Your favourite bushcrafters - past, present, real, mythical

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Has to be Tintin. :)

tintin.gif

Real - Thor Heyerdahl. Don't know if it's bushcraft but it's not far off.

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
Ok, I stand corrected on the San / Bushman thing. I'll happily go back to calling them Bushmen for now. It's the name we grew up with after all.

However, they are definitley not Hottentots! They were persecuted as much by Hottentots (who were settled herders when the Dutch first settled the Cape) as by other tribes and the Europeans.

I wish now that I had learned more from the various black people that I knew in my younger life. I had glimpses, but never thought - or had the courage - to ask more.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
These are just a few of the people i have enjoyed reading about,or storys that have inspired me:
Nansen
Amundsen
Shackleton
Richard Francis Burton
Baden Powell
Spencer Chapman:book: the jungle is neutral
Clemens Forell:book:as far as my feet will carry me
Lt.Nick Rowe:book:Five years to freedom
Lofty Wisemann
Ray Mears
Rob Bredl
the Andes air crash survivors
as for the imaginary bushcrafters/outdoor heroes!
Stig
Jeremia Johnson
Hawkeye
Aigin(from the film Pathfinder)

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
Got to vote for Raquel Welch's character in One Million Years BC. Her hunting/foraging skills kept her in tip top shape and she made herself complete outfit out of one small rabbit.

2nd choice I have to agree with Little Nose.

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
Sorry I forgot to mention I did a weekend with Eddie McGhee (probably spellt his name wrong sorry).

When I was in the Scouts in Leeds we went for a long weekend (Bank Holiday) at his place.
It was great.
The first night he did a talk on his SAS days. Lots of Jungle pictures and a talk about his days in captivity. Top man.

Ha took us out over the next days on very long walks (I was only 11).

I always show kids how to do something he told us.

You know that type of long green grass that grows in marshy/boggy areas?
It grows a couple of feet high and is quite pointed and very straight.

He pulled a "spear" and split the end in two.
He put it on his shoulder and put his left fore and index finger between one of the splits.He held the same slit with his right hand.
With a vigorous pull of his left hand he launched the grass forty feet.
He was left holding half the grass (split neatly into).

Quite hard to describe, but great fun to do!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Little Nose, that takes me back.

Anyone remember him?

(But he wasnt much of a bushcrafter, having always to run to the Clever Men for new ideas.)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Bonzo Frog said:
I did a course with Lofty Wiseman back in the late 80's and he really got me into the whole outdoor/bushcraft thing, amazing bloke and tells a good story!
But Grey Owl (Archie Belaney) does it for me, if you get a chance to read his books - take it, now there was a man ahead of his time.

Bonzo

I'll agree with you there Bonzo. Grey Owl for me too. His books are excellent and I really don't care that he passed himself off as a native Indian ..........he still really knew his stuff.
And ............Oetzi and his mates of that period. They relly must have lived bushcraft as they knew nothing else because no-one had invented anything else. I wouldn't mind going on an Oetzi course for 6 months. :) Bow making, fire, trapping, skinning, clothes making from skins and pelts, flint knapping, arrow making, edible/medicinal plants. Shelter building. You name it, I would imagine Oetzi could have shown you it. Absolutely fascinating. :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
falling rain said:
I'll agree with you there Bonzo. Grey Owl for me too. His books are excellent and I really don't care that he passed himself off as a native Indian ..........he still really knew his stuff.
And ............Oetzi and his mates of that period. They relly must have lived bushcraft as they knew nothing else because no-one had invented anything else. I wouldn't mind going on an Oetzi course for 6 months. :) Bow making, fire, trapping, skinning, clothes making from skins and pelts, flint knapping, arrow making, edible/medicinal plants. Shelter building. You name it, I would imagine Oetzi could have shown you it. Absolutely fascinating. :)

I expect there's few of us who havn't heard of Oetzi, but here's an interesting piece on him if you havn't........................or even if you have :)
http://www.crystalinks.com/oetzi.html

Chris-N

Nov 18, 2005
South West Australia
Past - Daniel Boone, allegedly the even the Indians who captured him admired his hunting skill

Present - tough one. Probably Les Hiddins.

Mythical - Aragorn (Lord of the Rings) or Ayla (Clan of the Cave Bear)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Mcgyver definately gets my vote - who else can turn a bicycle into a cutting torch - survive anywhere that bloke :)

oh and the steve seagal character in 'fire down below' as he had good references :)

tom hanks character in castaway was a good lesson in improvisation :)

not sure if I'd class anyone who actually lives in the wild as a bushcrafter - after all they are just doing what comes naturally to live. all we are doing is recreating that by removing all the modern stuff from our lives every now and again.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
crazydave said:
not sure if I'd class anyone who actually lives in the wild as a bushcrafter - after all they are just doing what comes naturally to live. all we are doing is recreating that by removing all the modern stuff from our lives every now and again.

Hmmm not sure I'd agree with you there Dave. To me, anyone who is able to live totally self sufficient in the wild epitomises the term 'bushcrafter'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE