Worth while being outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I've been having a conversation at work about what we like doing and why. When I explain I love the outdoors and what I do, they don't quite believe me. I think this sums it up.

trees.jpg

Simon

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
One of the most annoying conversations I've had in the last year or so was in the pub where I work at weekends.
The Convo. was about wild food, how to gather, catch and prepare it.
The Brother-In-Law of the guy I was talking to just kept rhyming "
"Why don't you just buy pizza?",
"Get in your car and go buy a pizza",
"Why go to all that bother when you can buy pizza?"

The annoying thing about it was that he was not trying to wind us up, he genuinely couldn't get it into his head that anyone would rather eat something that they'd taken from nature themselves than the produce of Pizza Hut.

Nick in Belfast

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
When I first started helping out with Scouts 4 years ago, my office minion and I would have long good-natured conversations about the relative merits of (as he might put it) "camping in a waterlogged field in the pouring rain miles away from a decent toilet or good food" and staying in a nice hotel. "Why" he might say "should I bother to spend ages lighting a fire in the rain when all I have to do in the hotel is turn up the central heating?" To a certain extent he has a point, sometimes it's nice to be pampered.

But...

...how do you describe the feeling of waking up to a sunrise to someone who doesn't want to know? The warmth of the fire and good company after a long day? The pleasure of knowing that if you're comfortable it's because of your own efforts?

He'll never know, because he'll never try. On the other hand, he'll be happy in his hotel; just like I'll be happy in my tent. Differing views - the same end result.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
If i remember rightly we had brown trout and rabbit, but only water to drink

still nothing makes you feel better at the end of a long day than a bit of fire stareing

funny how grown adults are still compleately mesmerized by fire, you can watch it for hours, then fall asleep in its warmth

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Thats something I'm looking forward to. I know a couple of campsites in Dartmoor that allow fires, but never done one in this context. Do any of you on here ever get together to share tips and practice at all?

Btw fantastic picture above, if I can I'll try and get some of the pics from the lakes out at some point.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Maybe it’s a nice idea to make a ad subject where people can post pictures of their outdoor adventures. We can have a picture of the month thing or topics like nature, bushcraft techniques and bloody-spoon-making-accidents. :eek:\:

How do you post pictures anyway? I have a few nice ones but they are not online so I can’t post a URL. Is there a way to upload pictures to a server so we can post them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE