Yet more rubbish!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted dude 7861

Ok what about a local 'adopt-a-wood' campaign where we all spend a little time doing cleanups in a local area near us?
If everybody got involved in this scheme and gave a little time we could evolve it into something quite large....

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Ok what about a local 'adopt-a-wood' campaign where we all spend a little time doing cleanups in a local area near us?
If everybody got involved in this scheme and gave a little time we could evolve it into something quite large....

Again, I say count me in.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would love to see a small portable DNA testing kit invented that countryside wardens or community support officers could carry, and if litter is spotted then someones DNA could proberbly be taken from it.....That would make them think twice before dropping litter....
Proberbly not a conceivable idea though....Would interfere with human rights or sommit...

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I would love to see a small portable DNA testing kit invented that countryside wardens or community support officers could carry, and if litter is spotted then someones DNA could proberbly be taken from it.....That would make them think twice before dropping litter....
Proberbly not a conceivable idea though....Would interfere with human rights or sommit...

LOL! That or hundreds of shopkeepers would get locked up. :lmao:

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I, like other members, carry out what I take in and end up picking up others rubbish. One of the things that gets me is the amount of rubbish that has obviously came from farmers and land managers, things like feed bags, pails and poorly maintained and discarded fencing. At the start of the fishing season out club has a couple of work days where we look after the ground that surrounds our water including picking up after poachers. I don't stick to one area for my camps but I'm willing to join a group to do a clear up.

Al Pine

Jul 13, 2007
Yorkshire
I just thought I would add my comment ...After walking through Dalby Forest yesterday .....I came across remain's of what looked like a party, bottles and cans everywhere and big charred logs in the middle of it ,that was annoying But those who maintain the forest are worse in my opinion. If anybody has been recently, is it me or does it look more like Centre Parks or is that what they are gearing towards......
With all that said I would like to be involved in a cleanup in some way..in North Yorkshire there is The Countryside Service who use volunteers for this and North York Moors National Park Authority Volunteer Service...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Let's get a show of hands of who is willing to do something along these lines and perhaps ask if we have the blessing of BCUK to do it in their name.

:red:

Edit: Didn't see your post there RB, it's great to hear that you guys are already doing similar things.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I sent a P.M. to Andy-E with some thoughts and then agreed that we should make a move toward actually doing something other than talk. I would suggest that those members in the Glasgow-Edinburgh and in between area, who are interested come together at a mid point say Cumbernauld ( after the Christmas buzz is past) (say the end of January) to discuss this more fully and draw up a Plan of Action. We could do this over a cup of coffee or better still a meal together. There is , or was a small Chinese restaurant in the Old Village which my wife and I discovered some time ago, I thought might be a suitable venue.
Can I suggest that anyone interested should P.M. me, fairly soon as to their interest in attending this meeting. I don't know, but I would assume that the place would be quieter,
mid week rather than at weekends If those responding can indicate the best night for them ,I will have to go by the majority. There would be quite a lot to discuss, Area to be
given Clean -up. Approval of Landowners, Source of Bin Bags Council Involvement in
Lifting Collected Rubbish. Health and Safety, though I would take it that those Volunteering
to take part would be agreeing to do so at their own risk. Possible overnight camp and
approval for that and the question of our own approval to have fires.
We do not want everyone to dash away now and contact groups or landowners as this
could result in a lot of duplication and possibly getting the horse before the cart.
We will discuss approaches to groups at the meeting as we do not want to bring in the name of BCUK without their approval , if at all? Though if it was a success it would be a
"feather in the cap" of BCUK and not do us any harm as a group.
I would suggest that the ACTUAL CLEANUP, would be planned to take place about the month of MAY before the tourist season gets too much under way. Date to be agreed later. I think that this approach with possibly quite small groups in local areas is better than trying to organise a National Campaign, We could even seek help and advice from such groups as Keep Scotland Tidy, Without letting them take over. This can also be discussed at the meeting, (which may need to be the first of a few )
Once I get a response from a number of members I will try to fix up a date for the first meeting to suit the availability of the majority. LET'S HEAR FROM YOU.
Cheers Stuart.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Please see Thread By Mattk " Yet more Rubbish" and my replies especially about a possible MEETING TO DISCUSS POSSIBLE ACTION.
I am keen to get any replies in from those interested so as to know if I should go ahead with this meeting and if numbers justify it. Do P.M. me if interested as soon as possible. Thanks Stuart.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
You might not get a reply very soon as she is in hospital at this precise moment giving birth ;)

This thread may be of interest.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5563

So it might be worth dropping Wayne a PM

Sorry, Magikelly Who is Wayne? Could'nt find the name on members list of sotp or BCUK I am still not too familiar with names between user names and real ones, quite
confusing. Had a look at the above URL but found it a bit much. I want to keep this not
too involved if possible. Have asked Toddy to find out if we can use BCUK name at all.
I referred them to my Thread and await a reply. If not approved will just do it as a group ouf like minded out- door volunteers . Will see what comes out of the meeting if there is enough interest to call one. Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE