You know you’re getting old when……

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Or you know that peeing at any other time than I'm immediately before getting into your sleeping bag will result in a night-time excursion.

Or you need a selfie stick to read a map, book or whatever without special glasses. I don't need reading glasses just longer arms!

Reactions: JonathanD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wouldn’t mind. But I’m going to have to extricate myself from this great position and trek through brambles to a place well away out of the way upwind where they won’t pick up the scent. Life is so hard sometimes.

Reactions: PoppyD

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Sods law. Pretty much everytime I go kayak fishing, after donning the drysuit, boots, pfd, vhf, rigged up rods, clipped everything up, dragged the thing down the beach, launched, paddled out a mile or so, anchored up and put a bait in the water... nature calls. Like clockwork

Reactions: PoppyD

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Old?

When you argue with family about who can see the best to dig a wood sliver out of my hand! My glasses have a newer prescription than yours.

When you argue with a hunting partner about who has the best balance to bend over and field dress a grouse without falling on your face!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sods law. Pretty much everytime I go kayak fishing, after donning the drysuit, boots, pfd, vhf, rigged up rods, clipped everything up, dragged the thing down the beach, launched, paddled out a mile or so, anchored up and put a bait in the water... nature calls. Like clockwork
Same with getting into a sleeping bag, in a hammock, zipping the bug net, thrashing about a bit to get in the comfy zone, have a listen to the night noises, adjust pillow, close eyes. Cue the swearing.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Well at the moment a badger or badgers come into my garden at night looking for water. They did the same last year during dry weather, digging up soaker hose and digging a hole where my water butt tap drips (another sign of old age!) So now I leave a bucket of water out for them.

Reactions: Nice65 and TeeDee
I've found the best thing whilst waiting is to throw some Monkey nuts in their shells down the Sett hole - You'll hear the crunch!-crunch! in enough time to be still.

View attachment 68835
could someone please enlighten me what monkey nuts are?! (at least the local primates would object of i remove parts of their anatomy and chuck them down a badger's hole :p :p )
throwing a handful of dog hair down the entrance hole of a badger family's home in Japan convinced them to move on (they decided to move under a shed 10 meters from my room and raided the camping ground garbage bin every night ) -- which seemed a better solution to me than the local hunter dispatching them..

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
could someone please enlighten me what monkey nuts are?! (at least the local primates would object of i remove parts of their anatomy and chuck them down a badger's hole :p :p )
throwing a handful of dog hair down the entrance hole of a badger family's home in Japan convinced them to move on (they decided to move under a shed 10 meters from my room and raided the camping ground garbage bin every night ) -- which seemed a better solution to me than the local hunter dispatching them..

Peanuts in their shells.

nuts.png

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've found the best thing whilst waiting is to throw some Monkey nuts in their shells down the Sett hole - You'll hear the crunch!-crunch! in enough time to be still.

View attachment 68835
My badgers makes so much noise you don’t need too. Literally three minutes after stashing my iPad I could hear the first one crashing around

Last edited:
Reactions: PoppyD and TeeDee

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Right after I left here to enjoy the night time shnufflings, I legged it out of the area to release. Got back, and 20 minutes into watching the big badger boar do his noisy things. I had to go again. Held off to get some good pictures. Didn’t work. He is there somewhere if…there wasn’t so much flashback.

13523780-8FA9-4803-ADFC-66CC7D60A7A5.jpeg

So moved off to watch the bats and foxes on the woodland edge across the fields. Wonderful place. You can fall asleep there, but I chose the one night when the rugby club is practicing late.

41E1F8F4-597F-43C3-A952-9E07B1E258F6.jpeg

They don’t stop open too long usually. But it’s sad when you can hear Robin and Blackbird singing at least an hour and a half after they should have roosted and nodded off. The moths around the lights are like a massive cloud. The spots against the sky in the picture aren’t stars. They’re bats.

So I laid back and chilled watching the stars and the leaves as the rain started falling.

DDCA6ECB-B2E0-44FB-BA1C-F56C44319666.jpeg

Then headed back through the woods home. Rain falling and peace all around me. You can’t pay for this. The smells, the sounds… etc.

D7662D7B-EAB7-40ED-9C75-7209E8FFD9E6.jpegB80711A5-205A-419F-A352-3C616A36B88C.jpeg57A71880-2232-4959-8C92-CBFB56F95BF1.jpeg1401CA63-2DD0-4C9F-9A38-9B70DB8B3683.jpeg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE