Yo-Yo Automatic Fishing Reels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Hi,

I ordered 2 dozen of these from the states. Turns out I only really need 6 at the moment so I'm offering the remaining 18 for sale on here.

£6 each inc P&P (but you pick up the fee's please)

These are the things for those that don't know:
http://www.yoyofishing.co.uk/

I've got nowt to do with that website, just using for information purposes.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I seem to remember there was a a loophole to this. It was either legal if put onto on rod, or legal if used as a handline. Dunno myself as I'm not a fisherman, I just I recall reading it on the forum. I think it had it's own thread?

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I use these now and again at some locations where I camp. We usually set them up before getting our camp set up and leave them out over night and check them in the morning. My experience with them has been that we generally average about 2 fish for every 6 or so that we set out. They are really simple to set up and check; much easier than a trot line. I like them because I can set them up and then go and do other stuff and still have a good chance of catching lunch for the next day without having to do much. I think you guys will like them and will have some fun with them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe so, but they are illegal here except on coastal shorelines......and then not where there are any other fisheries or riparian interests, or SSSi's or ranges, and not from a fixed pole.....I think the concensus was that an overhanging branch was okay.

Not for use in our rivers, lochs, lakes, etc., not sure about the tidal reaches of the estuaries :dunno:

Basically the forum will not promote or condone illegal activity, so this spiel comes out every time.

Technically these are not illegal to possess, but get caught with them near a salmon river and you might find yourself in trouble with the bailiffs.......and up here if you are found guilty then they can, and do, confiscate not only your fishing equipment but the vehicle that you used to get to the site in the first place.

Probably best thought of as 'survival' equipment rather than for going fishing, iimmc.

We had so many contentious threads about these things :sigh: The fishermen didn't want to know, the restrictions on their use made them contentious, and it all became a right royal pain in the situpon.

Sales threads are not supposed to be undermined. These things though, the pros and cons seem to make it inevitable.

I hope they sell really, really quickly for you nineinchninja, and we can quietly bury this thread without any fuss.

Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think disabled fishermen can use them? A member here gave me two a couple of years ago, packed them away with my gill net, not used either yet though.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Thanks for all the replies. These are sold as "collectors items" only - so please be sensible with them. They are pretty much illegal to use, unless you are sea fishing (so I've been told)

All requests by PM please, my phone doesn't like this website for some reason so can't check the thread until I get back into work. All PMs replied to so far.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bump!

Thank you for being so understanding about the issue :D

It would be interesting to know more details of Richard's 'disabled fisherman', permissions though.
We have a kind of rambling thread in the Mods on the illegals/legal fishing and hunting type tools, and this is the kind of information that we add to it.

cheers,
Toddy

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Bump!

Thank you for being so understanding about the issue :D

It would be interesting to know more details of Richard's 'disabled fisherman', permissions though.
We have a kind of rambling thread in the Mods on the illegals/legal fishing and hunting type tools, and this is the kind of information that we add to it.

cheers,
Toddy

As far as I know disabled fisherman don't have any special privileges in terms of the equipment they are permitted to use which would otherwise be outside the law.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Salmon and fresh water fisheries act 1975

1 Prohibited implements.

(1)Subject to subsection (4) below, no person shall—

(a)use any of the following instruments, that is to say—

(i)a firearm within the meaning of the M1Firearms Act 1968;

(ii)an otter lath or jack, wire or snare;

(iii)a crossline or setline;

(iv)a spear, gaff, stroke-haul, snatch or other like instrument;

(v) a light;

for the purpose of taking or killing salmon, trout or freshwater fish;

(b) have in his possession any instrument mentioned in paragraph (a) above intending to use it to take or kill salmon, trout or freshwater fish; or

(c) throw or discharge any stone or other missile for the purpose of taking or killing, or facilitating the taking or killing of any salmon, trout or freshwater fish.

“setline” means a fishing line left unattended in water and having attached to it one or more lures or baited hooks

there are no exceptions within the law

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE