Worth while being outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
o.k. I will be patient but now I know how so beware I will annoy you all with more or less relevant holiday pic's :wink:

Here it comes, nature at it's best, me, my friends and no one else!

images.php

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I found this on an American Scout Resource website this lunchtime, and thought it worh posting here:

The Campfire
by R. L. Stevenson

Did you ever watch the campfire
When the moon has fallen low,
And the ashes start to whiten
'Round the embers' crimson glow,
When the night sounds all around you
Making silence doubly sweet,
And a full moon high above you
That the spell may be complete?
Tell me, were you ever nearer
To the land of heart's desire,
Than when you sat there thinking
With your face turned toward the fire?

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I read somewhere once that all the plants and trees, water and fire - the natural world in other words, actually take away our negative/stressfull selves.
It always amazes me that when im feeling down and out of salts, I get myself outdoors and just that simple feeling of being in nature helps to `decharge` any bad feelings.

We live and work in an artficial world we have created, plasctic, concreate and all this radiation from mobiles,tv and radio - no wonder it feels good to be outdoors :-D

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Lewis Mumford wrote a two volume work called THE MYTH of the MACHINE. One of his ideas is that containers were one of the pivotal inventions of humanity, along with fire, the wheel and all the rest. Think of it, birchbark baskets for mushrooms are not far removed from those most monstrous containers of all; rooms, buildings, cities. Even those marvelous painted caves of europe show traces of scaffolding and possible wooden framed walls to improve comfort. Nothing wrong with living in a house, as long as it doesn't become an emotional artifice for our real world. Tents are always better with just a hint of a draft or rain leak anyway :lol: .

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
WOW great pics Guys.

I haven't been out in the wilderness for more then a two days at time over the past 4 years. May wife has noted that I am like a cat in cage. No more decorating or college assignments please.

This year things start to change. From the end of this month everything changes at least until October. When I return for my final six month of evening study :-(

You guys are really lucky but no jealousy here my time is coming and then I'll post a portfolio of pics.

Enjoy it and keep the pics coming. Maybe we should have a gallery for posting the best of our backcountry pics.

James

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive never really thought about it

Comming from an indoorsy sort of family (the sort who think the grimmest part of scotland is `beautiful`) my grandfather took me out a lot, I presume because he discovered that the outdoors was a capital way to amuse a toddler.

Only in adult life have I discovered canvas (when a child we had a caravan. 5 people in a caravan on a wet day is no joke, but we loved it) but I like it, tent life is so carefree, (unlike a caravan which though it has the advantages of home, needs a lot of fiddling with) you can sit up all night and get up as you please, eat when you like (and what you like, more to the point) its so laid back.

Modern technology can bring the computer/tv/books/dvds/games outdoors if you so wish

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Don't despair James, I don't get out much either. Its a horrid, terrible feeling to be trapped.

I once read an article reviewing ray mears which made me angry, in it the editor commended Ray for his educational Tv but expressed that she "couldnt understand at all why people would deliberately want to impoverish themselves"

The key word here is impoverished. To live outdoors it not a life of poverty. It is an impoverished life when you are trapped and tied to mortgage and a job (if its one you hate anyway!) where you don't get to see beauty and everything you own or buy is sterile and generic and probably poisoning you. Impoverished indeed!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
To be fair, James posted that comment about not being able to get out just over four years ago! And he hasn't been on since last September! Grumit should have mentioned that he resurrected a very old thread as he was looking for the picture and asked, but we all wanted to see what it was once he had found it.

Nevermind, eh!

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE