Yew Tree Wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Doubt it will fall, Yew is one bad bottom tree. It will replant itself most likely and still be there in a thousand years!!

Yeah, that. We have a place called Kingley Vale just down the road, some of the trees are estimated to have been there for more than 2000 years. Haven't been for a while, I'm going to take the dogs there tomorrow I think. The forest has a deep atmosphere, you can feel the age.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingley_Vale_National_Nature_Reserve

Google for more, it's an interesting place.

On a side note, Mark, I never did take pics of some of the pieces I've found. I'll endeavour to do it and post them up soon.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
[FONT=&amp]Sounds like the tree is a regular target for vandals so sadly they may finish it off, if it was left alone from now on it would probably survive okay but it sounds like it may suffer further attacks if it’s a yobbo’s meeting place. They can live okay with a hollowed out core, there’s an ancient one in Much Marcle churchyard Herefordshire with a girth over 30 foot that is completely hollow and has benches fitted inside it and it is alive and well, this is that tree

[/FONT]
Much%2BMarcle%2Byew.jpg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
there some paints you can put on trees after tree surgery to prevent infection with funghi and to speed healing (not sure what they'd be called in UK...)- i'd suggest getting some and see if the tree.

Current best practice is NOT to paint anything onto a tree wound but to leave it to naturally start it's CODIT process. No matter how fast you are with a paint brush, as soon as the cut or snapp or burn has happened the wound is infected with airborne invaders of one type or another and all you do is paint seal in that invasion and disrupt the trees CODIT reponse.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

Current best practice is NOT to paint anything onto a tree wound but to leave it to naturally start it's CODIT process. No matter how fast you are with a paint brush, as soon as the cut or snapp or burn has happened the wound is infected with airborne invaders of one type or another and all you do is paint seal in that invasion and disrupt the trees CODIT reponse.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

it was 19years ago when i worked for a landscape company (winter time was tree surgery time...) so things might have changed since then... . wish i could remember what the stuff was called- it was not ordinary paint... but from what i saw it seemed to help forming a callus after surgery.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Bam says painting isn't considered good practice anymore, though various paints and tars have been used in the past. I certain species internal decay in the trunk is actually beneficial in helping to reduce weight and strain in the bole. It can give the tree a certain flexibility that helps it take the strain of stresses caused by high winds that would snap a solid tree.
In various religions and myths it's considered the tree of death, associated with graveyards, poisoning and arrows. Some woodworking books do say that you can use it for food utensils but especially if it's something you'd use a fair bit I'd avoid it.
Used to have this fantastic old chap who came to the estate periodically, he worked for a veneer company in southern England, he was fantastic, could take a cursory glance at a tree and tell you it's life story; if it had suffered from drought, disease, lightning, fungus. (I was dubious first time I met him till we took a couple down and exactly where he said there would be damage (hidden way inside the tree with no obvious external sign to the rest of us) there it was. Then again he paid top dollar for certain woods and just didn't make mistakes.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The tree of death, rebirth, and everlasting life, as it happens :) Due to the way it appears to die off, replants itself, regrows and basically never dies. :)

In various religions and myths it's considered the tree of death, associated with graveyards, poisoning and arrows.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
is it actually still forbidden to plant them in France?! @least it was after Agincourt/ Crecy (because of the success of the english longbows)....
Yeah, goes as far back as that. but i'm sure i read that the English were buying up as much yew from all parts of Europe that the supply and demand couldn't keep up. The prices went through the roof and forests were decimated as the Yew protected other species from the elements.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Italy was the main source of Yew for longbows, but the english King also ordered that any ship arriving in England for trade must also bring a certain amount of yew bow staves. It may have even been a law.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Italy was the main source of Yew for longbows, but the english King also ordered that any ship arriving in England for trade must also bring a certain amount of yew bow staves. It may have even been a law.
Yeah, i'm sure it was something like 10 staves for every ton brought ashore. the invention of guns soon put an end to the Yew trade though. Dont know if that was a good thing or a bad thing...probably bad.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The duke of wellington requested units of longbowmen to fight Napoleons troops. 12 shots a minute at 200 yards against un armoured opponents would have been a massive advantage, when the best expected of troops back then was 3 shots a minute at 50 yards. It would probably have ended the war on the mathematics alone. I can just imagine what the French would have thought if it had happened.... "Merde, not again" ":D

Unfortunately, it takes about 10 years to develop the skills and strength to use a war bow effectively so it never happend.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
it was 19years ago when i worked for a landscape company (winter time was tree surgery time...) so things might have changed since then... . wish i could remember what the stuff was called- it was not ordinary paint... but from what i saw it seemed to help forming a callus after surgery.

No worries buddy, and yep...things sure do change, I still come across trees that have had their cavities filled with concrete back in the 70's just like a dentist would do on your teeth! Lol :)

did they have yew plantations then or where did they get all their bow staves from?! i cannot imagine natural regrowth would have been enough... . it did not say anything about plantations but one article i came across mentions tying weights to the trees to have then grow with a bend (and get a natural reflex/recurve) - anyone heard of this?!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Related to this, is there any folklore to collections of yew. Normally I've only ever seen multiple yews in churchyards. When I've found them in the woods, it's always been singular trees. However recently I found a stand of several dozen stunningly beautiful trees. Wondered if there was any superstitions or lore associated with yew forests.

Julia

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
………don't sleep under them :)

They were deliberately planted for the timber, but usually in areas where domesticated animals wouldn't forage on them.
Many single trees seem to have been planted on top of hidden water sources. It's been suggested that that was done to mark them in some way. Whether it was a religious thing, or another social custom, I couldn't say.

M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
What age would we give this tree. Looks ideal for a allnighter.

That could be 2,000 years old plus.
There are some in a mid Wales churchyard which the Conservation Foundation estimates to be at least 2,000 years old and that one looks a similar size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE