Your favourite bushcrafters - past, present, real, mythical

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
KAE1 said:
I know its meant to be a giggle and apologise for getting serious but the greatest living super hero has to be Ranulph Fiennes, the guy is a real inspiration.

No worries KAE, there are no rules mate - serious or funny. Everyone is free to hero worship :notworthy or have a laugh :lmao: or both on this thread.

There have been some cracking suggestions so far btw.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'm going to stick my neck out and say Ray Mears.

I know it's not 'cool' to like him, and everyone always wants to prove that they're more old school than anyone else, but *** do I care?

Jason Sears comes a close second.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Not truest bushcraft but Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall knows a lot more than most about what to do with natural foods.

Then there is Alexander Selkirk - the real Robinson Crusoe - he did not do bushcraft from choice, but necessity in order to survive - for years.

And then I quite like Buck of our very own attempt at a novel on this forum.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
How about Prometheus who stole fire from the gods and gave it to mortals :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus

I like Ray Mears for his skills and ability to share them and also the fact that he's
one of those people who occasionally comes out with something that wouldn't
have crossed my mind and makes me stop and think. I'm sure there are plenty
of others like that too of course, I just don't know them all yet.

"People tend to describe everything as being of spiritual significance, with very
little evidence. I’ve seen a lot of that in recent archaeology. But why? You never
hear anyone say, ‘this was a Neolithic fairground’."
http://www.britarch.ac.uk/BA/ba76/column3.shtml

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Mythical :Gollum from Lord of the Rings managed to survive for quite some time alone. in pretty adverse circumstances.

Human fictional : I guess Tarzan must be up there having disappeared into the jungle at an early age.

Real humans : Probably one of those people that got seperated and left on a island during the world war and never found out it was over till many many years later.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
How about Thor Heyerdahl for building boats out of reeds and balsa wood and taking his wife off to Polynesia to live as a native? Respect :notworthy

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Beren, or maybe his great great x ? grandson Aragorn. "I have have walked the far lands of Rhun and Harad where the stars are strange".

British Red said:
The narrator in the book "Rogue Male" by Geoffrey Household - real "Boys Own" stuff - lives between two hedges and finally kills his would-be assasin with a cat gut bowstring!

Red

"Asmodeus gut bow string" - not just any old cat ;)

Great book that I have not read in ages. Must remember to ask my old man to give it back.

Phil.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
There was once a bushcrafter called George Washington Sears AKA Nessmuk.
I think he was pretty good at the 'crafting. (and no-one else saw fit to mention him)

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
Mikey P said:
Assume you mean either the San bushmen...or a memory card. :D

Not the storage card! :lmao:

Yes, Bushmen is the slang term. They prefer to be called their own name, San.

Considering that they were probably the true first people of southern Africa, and now survive only in the Kalahari, I reckon they're true survivors.

I like Lofty Wiseman, Ray Mears & Les Hiddins too. Can't say anything for Mors as I've heard of him but not experienced him yet.

I thoughroughly enjoyed Nessmuk.

And I'd clean forgotten Little Nose! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE