Xmas is cancelled!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - so I offered to do the Xmas day shift at work ..
but it turns out I di not even get 2 days together over the Xmas period ... so no visit to my aged aunt in Blackpool this Xmas period.
So Xmas is not happening this year.
Ah well - perhaps next year...

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
That sucks.
The last five Xmas's have seen my other half having to go in at odd times so no full holiday break. Prior to the government cut backs (staff redundancies and early retirement bonus deals) they took it in turns to provide cover and it worked well for all.
Hope you get to enjoy what time you get off despite this disappointment.

Rob.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To be fair - we are short handed and 2 new staff start after the holidays and a lot of folk have so much holiday due that if everyone took what they were due before 2017 the place would shut down completely and lots of vulnerable folk would really suffer - which no one would want to see.
It is all down to the number of folk needing Care and the provision/funding available from the authorities being very limited...
I do not really care about Xmas itself but it would have been nice for my Aunt if we could have gone to see her for a couple of days.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bushcrafters should make a significant event of the winter solstice.
Seems harder and harder in my family to get organized and get together for Christmas.
I do feel some concern for those who work the holidays for whatever the reasons.

This year's brutal cold (-28C or colder again tonight) has not helped.

But at the same time, everybody gets quite cranked up about the solstice!
At my house on Dec 21, I will see the sun set behind Lucille mountain at 1:52PM.
My miniscule brain might register the lengthening days by mid January.

So for those of you who work the 25th and surrounding days, I wish you all well.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Sorry to hear that John. Christmas should be a time for family. You have my sympathy.

Good on you for caring about those you look after and hopefully when the dust settles at work you will be able to make that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Look on the bright side, John. You can work over Christmas. :)

Yup - I get Boxing Day and New Years Eve off though, every other day from 21/12/16 to 2/1/ 2017 I have at least 3 hours on shift ... Xmas Day 07.30 - 17.00 ( and I think I am cooking a Xmas lunch of which I am not allowed to eat anything)...

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Yup - I get Boxing Day and New Years Eve off though, every other day from 21/12/16 to 2/1/ 2017 I have at least 3 hours on shift ... Xmas Day 07.30 - 17.00 ( and I think I am cooking a Xmas lunch of which I am not allowed to eat anything)...

Just think of the coin mate, treble time :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE