Worse nights sleep

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Ironic I log into see a post on 'great nights sleep' having had a terrible one at the weekend!

There I was, set up in my Hennessy hammock, new 4+ sleeping bag kept me snug, didn't need to get up more than once in the night to water the nettles.

But didn't sleep a wink. Often it's like that on first night at camp. Perhaps I'm just not getting out often enough. It may have had something to do with my current chest infection, or the child with night terrors crying out (I was with the scouts). Whom knows...

They did make some nice hammocks though using whoopie slings and runs of waterproof nylon fabric. No-one woke up with a wet bum I'm happy to report (though many people here seemed to think they would!) and it rained from 3am until about 9am. Lovely. Got another 100ltrs in my water butt so fairly significant from my point of view.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to have nights like that, I think you're right in that you need a few more under the belt.

I'd get off to sleep okay but it would be in the morning when I'd be awake every half hour or so

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You chest infection would not have helped at all especially if sleeping on your back; a tad silly to go camping with a chest infection really chap.

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
I probably wouldn't sleep fitfully if I had the responsibility of youngsters under my care.

Same is true for me, i sleep fitfully at best if theres kids to look after, whether its my own or the older lot from the drop in.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
You chest infection would not have helped at all especially if sleeping on your back; a tad silly to go camping with a chest infection really chap.

Couldn't easily cancel it unfortunately and wasn't really aware of it until about bedtime.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Worst night's sleep - in a Finnish open-fronted laavu, mosquitos, damp air pouring in from the lake and wetting our bags, steady warthog noises all night from the other side of the laavu. I actually didn't sleep at all. Slept well the next night 'though...

I hardly ever sleep well first night out. After that I'm fine.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Worst nights sleep - Angle Tarn, Hartsop in the Lakes this spring. Two Terra Nova tents flattened and one Gelert Solo which normally sheds tornados without moving. I was safe in my Saturn bivvy but spent the night being rolled up and down a hill by the wind, totalled around 20 minutes sleep for the whole 9 hours I was in there.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I "Sleep with the Angels" as they say here when I use my Hennessy. Of course I don't have scouts with night terrors in the immediate proximity, just armadillos rummaging around in the leaves. They sound surprisingly like humans until you know what they are. It's like being surrounded by zombies wandering around outside the firelight. We have also had wild horses wander in and poke their heads under the tarps to see if the hammocks are full of anything edible. That can be disconcerting.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Actually my very worst night's non-sleep was, a bit like Shewie's, up at Sprinkling Tarn in the Lakes in August. Useless Vango tent (Spirit 300) flattened by a modest blow which left the better quality tents unscathed. No sleep at all, as night spent holding up the bent poles.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Actually my very worst night's non-sleep was, a bit like Shewie's, up at Sprinkling Tarn in the Lakes in August. Useless Vango tent (Spirit 300) flattened by a modest blow which left the better quality tents unscathed. No sleep at all, as night spent holding up the bent poles.

Just out of interest - had you clipped in the tension bands?

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
My worst nights in the bush...

Wrapped up in a poncho on the only piece of flat ground we could find at 3:30 AM. It started to rain. At 5:30 we realized we were sleeping on the edge of a dirt road when a pick-up rumbled by. We were so exhausted we didn't even look around the night before when we laid down in what we thought was a clearing.

Hammock camping with tropical weight gear in Brazil. The draft in the valley bottom was about 40 degrees F from about midnight to dawn. The daytime temps were in the low 80s. I gave my daughter all the extra clothes and stamped the night away trying to stay warm. We weren't able ot make a fire due to the fire hazard conditions, crispy dry.

Mountain camping in Brazil. We went to bed with a totally cloud free sky. I neglected to rig up overhead cover deeming it an unnecessary buzz-kill for the star display that night. I woke up at 3 AM with huge raindrops hitting my face, we were in clouds. The sky opened up into a tropical downpour which soon invaded my bivy. At least our water crisis was over, we were down to a half quart.

Camping in brush country, Brazil, I got into chiggers and wound up with about 150 insanely itching bites. Three unbearable nights of only falling asleep pre-dawn from sheer exhaustion. Permethrin is your friend.

Mac

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
I would have said spending a cold raining night sharing a 58 sleeping bag between two of is after a crash move had gone off without being prepared for it, no pun intended. But then I read some of these tales and hold my manhood cheap...:eek:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I struggle with sleeping most nights so when out camping it's always very difficult..

The worst night out though was probably one a few years back in october in a tent we used to call the 'jelly' (as it couldn't handle winds) that had been left damp in my shed for too long and was quite mouldy.

the night consisted of drinking too much, eating badly cooked tins of 'food' and then all 4 of us trying trying to fit into the two man jelly tent and having nothing to keep warm other than our clothes..

woke up shivering like never before with a nasty cough but finally managed to get a big grass fire going to warm up before leaving at 6am. It didn't help that my companions were possibly the dirtiest/unhygenic stinking bunch around.

quite unpelasant but very fond memories!

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
people dont beleve me when i tell them , but i sleep on the ground in a bivi and a basha over me , i sleep better in that than in my own bed at home , every time i sleep that way or go on a meet i have to get woke up otherwise il sleep all day

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE