Your favourite bushcrafters - past, present, real, mythical

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I think Robin Hood has to be up there - living in the woods, off the land, foraging and hunting with a bow. Must have had top primitive firelighting and shelter building skills and to top it off - always wore green :D

So, as the title suggests and for a bit of fun, who are everyone's bushcrafting hero's?

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast

For any self respecting bushcrafter it has to be Stig of the Dump

He's the ultimate master of the craft. There's a lad who walks his talk! He can flint knap arrow and spear heads and primitive fire start in all weathers. He knows how to catch an animal and use the skin to make his own clothes, he needs no money to live or a computer to communicate with the outside world, all this and he is still a kid. He puts Bear Grills and Ray Mears to shame by demonstrating that the best way to survive in the wilderness is to stay exactly where you are and make the nearest cave into a habitable space, complete with hand dug extra rooms, are there no limits to his remarkable skills? I think we should invite him to Bushmoot this year instead of Mors Kochanski :D

xylaria

BABA YAGA :D

Old crone that lives in the woods, with the secret of fire and wisdom. Lets face it if you personify nature she would have an attitude, not tolerate fools and have things living in her hair.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
twisted firestarter said:

For any self respecting bushcrafter it has to be Stig of the Dump

He's the ultimate master of the craft. There's a lad who walks his talk! He can flint knap arrow and spear heads and primitive fire start in all weathers. He knows how to catch an animal and use the skin to make his own clothes, he needs no money to live or a computer to communicate with the outside world, all this and he is still a kid. He puts Bear Grills and Ray Mears to shame by demonstrating that the best way to survive in the wilderness is to stay exactly where you are and make the nearest cave into a habitable space, complete with hand dug extra rooms, are there no limits to his remarkable skills? I think we should invite him to Bushmoot this year instead of Mors Kochanski :D

And he used matches when he had them!
How about the chick from "Clan of the Cave Bear" and all its sequels?
Strong, clever, beautiful, inventive and a lot more interesting to a grown man than Stig (God love him) .If you have read the books you know what I mean!

Who else can light a fire from one strike of flint on pyrites?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
John Fenna said:
And he used matches when he had them!
How about the chick from "Clan of the Cave Bear" and all its sequels?
Strong, clever, beautiful, inventive and a lot more interesting to a grown man than Stig (God love him) .If you have read the books you know what I mean!

Who else can light a fire from one strike of flint on pyrites?

I agree, very interesting to grown men :naughty:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
xylaria said:
BABA YAGA :D

Old crone that lives in the woods, with the secret of fire and wisdom. Lets face it if you personify nature she would have an attitude, not tolerate fools and have things living in her hair.

After reading a bit about Baba Yaga I get the impression she is the original Blair Witch - scary stuff.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Apologies for the unashamed self promotion :eek: , but I like the virtual me that I incorporated into a novel that I wrote back in about 2002. I've not managed to get it published, but it's available online at http://www.thesilvershroud.co.uk.

I didn't know the term bushcraft at the time, but it's about someone who escapes from modern society by turning to what is now covered by the term bushcraft. If I ever lose my job, my house, my everything, it's what I'd like to do to survive.

I think it's a good story, though I'm not sure if anyone else will, but when my daughter read it when she was about 16 she told me that it was the first book that she had ever read that made her cry.

Geoff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The narrator in the book "Rogue Male" by Geoffrey Household - real "Boys Own" stuff - lives between two hedges and finally kills his would-be assasin with a cat gut bowstring!

Red

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Ahjno said:
Les Hiddins :D

Two votes for Les. Ahjno, you are a man of good taste - the Bushtucker Man programmes are my favourite TV series ever. Period. :red:

If you fancy a laugh, have a look at Russell Coight - a Bushtucker Man p**s-take (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Aussie_Adventures). :D

Mors and Ray, obviously (clearly, they're good mates as we're on first name terms). [tongue firmly in cheek :rolleyes: ]

What about the lad from 'My Side of the Mountain'? - can't remember his name, though. Other than 'Scouting for Boys', it's the first 'bushcraft' book I read.

Talking of scouting, Lord Baden-Powell's got to be in there too.

All my heros - fictional or real.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I know its meant to be a giggle and apologise for getting serious but the greatest living super hero has to be Ranulph Fiennes, the guy is a real inspiration.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
What about the fella in 'Danny, Champion of the World' By Roald Dahl? I suppose technichally he's a poacher, but i always wanted a Dad like that when i was a boy after reading that book.

Then again, there is also the guy who Marj Simpsons sisters are always watching. You know, the guy who then went onto Stargate SG-1, McGuyver, thats him. Ok, again not a bushcrafter but his skills in improvisation were second to none. But if i included him, i'd have to have the A-Team and they could do anything but there had to be a welding torch involved and the could'nt shoot for s**t.

Predictably, Ray and Mors, possibly less predictably Grizzly Adams and the Littlest Hobo, (technically a Dog!).

OK, what about a MUTANT bushcrafter.

The skills of Mors Kochanski
The Knowledge of Ray Mears
The Bird identification of Bill Oddie
The enthusiasm of Steve Irwin
The humour of Peter Kay
The taste of Les Hiddins
and finally, the face and body (and saucy smile) of..........Kate Garaway!

I know the last one may be a bit contentious but delete and insert as taste dictates.

OK, there we have it, favourite bushcrafters, a member of the Amazonian tribe!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE