Would you...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rambling Man

Apr 10, 2010
SE England
Given that a vast majority of the UK appear to be dissatisfied with their live's at present,in a hypothetical situation,if you(and family)were supplied with the means to leave the UK(visa's,a new job,travel expenses,schools for the kid's etc),country of your choice....would you choose to go???
I would be interested in other peoples thoughts.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Given that a vast majority of the UK appear to be dissatisfied with their live's at present,in a hypothetical situation,if you(and family)were supplied with the means to leave the UK(visa's,a new job,travel expenses,schools for the kid's etc),country of your choice....would you choose to go???

We already have, although I covered all our expenses myself, I love Scotland but have no regrets about making the move.

The food is definitely cheaper, better and arguably healthier over here. The education system in Hungary has taken a few knocks of late but still seems to provide a better and more rounded education than the one in the UK and the health system can provide a high standard of care but has a few problems the main one being that it is starved of cash.

The grass often looks greener on the other side of fence but its probably just different, not necessarily better, it all depends on what your looking for in life. :)

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I love my life and I love Scotland. I doubt there is anywhere better to live in the world right now.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I've met or talked to a number of people who've emigrated, in general I've found those that were happy and contented here are happy and contented where they've moved to. Those who had issues while living here also tended to have issues with where they live. If there's a moral to this story it's that people tend to take their baggage with them, and those that are prepared and ready to be happy with life will be, irrespective of where they live.

As for me, I'd quite like to live somewhere more remote and quieter, with large areas of genuine wilderness, but I'm also in love with the idea and (fairly often) the reality of England. It's not perfect, but nowhere is.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Er.....
I emigrated to Austrailia

I got too hot so I came back.

I lived in Spain, but struggled because they just dont talk english.

I lived in Wales, but just wasnt quite mad enough to fit in

Tried Sweden, but it was too cold and full of forigners....

Norway was even hillier than Wales and colder, although it was sort of drier even when it was snowing.

France? Oh dear.

Think if I was going to up sticks, it would probably be to a cooler part of Oz.

Might be tempted to have a look at Canada - but only if I could find an area with trees small enough I could get my hammock ropes around....

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Erm, yeah, probably.
It would depend on a lot of factors, obviously, but in theory I'd be up for it so long as the countries involved were either Canada or New Zealand. But it would depend.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria

Quick answer or long answer?

Quick - Yes, please!

Long - Yes but only based on the assumption this is on an ideal basis. The job I was going to was something I wanted to do, was fullfilling, within my capabilities and secure enough to warrant the move. No if the above wasn't true. I do like UK and up here near the Lakes is something special but since I am not enjoying my job as I believe people should I would be up for a move to wherever my best option would be. My ideal move would be slightly north, say into the heart of the Lakes with the money to be able to afford to buy a house and live there. Probably Bowness / Windermere area as I have friends there or at Kendal (which is 20 or so minutes away from me. So not that far really.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'd love to go to live in North America, and sample the wide open spaces. SWMBO won't hear of it. She reads every news article that she can find about murders, then she says it's dangerous out there.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I would at the Drop of a hat, But the missus won't, Too many deadly creepy crawlies, She only just copes with the spiders we have here lol

Given the chance I would probably be hesitant as I love it here in Scotland, so much here and its home.

If I were to emigrate, I guess it would be on of these three: Canada, NZ or the Northern States of the US.

Austalia would be interesting but would need to visit first for some reason.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I would leave England without hesitation!!!........... would only go as far as Scotland though lol I keep threatening to up sticks but something always comes along to kybosh it

Dave

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im happy where i was born, but lets face it, its too far from the sea.

Scotland I would enjoy, perhaps I can get a Uni place there?

I have no use for the US, Canada, or Autralia, no culture to speak of.

Scandanavia perhaps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE