Your favourite bushcrafters - past, present, real, mythical

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It has to be the author of a book i have just finished reading called 'Nahanni'. The book is autobiographical and the author is called Dick Turner, its tells the story of his life working the Nahanni River in the Yukon. the guy can canoe, build canoes, hunt and trap everything, build his own cabins from whole trees, fly a plane as well as the usual myriad of minor bushcrafty skills.

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
I vote for all of the above "real" men.

How about Jack Sillito, one of the SAS originals. He trecked across the desert, drinking his own urine.

As for fictional characters, I'll have to go with Aragorn. The greatest tracker, hunter and warrior of Middle Earth. Plus, he also new his herb lore.

What about the Japanese soldier who stayed in the Jungle for 30 years because he didn't know the war had finished.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
All the ones I would have said have been mentioned but Hiroo Onoda, the japanese soldier has to be top of the list, he used anything and everything around to make his life more comfortable. 30 years on your own is a long time, he made everything, from the bush or from salvaged materials, sandals from discarded tyres etc, he is a guy I would like to have round the fire for a beer.
Fictional is either the swallows and amazons or the lad from hatchet.
Mythical character, Promethius for stealing the secret of fire from the gods, think his sentence was a bit harsh though!

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
I did a course with Lofty Wiseman back in the late 80's and he really got me into the whole outdoor/bushcraft thing, amazing bloke and tells a good story!
But Grey Owl (Archie Belaney) does it for me, if you get a chance to read his books - take it, now there was a man ahead of his time.

Bonzo

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
Baden Powell, the scouts started me on this, I had never heard of Ray Mears till I hoped on to this site.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
My favorite one is Dick Proenneke !

Great, now that we compiled a good list of prefered bushcrafters, how about we start a poll ?

*ready to dodge rocks* :D

Cheers !

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Favorites eh?

Real? I have a couple of mates who instruct it in the lake district so as I know them and they are really nice people I would go with them.
They know who they are so I won't embarass them by mentioning their names.

Fiction? Without any shadow of a doubt it has to be Sam Gribley.

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
Favourite real bushcrafter is Grey Owl (Archie Belaney) and Cristina Dodwell and favourite pretend bushcrafter has to be Grizzly Adams!

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
British Red said:
The narrator in the book "Rogue Male" by Geoffrey Household - real "Boys Own" stuff - lives between two hedges and finally kills his would-be assasin with a cat gut bowstring!
Me too! I really like Rogue Male, damn good book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE