Yet another balloon release :-(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Shame on them! Don't they know that it's useless to release ballons that were raised in captivity? They'll never survive on their own in the wild.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I wonder if I need to go back to the opticians, thought this was about a "Baboon release".

Bit disappointed frankly......

Would a charity Baboon release be better or worse for the environment?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I wonder if I need to go back to the opticians, thought this was about a "Baboon release".

i rekon yer onto something there!

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire

They'd be even bluer if you released the poor sods in Inverness in October.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Had to look up fire lanterns. Hdn't ever heard of them til now.

Yea in the last few years they have become popular in the UK first time I saw one I was walking the dog an I live right by Liverpool airport and for a few moments till I realised how slow it was going I thought "Is that a aircraft on fire?".
I am shocked schools are still doing this though, it's a waste of money, litters the countryside (and the city) and is a waste of Helium.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Actually if you do some research latex balloons are bio-degradable and any large balloon release event must check in with the Civil Aviation Authority for permission first as well. As far as being a 'waste of helium', helium is the second most abundant element in the universe making up approximately 24% of all matter. It isn't going to run out

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Actually if you do some research latex balloons are bio-degradable and any large balloon release event must check in with the Civil Aviation Authority for permission first as well. As far as being a 'waste of helium', helium is the second most abundant element in the universe making up approximately 24% of all matter. It isn't going to run out

Hahahahahaha yeah,

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

It's the second lightest element. Wiki (I know I don't like to use them as a source either) lists it as the MOST abundant element in the observable universe.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
It's the second lightest element. Wiki (I know I don't like to use them as a source either) lists it as the MOST abundant element in the observable universe.

no Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the observable universe, all matter is roughly 75% Hydrogen, 24% Helium and 1% everything else

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

We get helium as a side effect of drilling for natural gas - it is abundant in the universe but not on this planet, where it is a finite resource produced by radioactive decay over thousands of years. It is a key factor in cooling the huge magnets of vital medical equipment like MRI scanners.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
It is sufficiently rare that some have given serious thought to mining the Moon for Helium 3 to use in nuclear fusion. Apparently that variety of Helium barely occurs naturally on the earth at all.......

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Had to look up fire lanterns. Hdn't ever heard of them til now.

Millions of them in the UK santaman, combine that with the burst gas greedy balloons and the UK countryside looks a right mess, tripping over the blooming things, fields full of balloons and paper lanterns, some mornings I need to use a snow shovel to clear my path from front door to road; whole hillsides covered :lmao:

There are times here when people moan about very valid things...a balloon race and paper lanterns ain't one of them for crying out loud :rolleyes:

Moan about the coming price hikes in spuds and pork, thats worthy a moan or two.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There are times here when people moan about very valid things...a balloon race and paper lanterns ain't one of them for crying out loud :rolleyes:
_56261177_dsc_0976.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE