastic project, one I would love to do if I had the space, I am always thumbing the yurt hand book and planning. Brilliant to see, well done!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thank you for the comments... Its been up in the back garden for the last couple of nights in the rain and appears to be watertight (so far) Theres bits of tweaking to do on the cover and possibly oil or something on the wood. Jane's working on bags/housewife style hanging bags for stuff the tie on the walls to keep the floor clear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE