Yurt - so far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Worked on the doors today, thin t&g pannelling

yurtdoor.jpg

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I have seen Yurts from red kite yurts at various events in the scottish borders and they do look cosy :D

Looking at the site they also do day workshops on how to build them.

Looking at the prices on the site I would be interested to know roughly how much it cost to build in terms of time and materials when it is finished.

Richard

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
It's smaller than it looks:eek: about 5' high..

I've seen the Red Kite Yurts at treefest in Edinburgh... great things, got us started with our plans...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Finally got more done.. finished trimming roof poles

Jak & Jane tied in some cord..

yurtroofpoles1.jpg

Pile of finished poles....

yurtroofpoles2.jpg

second coat on the door...

yurtdoor2.jpg

That should be the frame finished, waiting for some dry weather:lmao: here in Midlothian to start on the cover properly...

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
It's looking good nearly there;) .

I'm making one of these for the simple reason I can't sew.

>> http://nord.twu.net/acl/gerteepictures.html

But I'm scrounging the materials, the khana is made fron T&G boards with the T&G cut off then cut to size.
The roof poles I collected from the wood ,where they had been felling then finished them off with a drawknife.
I had the wood for the door frame laying around and the door is made from the T&G boards, but have to find the wood for the crown yet.
It's harder to scrounge large lumps of wood.

Have not bought "The Yurt Handbook" is it worth buying ?? or is the information on the website much the same as the book??

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
When I was making the crown, I made the template in quarters (the white bit of hardboard in this photo)
wheel1.jpg

and found a thick scaffolding board that it fitted inside, cut out the quarters X2 lots) and glued and screwed
them together.

wheel2.jpg

I like that site! I also made a miniyurt about the same scale 1":1' to get an idea of the relationships between the bits and pieces, found it very useful, esp now as we're working out the shapes of canvas to use for the cover.

I found the book very useful, especially some of the builds and expanded explainations but a fair bit is available on the website..

miniyurt.jpg

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
sunny weather in Edinburgh, briefly

trimming1.jpg

Joe trimming the ends of the roof poles

setting_up3.jpg

all the bits together

wheel_01.jpg

Looking up through the wheel...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That looks excellent! I'm loving each update, get a picture from up on high please, a bedroom window maybe, to give us an idea what it looks like as a whole. You've done really well so far and it's great to see you've got your kids involved too! Any idea how big it will be when packed up and are you making a felt surround for the walls?

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Looks really superb. Couple of questions. How much will it weigh when completed and how will you transport it? I always fancied a Tippi but couldn't imagine how I'd transport the poles!:eek:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'll get the scales out next time (I will need to know this for the trailer and the car) Today was fitting the bits together and taking some measurements for the canvas. It does break down into pieces that can be comfortably carried by one person, just not too far...

I think I'll use some old army blankets to insulate the walls, I'm getting a couple to see how they do.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've seen a couple of very nice gas bottle build stoves and saw Toddy's wood stove in the geodome at Loch Tay. So that may be the next project... I think initially I'll try a double burner for cooking that we use just now in the tent.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Nice work, awesome project, will be interesting to have an idea how long it will take to put up from scratch once you have it finished.
Bet the neighbours think the circus has come to town.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
yurtframe.jpg

with the good weather we got the frame out again this weekend for fittingthe wall canvas.

grommets.jpg

the tension band made a huge difference to the stability of the frame, I could (briefly) put all my weight on the wheel with no problem.

tensionband.jpg

It protected the wall canvas from the ends of the poles as well.

yurtwallcover-1.jpg

sewing +++ This is a domestic machine with upholstery thread (from a friend at church) and denim needles. It could stitch through 4 layers easily, and once through 6..

grommets2.jpg

More grommets

yurtwallcover2.jpg

In place, for a fitting, there is a plastic fabric skirt being sewn on to this to reduce wicking into the canvas from the ground, it'll be some blue stuff from a costco groundsheet.

yurttopview.jpg

and a look from above....

This week it'll be (weather permitting) sewing together the roof canvas, then fitting it to the frame...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE