WW1 BRITISH OFFICERS STOVE (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
This little project started off after reading this by Lieutenant M Cleeve,

This was a bit of a contrast to trench life, where we often had to cook our own meals and i used a little bivvy tin that i had. It was a tiny wee saucepan with a lid and inside the saucepan was a methylated spirits lamp. And what i found to be absolutely marvellous at an observation post was a tin of bully beef, which we had quite often, and i'd fry it on this little stove.

This got my mind going so i googled up WW1 trench stove and some pic's came up, this was it i had to make one up.
I got some measurements for the cup in the pic's and after chatting with woof he measured his Tatonka cup for me, this is the one i went with. The only prob with this cup is that it does not come with a lid so i had to make one up from ally to fit the cup i used a dee ring on top .
Next was to find a stand for the cup to sit on top with a burner inside , this is made from a sink tidy which i added a copper ring around the top for the cup to sit on.
For the burner i used a Tatonka one .
Well all that was left was for some leather work for it to fit in. All the stitching is do with linen thread to keep with the original leather work.

0033so.jpg

0023wf.jpg

0063n.jpg

0072su.jpg

0082rc.jpg

0102fn.jpg

Thank you for looking
All comments welcome

Cheers
Topknot

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
That is just beautiful, I need to have a go at that stitching on the lid and the rim, I've a few projects in mind that need it. How did you get the circle to be so exact? How did you cut it and did you rub off the rough edges to make it look so good. I am so jealous of it that, whilst I'm not a fan of meths stoves I really feel the need to try it.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Excellent bit of work there, the case looks very authentic for the period.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Cool! If I remember rightly, I learned in history class that some general got sent one of these by his worrying wife, and he didn't need it because he had a really big luxurious basecamp.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I really LIKE that, lovely work, I've never had a Ghillie stove but you've urged me to look for one again, superb chap :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE