Wrought iron

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Now you never know what I may find.

Im told this is no longer made, and is in demand

Is it worth finding and how do I recognise it?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Its THE stuff for forging.Much more malleable and ductile than mild steel and more forgiving at higher working temperatures.
As for recognising it...when i have a suspect peice i cut it half way though then bend it over.If its wrought it will look fiborous kinda like pastry when you pull it apart!
Another way is put it on a grinding wheel and observe the sparks.Wrought iron sparks flow out in straight lines. The tails of the sparks widen out near the end, similar to a leaf.
Most of the stuff i find has a surface like orange peel.Hope this helps.
I have no idea of its value though??Offer it to a Blacksmith.I find mine in old hedgerows...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds different when you tap it too. One goes chunk and the other kind of rings. Like pinging glass and good crystal.
Cannot remember which is which though :eek:

cheers,
M

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I understood there was quite a bit of it around still......... though most of it is still tied up in ornamental gates and bridges etc......... :D

they will probably notice if you turn up at clifton with a hacksaw though Tengu ;)

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Opinion is split over wrought iron vs mild steel from a blacksmith's perspective, especially if they have access to a powerhammer. It was sold in many different grades and the cruder/coarser/cheaper grades (muckbar) can be very pretty when etched. As Launditch points out old farmland is a good place to go hunting.

Knifemakers are sometimes very interested in WI, it can be etched to look a bit like pattern-welded steel. The cruder the iron the better the effect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE