1st Knife from a re-purposed chefs cleaver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
So fancied having a go at a knife but not having a surplus of readies decided to see what I could do for as cheaply as possible, and as an exercise in re-purposing.
I had an old cheapo stainless chefs cleaver that's never been out of the back of the kitchen drawer for about 5 years, so it became the metal donor and after marking a fulltang design onto it I set about it with an angle grinder (well after discovering that my sense of humour doesn't stretch to persevering with a hacksaw that is ! :mad:)

Which gets us to this point: (there is a rough bevel hidden under the tape too)

In the meanwhile I tracked down some burr elm for scales, and nickel silver tubing etc to make lanyard tube and mosaic pins.
Roughed out all the bits and after colouring Araldite with laser printer toner, glued and and clamped it until set. At this point even being kind it looked UGLY ! and lacking promise.

But after a a few minutes on the disc sander at work, things were looking up.

Now this is the point where you would either use a good rasp or, preferably, a belt sander. I have neither and have no access to any, but I do have a vice, a piece of sanding belt and Tesco Value new potatoes.................yes I did say Tesco Value etc etc :D

So after marking the desired handle shape with the combination of working through the grades with the erm 'spud drum sander' and hand sanding (lots and lots and LOTS of hand sanding) it was beginning to look almost like a knife (and I was beginning to feel less hateful towards it). There was a fair bit of trial and error with the handle thickness and a fair bit more wood was removed after the pics below.

So after LOTS more sanding, then hand buffing with compound and a torn up bedsheet, I added half a dozen coats of teak oil and ended up with this:

Rough around the edges, and the bevel and plunge line is pooh but learnt loads in the process, and it is shaving sharp (surprisingly)......This knife making lark is addictive so it won't be my last.

At some stage I'll post the leather lanyard and hand turned lanyard bead (from same blank as the handle) and the dangler/not a dangler sheath I made too.

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
Thanks Crosslandkelly, it's lacking a little in the aesthetics but it feels okay in the hand so it's definitely a user. It will be an all-rounder which will see use for general camp duties, occasional carving/whittling and food prep (hence picking stainless) and everything in between.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Looks pretty good to me!

I'm guessing that the steel won't be very hard so you'll get lots of practise sharpening (always a bright side to everything).

Greeny

Jun 21, 2015
Cheshire
Cheers.
That's always puzzled me about stainless, how it's meant to lose it's edge so easily yet it managed to bu***r up 3 cobalt drill bits and needed going at with an angle grinder after lunching a pair of hacksaw blades ????.
Also back in my chef days the carbon steel knives sharpened easily and well, stainless chef knives were a sod to bring up, but the best knives for sharpness, edge retention and ease of sharpening were Sheffield stainless butter knives ! (those your gran had with bone or bakelite handles) go figure ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE